Fried Okra | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Fried Okra

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a new recipe.

It comes from Auburn CA. Auburn was originally called Growlersburg, because nuggets in the nearby American River were so big they growled as they rolled around in gold pans. Later, the name changed to Hangtown, because they hung a few guys there. (Last time I was there, a jukebox in a bar was where the old hanging tree used to be.)

One day a miner struck a glory hole on the American, and came to town with a sack full of gold. In the diner, he ordered, "The two most expensive things on the menu!". They happened to be oysters and eggs. And, an oyster omelet (without bacon) has been called a Hangtown Fry ever since.

(This is the "GEE WHIZ!" information of the day.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
That's a new recipe.

It comes from Auburn CA. Auburn was originally called Growlersburg, because nuggets in the nearby American River were so big they growled as they rolled around in gold pans. Later, the name changed to Hangtown, because they hung a few guys there. (Last time I was there, a jukebox in a bar was where the old hanging tree used to be.)

Darn good thing the Jukebox replaced the hanging tree when you were there. :lol:

This nation has a lot of history that will be lost forever , it is good to know just a part of it. :D :D

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Chuck is right about pickled okra. Excellent snack.

And there is nothing slimy about the stuff if it is breaded and fried, or used in a soup or stew, or pickled. Now boiling it all by itself, that is just gross. I know people do that, but if that is the only way you have ever tried okra, then you got ripped off. There are a lot of good foods that can be ruined by cooking them the wrong way.

My experience with growing and picking okra is that if the spines are bothering you then you may be letting it get too big before you picked it. I try to pick at no more than four inches total length.

It is possible that I am just not sensitive to the spines... I've always heard people complain about that and never figured out what the problem was.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
This ole big Texas whimp wears gloves when picking okra. Okra will not grow in cool weather. I've been waiting two days for some to get big enough to pick. In hot weather if you wait two or three days before picking you will a foot long okra pod.
Bob

islandpiper

As for boiling it, I think if you start with two quarts of water and bring it to a boil, then drop in the washed okra and add one cup of household ammonia that the slime will gel up and not be so nasty. (your house will smell like a sheep barn, but what the heck.....it's okra season!!)

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Growing up, my mama made what she called smothered okra. It was cut up in small pieces, onions added and cooked in a covered pot low and slow. The outer flesh would cook down to a real soft state-----not slimy at all. It was quite dark and had a nice nutty flavor.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yes, nutty as charged. And damned proud of it! 8)

To borrow a signature from another forum. " Too many freaks-- not enough circuses." :mrgreen:

islandpiper

Mr. Wannabe, based on your recommendation I scooped some fried okra onto my plate today at the Ryan's Buffet. I must admit, it was OK. It will never be my favorite food, but it's edible. thanks for the tip! Now if we can get Jack to sit down to a plate of grits the cosmos will be in balance. piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Had Fried Shrimp last night with Fried Okra and hush Puppies along with some coleslaw , the wife had Red Beans and Rice with hers. "O" Had a good helping of fried Onion Rings for both of us also with lots of Ice Tea........ Darn Good. :D

No Grits .... :twisted: "O"oop's those were with breakfast.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
islandpiper said:
Mr. Wannabe, based on your recommendation I scooped some fried okra onto my plate today at the Ryan's Buffet. I must admit, it was OK. It will never be my favorite food, but it's edible. thanks for the tip! Now if we can get Jack to sit down to a plate of grits the cosmos will be in balance. piper

Piper,
I'm glad that liked the okra. I have never eaten okra at Ryans, but if it is like it is at most places it has a heavy breading on it. When Mrs B sixes it she salts and peppers the okra and lets it sit for a while. Then she sprinkles cornmeal on it and tosses the okra to give it a very thin coating of cornmeal on it. If Nathan and I have been very good she will fine chop some jalapenos and put it in the mix. Then she fries it in the skillet. When she cooks black eyed peas she will throw a few small pods of okra and some jalapenos in the pot with the peas.
I planted about 20 okra seed and have eaten a lot of okra off them and given okra away. When the crisper in the frig gets a bunch of okra in it I will chop it up, bag it and freeze it. Tonight I chopped up four quarts and bagged a quart of small ones for peas. When I put them in the freezer I counted the bags of okra and I have 10 gal. of frozen okra. I was thinking of doubeling up on the amount of okra to plant next year, but I am going to have to rethink that.
Bob

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Okra is great in gumbo. I need to find some seeds for next Spring. Does the spineless variety have a particular name or is it just called spineless okra?

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yall making me hungry talking about all that okra an black eyed peas. :wink: :D sparky your supper don,t sound have bad either. bob 20 plants aint no okra wait till you have about an acaer or more. then you can cut it every other day and it starts running out your ears. :mrgreen:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
catfish said:
yall making me hungry talking about all that okra an black eyed peas. :wink: :D sparky your supper don,t sound have bad either. bob 20 plants aint no okra wait till you have about an acaer or more. then you can cut it every other day and it starts running out your ears. :mrgreen:
Catfish,
An acre of okra would be enough to supply a couple of grocery stores for a good while. Make yourself a little chunk of change doing it. I wish you lived closer to Piper so you could make him some real fried okra. :D :D :D
Bob