forgot something | SouthernPaddler.com

forgot something

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, geezerdom has set in. I forgot my grill on our Lake Verret trip. Serves me right for not doing a proper check list. But Piper saved the day with his on-the-spot tripod and pot holder. We didn't suffer for lack of a measly grill. We had spicy chicken wings the first night and fried catfish on the second night. Will make a list next time and READ IT.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Well, geezerdom has set in. I forgot my grill on our Lake Verret trip. Serves me right for not doing a proper check list. But Piper saved the day with his on-the-spot tripod and pot holder. We didn't suffer for lack of a measly grill. We had spicy chicken wings the first night and fried catfish on the second night. Will make a list next time and READ IT.

Joey

Read It :? :? Pack It.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Sherri and I have check lists typed up for camper trips and for boating trips.

Not that I always read the durn things. I left my little Weber charcoal grill out on our last camping trip. Had to pan-fry the steaks. Just ain't the same.

I still like the hanging stick that piper rigged up with the tripod. I may be the last guy to have learned that trick, but I think it is cool.

GBinGA

islandpiper

Dang.......that's the way i have usually done it. I like a rope hanger but for deep frying then para cord is dangerous. I used para cord to make that tripod, but with all the palm family trees in that swamp i'll bet we could have made some native cordage and done OK. The real secret to eating good is the DO........any fool can make food in a ten pound pot.

The nice thing about that tripod was being able to just lift it up, and set it aside to get the pot off the heat completely, instantly. Some of the big commercial metal tripods don't work that fast. And, we didn't have to paddle this one in or out. I suppose that a couple feet of baling wire might have made it faster......or Joey could have just brought the grill. Either way, ti was a GREAT TRIP. I got a nice thank you note from the Lake View Mosquito's Rights Organization for feeding them a couple of days. They said my O-Positive (the Universal Donor) hit the spot.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'm am still impressed with the ease of cooking with the DO. Build a little fire, throw some good ingredients in the pot and cook away. I've only been out twice with Piper but this is some of the stuff I've had from his DO. Cornish game hen w/cornbread dressing, french toast, homemade potato chips, pan fried catfish, deep fried catfish, potatoes with bacon and onion, spicy chicken wings, apple cobbler. Might be a couple I missed, but it was all good.

islandpiper

Making Ice Cream, or at least a good Sorbet would be really easy in Iron River, on the back porch, anytime between Christmas and about March 1st. Use five coals under the DO and four on top so it doesn't freeze too fast, that produces larger ice crystals!

piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
I suppose that a couple feet of baling wire might have made it faster.
seems rope would do fine ta make the tripod, but some chain with a "S" hook on each end would be nice. Next, fixin' some shelves on the sides of the tripod like them folks on the Buffalo River will make it even more eazy ta use. [I figger they scavenged the shelves....didn't tote 'em in, but 2-3 wood slats bout 5"x15" caint weigh much.] Looked like a good spot fer the Zatarains, cookin' spoons, sippin' whiskey, fish sauce, jalapenos, onions, cheese 'n other cookin' stuff.

Cabelas likely sells one made frum Kryptonite that costs $125.

The best thing I see bout a DO iz heat control......without batteries. [grin]

regards
bearridge

ps Here iz one that gives ya a grill 'er DO choice. http://www.discountoutdoorkitchens.com/nacotr1.html

I don't have no fear of death. My only fear is coming back reincarnated.  Tupac Shakur

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
ps Here iz one that gives ya a grill 'er DO choice. http://www.discountoutdoorkitchens.com/nacotr1.html

Bear .. Ya folks want $49.95 Discounted from $69.99 which is way more then Cabelas who is asking only $34.95 as an everyday normal price , a $ 15.04 savings over your folks discounted price...... :roll: LAWYERS. . :roll:

That is what Joe ( Lazyriverguy) takes to cook on when camping , even makes coffee on it , just set the pot on one side. He puts it to use as a grill for meats , cooking surface for pots and as a warmer for the cooked food.
Where the chain attaches to that one leg , just move it up or down to adjust the grid when cooking.

s7_512974_imageset_01

Chuck.

Steve

I dunno, Jimmy, that pipe used to make that is galvanized. . . Galvanized stuff. . .get it too hot, or burning some. .. the stuff can make ya sick. . . Could be okay, used like it is. . . but, I've been galvanized poisoned too many times to ever want it to happen again. . .

My recommendation, speaking strictly as a pipefitter. . . galvanized metals and fire due not mix and can become health hazards. . .

Milk is a fix for galvanized poisoning. . . but sometimes there is not enough milk in the entire county to make ya feel better, I Gar-Ron-Tee...................................

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
With just a small fire for cooking, the tripod shouldn't get too hot. I've seen wood ones like Piper made get used without burning. Besides it is possible to get aluminum or stainless steel conduit.

Steve

Yeah, fully understood, there, Jimmy. . . I just felt that maybe a little safety warning might be in order for the guys on here who might decide to use anything galvanized. . . you know how some of these guys are, they need a forest fire to boil an egg in a hurry :D :lol: :lol: . . . . .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good eye, Steve. A more common source of campers getting heavy metal poisoning, like zinc or cadmium, is from old refrigerator grates used on the fire or in a smoker. Laying meat right on one of those suckers can be bad.

Jimmy, your call on the wood is good too. Three chunks of wood (bamboo would work well here for carrying in a canoe) and some loose, rope lashing would be simple and handy. A length of dog chain with "S" hooks in each end, and that round grate added for versatility would make a camp kitchen that even a voyageur would lust for.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I think Keith's four stick tripod is a stroke of genius. So obvious that few would even think of it. i know, I hadn't :oops: Thanks mate, great tip.

Why go to the trouble of buying and then bloody carrying a tripod when all one nees is a little para cord an a good knife. We take the knife and cord anyway. bamboo would also work very well, but again why carry it when one can cut four sticks just about anywhere.

Our boats fill up with other stuff all too quickly as it is. A tripod is just one more unnecessary thing to find room for. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve said:
Yeah, fully understood, there, Jimmy. . . I just felt that maybe a little safety warning might be in order for the guys on here who might decide to use anything galvanized. . . you know how some of these guys are, they need a forest fire to boil an egg in a hurry :D :lol: :lol: . . . . .

Steve....

A Question to you since you have been there and have personal knowledge about this. Might call it a What If Question or questions for you. :D

1. Since the person is cooking outdoors with plenty of fresh air around them and with any smarts they are up wind from the fire ( That can be debated since I have seen a lot of folks stand down wind) For the sake of arguments lets say they are smart enough to be up wind from the fire. Still With Me. ?????

2. They are using a small fire like any normal person does when cooking something on a grill or just some hot coals after the fire dies down and if the needs comes up then adding a few small sticks to help the fire do it's work and make the steaks taste great. You know , sensible camp cooks.

3. Assuming they have the knowledge of where the position is to place the grill over the fire to cook the meat on it and the legs of the Galvanized metal are away from the fire as they should be. ( Still with me on this thought ????)

4. Would you say they are in any danger of the galvanizing poison effecting them. ( Not yet , Hold onto ya hat and thoughts ...... one more question.) :lol:

5. Lets say if the answer happens to be Yes to #4. Then they have gone one more step for protection and spray painted the tripod with some of the heat resistant paint for car manifolds ( with stands 2,000 degrees or somewhere in that area , anyway a lot more then an open fire will contribute to the tripod , which sure would make some charcoaled steaks ) Are they still in danger. ? Not taking into the thought that there supper could be ground up and used with some epoxy on the bottom of the boat in place of the graphite. :roll:

Just thinking it would be a good outfit to have on the river and even better in a established campground where they have those fire rings. The grills on them are DISGUSTING and no way I would ever cook anything to eat on one of them.

Looking forward to your response and NO I do not eat the Trash Can Turkeys that the Scouts like to do in the Galvanized trash cans. I have a can of Vienna's instead with some Ritz Crackers , a safe meal. :D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

I have a lil gal welding experience too mate.

I don't think a galvanized tripod would pose any significant health problems.

The problem with gal is the fumes emitted when the galvanizing is melted or burnt as is welding or thermal cutting.

A normal wood fire would not get hot enough to create a similar affect though I would hesitate to cook directly on galvanized steel.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The legs on this come apart into sections for storage , the grill is chrome like a normal grill.

s7_512974_imageset_01

Lazyriverguy has been using one for a long time and I liked what he can do with it , not saying he is right in the head. Figured that came around from paddling to many rivers and running a canoe outpost. Heck he is even making a wood boat , need I say anymore. :wink:
Besides any meat tastes a lot better done over a fire ( Just call me a Cave Man :lol: )

Thinking of doing what that one guy did , pack the legs and the rest in a PVC tube for transport and having the grill packed separate. Or one of those carrying bags the folding camp chairs come in...I have several of them. They are good to have after the chair breaks down , the bags for them will hold 2 bottles of Bourbon or 3 Nalgeng bottles of water per bag and they even have a carrying strap attached. :D

One of the trips I used his outfit ( Joe was with us) to do some large and long sausages for the gang and it was a breeze to do , no worries about them falling into the fire and some easy clean up. Did have to do two batches ( The one trouble of cooking supper with 12 guys on a trip ) but what the heck all of us had a good supper and that is all that counts.

After supper we moved the outfit over out of the way and then had hot coals to start the camping fire for the evening. :D In the morning Joe had it back over the colas from the campfire and cooking a pot of Coffee with the help of some left over firewood.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
hairymick said:
I think Keith's four stick tripod is a stroke of genius. So obvious that few would even think of it. i know, I hadn't :oops: ...

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's just elegant. I honestly don't camp very often (except in the Airstream, which doesn't really count), but I will remember that trick.

GBinGA

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
George, George.....only in your Airstream? Say it aint so..... Ya gotta git on the 12 step stairway quick. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life.  Theodore Roosevelt