Floating .22 | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Floating .22

WDfrmTN

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:
Kayak Jack said:
WDfrmTN said:
Sad news! When they were from Armalite (USAF MA1 survival rifle, AR7, etc) then Charter Arms ('Explorer' variants added), they were good. What kind of ammo were you running?
Remington 575 Viper 22 Hyper Velocity

<Remington 575 Viper 22 Hyper Velocity>

There is a good reason that ALL target grade .22 rimfire ammo is sub-sonic.

All the velocity in or out of the world is useless if goes whistling past the target. A tossed rock that hits is far superior!

Buy a selection of sub-sonic ammo (under @ 1,100 FPS) and allow the gun to tell you what it likes. From endless rimfires experimentation I can state with some conviction that the CCI MiniMag hi-vel round is the most likely to shoot well, but it will NEVER be mistaken for Target grade!

One of the cheap bulk-pak ammos that has worked pretty darn well in a lot of guns I've ran it thru---both in function AND accuracy is Federal AutoMatch. And a few have detested it. :-\

"Your mileage is virtually certain to vary"! ;-)

But you got a few starting places. OF

PS: Vipers are STILL the worst accuracy I've EVER experienced! Any rifle is only as good as what you feed it!
I found the best results with and older Explorer from CCI "Stinger", so far as "all-round". Some lower vel rounds wouldn't cycle the action all the time, and the accuracy was "acceptable". But, for survival, I'd go with more accuracy and hand-cycle the rounds - can't eat what ya can't hit!

islandpiper

I've gotta tell ya, it's about to drive me nuts having this new rifle and not having a chance to get out shooting with it. There, now i feel better.
I'm going to see Seedtick on monday, maybe i can puncture a couple of pop cans with it. I'll have to beg some of course, and probably take donuts.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:
oldsparkey said:
Donuts for targets ....:?: :?: :?: ..... The center is missing in them. :roll:

That's how Jack can tell he scored a bullseye----if the rest of the donut remains intact is evidence that his shot passed cleanly through the hole! :D :wink:

Thanks for that incite into a dark mystery I have had ......You answered a question I have had for a long time and now I know......... Where.......

Jack gets those donuts that look like Swiss Cheese. :wink:

islandpiper

I got my new Marlin 70-PSS Papoose out and fired it yesterday. Right out of the box it seems to shoot really high, so I slid the rear sight down and got it to shoot closer. I'll sight it in on sandbags another time and it will be OK. I followed the manual and hand-tightened the locking ring on the barrel. After about five shots it was loose. Tightened again. five shots, it was loose. Well, if it hadn't have been so lazy i would have walked back to the car and got the little spanner tool that came with it and reefed it down a bit tighter. My fault, not the weapon.

Outside of that, it ran good, trigger is a bit firm, easy action, good feel in the hand, sights that old men can see. Initial response is YES, I'LL KEEP IT.....nice unit. Beyond just a novelty rifle.

piper

islandpiper

Oh, by the way. I was shooting braced against a tree, shooting at a one inch circle on cardboard about fifty feet away and hitting a little high. Old Keith shot, standing, with no brace, all free hand and popped the target circle two out of five shots. So, i won't blame any aiming troubles on the sights, more like MY SIGHT that is at fault no doubt. piper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Did you try it with the spanner? Or are you assuming that tightening with the spanner will fix it?

I imagine the spanner will take care of it, but I'm wondering if you were able to prove it by using it. (I'm thinking about ordering one of these, so I am interested in your experience)

George

islandpiper

George, i think it was a combination of finger tight (with 59 year old fingers) and the cold action and warm barrel after shooting , and the thermal change brought it on. The spanner, a fancified door-lock-fitting tool is about five inches long and you can get lots of torque with it. The spanner came with no hole in it, and I'll remedy that problem and make a pocket for it on the sling i just made so that it will never be far from the weapon again. The hole would let me tie it to my belt or whatever in a pinch. Further, i think a hole near one end instead of right in the middle might be smarter. i have a half a box of assorted holes in storage someplace here, and if I can't find 'em, I'll just drill a new one. piper

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
gbinga said:
Did you try it with the spanner? Or are you assuming that tightening with the spanner will fix it?
I imagine the spanner will take care of it, but I'm wondering if you were able to prove it by using it. (I'm thinking about ordering one of these, so I am interested in your experience) George

Speaking only from my own experience (I was the culprit who suggested the Papoose to Piper in lieu of the much maligned AR-7) I've NEVER had a problem with the barrel loosening even in extended shooting sessions.

Your mileage may vary.

islandpiper

Mine is really new and clean. I might take it out of the bag and let it all kick around in the back seat of my Mazda for a while. A little ketchup, some gatoraide, french fry grease, swamp mud, cat hair and lawn mowing dust in the joint and it'll fit just fine.

piper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
islandpiper said:
Mine is really new and clean. I might take it out of the bag and let it all kick around in the back seat of my Mazda for a while. A little ketchup, some gatoraide, french fry grease, swamp mud, cat hair and lawn mowing dust in the joint and it'll fit just fine.

piper

Good strategery. Dribble a little bit of beer on it first to enhance adhesion.