Floating .22 | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Floating .22

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
piper i have a marlin 22 semi auto like you talking about . it is a sweet shooting gun. also i have a marlin 22mag 783 bolt action that also is sweet shooting gun. up too a certain distance it is very accurate & for the size of the bullet has a punch. :D

i don,t believe no one would be disapointed in the purchase of one.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
On the Papoose, I wonder if it would be practical with a scope. If anyone has used one with the scope, does it hold point of impact after removing and reinstalling the barrel? You would have to make the barrel-to-receiver joint to pretty tight tolerances to accomplish that, I think, since the scope is on the receiver.

GBinGA

islandpiper

The Papoose is touted as being scope-ready and will fit in the bag with a scope, etc. I'm thinking that the barrel/receiver connection must be pretty stout or the chamber pressures would be high trying to push the slug around a corner, so to speak. I don't have any extra glass sitting around here, but if i did, i'd scope it just for fun. I'll bet there is a bunch of "internet experts" who could chime in on this on almost any .22 forum.

piper

WDfrmTN

Wannabe said:
Don't know how I missed this thread. Mention old Remingtons and youv'e got my attention. I have a slew if them. Love them all.When I was 16 my Grandfather gave me his Model 33 thathe bought brand new in 1941. Waiting to see which of my grandsonswill appreciate and respect it. From the little 33 to the 541T I like em all.
Bob
Man...bored and perusing old threads...found this.
Here's my son & his....
Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

WDfrmTN

Kayak Jack said:
It's an interesting, but a bit disappointing gun. Shoots to one side pretty badly, and I have to slide front sight way over. When I ground down the front sight to raise point of impact, it was plastic! Maybe I should've gotten one like Pipers.
Sad news!
When they were from Armalite (USAF MA1 survival rifle, AR7, etc) then Charter Arms ('Explorer' variants added), they were good.
What kind of ammo were you running?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
WDfrmTN,
If'n that's not a 33 it should be. My grandfather bought the one he gave me in 1941. Look on the left side of the bbl next to the receiver and give me the letter code and I can tell you the year it was made.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
islandpiper said:
Mr. Wannabe, if i tell you what letter the aliens tattooed behind my left ear can you tell me what model year I am, too?

piper

Piper,
NO, I CANNOT. But send them anyway and maby I can tell you what they did to you. You have been warned before about not wearing your tinfoil hat.
Bob

WDfrmTN

Wannabe said:
WDfrmTN,
If'n that's not a 33 it should be. My grandfather bought the one he gave me in 1941. Look on the left side of the bbl next to the receiver and give me the letter code and I can tell you the year it was made.
Bob
I researched it when I found it, but forgot. Wanna say it's a '34.

islandpiper

Well , I got my new Marlin Papoose 70PSS today. New in the box, with all the manual, cards, tool, floating bag, etc, etc. Pretty spiffy. Assembles easy and fast. All the sights are on the barrel, and the barrel assy includes the breech so there is no chance of leakage or "out of alignment' sighting. Clean workmanship, Made in the USA, nice materials. All stainless which has the added advantage of being more visible leaned up against a tree for us old fartes. ( I know a guy in Michigan who has owned several battery headlamps, they were camo.......) Here's a ton of pictures. No I have not shot it yet......looking forward to it.

DSCF0179.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

DSCF0184.jpg

DSCF0185.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg

DSCF0188.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

piper (with an itchy trigger finger)

islandpiper

I showed it to a friend today (you know who you are......I won't tell) who was assembling it and mentioned that it would be nice if there was a clear "right" way to put the barrel in.......i suggested just keeping the sights up on top someplace, and it slipped right in. Good design and engineering i guess.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Very nice, piper. All weather stock, action and barrel will make a great boat gun. It's small size makes it more likely to actually be with you wherever you go (possibly the best feature). I have a 40 year old Marlin model 60 22 rifle with a very similar looking action. A real trooper and accurate too.

Joey

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Kayak Jack said:
WDfrmTN said:
Sad news! When they were from Armalite (USAF MA1 survival rifle, AR7, etc) then Charter Arms ('Explorer' variants added), they were good. What kind of ammo were you running?
Remington 575 Viper 22 Hyper Velocity

<Remington 575 Viper 22 Hyper Velocity>

There is a good reason that ALL target grade .22 rimfire ammo is sub-sonic.

All the velocity in or out of the world is useless if goes whistling past the target. A tossed rock that hits is far superior!

Buy a selection of sub-sonic ammo (under @ 1,100 FPS) and allow the gun to tell you what it likes. From endless rimfires experimentation I can state with some conviction that the CCI MiniMag hi-vel round is the most likely to shoot well, but it will NEVER be mistaken for Target grade!

One of the cheap bulk-pak ammos that has worked pretty darn well in a lot of guns I've ran it thru---both in function AND accuracy is Federal AutoMatch. And a few have detested it. :-\

"Your mileage is virtually certain to vary"! ;-)

But you got a few starting places. OF

PS: Vipers are STILL the worst accuracy I've EVER experienced! Any rifle is only as good as what you feed it!