Floating .22 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Floating .22

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bilgerat said:
While we're on the subject of .22 rifles, I have a Nylon 66 in black with the chrome plate. I bought it from some idiot for $20 after he disassembled it for cleaning after firing his first box of cartridges. He couldn't get it back together! :lol:

Mike

Is that called self destruction. :wink:
By the way if you are trespassing on the Audubon property shooting roosting Turkeys the CB caps are the nut's. They will furnish a lot of Turkey dinners......all head shots with no one knowing you are there getting dinner...... DON'T ASK .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Several families were fed quite nicely for a few days back in the good ole days

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
oldsparkey said:
By the way if you are trespassing on the Audubon property shooting roosting Turkeys the CB caps are the nut's. They will furnish a lot of Turkey dinners......all head shots with no one knowing you are there getting dinner......DON'T ASK

It's a deal-----if you won't ask about doing the same thing with pellet guns----but NOT off the roost. Tho if times get hard enough-------- :wink:

Note: a GOOD pellet gun is both quieter AND more accurate than CBs.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:
oldsparkey said:
By the way if you are trespassing on the Audubon property shooting roosting Turkeys the CB caps are the nut's. They will furnish a lot of Turkey dinners......all head shots with no one knowing you are there getting dinner......DON'T ASK

It's a deal-----if you won't ask about doing the same thing with pellet guns----but NOT off the roost. Tho if times get hard enough-------- :wink:

Note: a GOOD pellet gun is both quieter AND more accurate than CBs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Like you if times get bad , I will not starve , just revert back to times past. ( Not saying that was me , No Sir , No Way)

Chuck.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Bilgerat said:
I have the Remington----I put many rounds of .22 shorts through it. Lots of fun! My Browning is .22 Long Rifle.Mike

Mike:
Do me a favor-----look to see the exact model # and whether the legend on the barrels sez 'Shorts Only' or "Shorts, Long & Long Rifle'. I'm trying to drag from the dim recesses of my memory the difference in models between the 'shorts' only model and the 'other' one without any luck and I'm the sort that will lose sleep over it. :? Tom

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Tom,

I was wrong about the UMC stamp. It is stamped Remington. It is a model 24, S/N 702xx. The barrel is stamped ".22 Short - Lesmoke or Smokeless, Greased".

I don't think they made one that would feed both shorts and long rifles.

Description:
Autoloading Rifle
Introduction Year:

Year Discontinued:

Total Production:
Approximately: 130,420

Designer/Inventor:
John M. Browning, C.C. Loomis

Action Type:
Autoloading Rifle

Caliber/Gauge:
.22 short, .22 long rifle (not interchangeable)

Serial Number Blocks:
Starting: 00001
Ending: 130425

Grades Offered:
24A Standard
24C Special
24D Peerless
24E Expert
24F Premier

Variations:
None

3288435131_4a11bca728_o.jpg

3288435091_596786a595_o.jpg

Mike

Oh, and Chuck, I never hunted on any prison property back in the '70s, either. That would just be wrong. :roll:

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Bilgerat said:
It is stamped Remington. It is a model 24, S/N 702xx. The barrel is stamped ".22 Short - Lesmoke or Smokeless, Greased".Mike

Thanks Mike! That verifies my memory that the one I had was the M-241 which was the 'other' category. I'll sleep much better tonight. :wink: Tom

Edit: While the Browning is a stylish and voluptuous lass I just prefer the slim 'working girl' fore-end on the Remington version. An old fart thing I suspect. 8)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I inherited a Remington 550 from my Dad. He advised me to "trust the long rifle, be wary of longs, and don't trust the shorts." in the gun. A few rounds, the action got sticky, and weaker rounds wouldn't actuate the recoil operated action.

The gun is a good plinker, but a long ways from a tack driver.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Don't know how I missed this thread. Mention old Remingtons and youv'e got my attention. I have a slew if them. Love them all.When I was 16 my Grandfather gave me his Model 33 thathe bought brand new in 1941. Waiting to see which of my grandsonswill appreciate and respect it. From the little 33 to the 541T I like em all.
Bob

dawallace45

I found that best 50 list very interesting , there were several guns not on that list I really do think should have been , there were 12 guns on that List I've never shot and I've owned 20 guns from that list over the years , actually 21 if you count the Remington Apache as a nylon 66

David

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
islandpiper said:
P priced up one of those break-down .22s last week in a local shop. They had the black one and the camo one, each were $325 or so......dang.
piper
That seems too high a shop near me lists black and silver ones for $190 and $241 for the camo.

islandpiper

I stood in the store and felt one of those......and changed hands......and looked close......and wrapped my hand around the pistol grip, then smiled and gave it back to the salesman and thanked him for his time.

The grip was way too bulky, as a result of having to put the barrel and front sight into it, and the main stock was "bulbous" , because the action, two clips and the barrel all have to fit inside.

So, i looked around and ordered a Marlin Papoose 70PSS , Poly stock hat you can put a couple spare mags into if you want, all stainless barrel and action and the good old reliable Marlin Auto Loader Action. Chromed Magazines. Bolt holds open after last shot. The barrel has a screw locking ring and dis-assembles at the front of the short forend of the stock, giving you two pieces which fit into the manuf. padded, floating carry bag. All grooved for scope, etc.

Mine is coming to a shop in Baton Rouge, may be in on MOnday and if so, i'll pop over and get it. Whenever I can, I'll get pics and post them here. There's lots online you can look at. I wanted a .22 LR I could carry in the swamp and actually USE not just COLLECT.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It's an interesting, but a bit disappointing gun. Shoots to one side pretty badly, and I have to slide front sight way over. When I ground down the front sight to raise point of impact, it was plastic! Maybe I should've gotten one like Pipers.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Mmmm. That's unfortunate. I could tolerate funky stock dimensions for the sake of being able to store everything inside.

Gonna wait and see how Piper likes his Marlin. Better to observe other people's experiments than to reach inside my own wallet! :twisted:

I travel quite a bit. I'd like to have a .22 rifle in my bug-out bag in case of emergency. I generally keep a pistol with me, but a .22 would be a lot more useful in some situations.

GBinGA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, I broke my own rule here for the sake of convenient storage. The one, and only, characteristic a gun should have is accuracy. If it doesn't have that - nothing else about it matters. Just like a knife should always be sharp. If it isn't, nothing else about it matters. sigh

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Hard to figure what you could do with a .22 that didn't require accuracy. They are good for a lot of things, but all of those things require hitting a pretty small mark.

gb