glassing pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

glassing pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
bluegrasslover said:
jdupre' said:
What I was thinking of doing was to do the bottom and sides with all one piece. Starting from the middle of the bottom, I would apply epoxy across the bottom and sides and up to the gunwales. I thought I would wait for that coat to firm up and then trim the excess at the junction of the gunwhales and the sides. Too much to ask for?

Having done this only once I tried to do what I *think* you're talking about. I tried to do the bottom with one piece with excess past the gunwales. I have rub rails which pushed the fabric off the sides to about 1.5" to 2" from the rub rails. I was able to get it much closer to the bottom of the rub rails cutting it more to size.

This is how I was originally going to do it.
042009_203301.jpg

It was cut closer that the picture shows. After seeing how it pulled away I stopped, got my scissors and cut it to right beneath the rub rail.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks.

Joey

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I have been doing it differently from Jack. I start in the middle and work toward both ends. I go toward one end a ways then go toward the other end for a while then switch again. Jack is in the ballpark on the time though.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Jimmy's suggestion about starting in the middle is good. Still, be sure your fingers aren't sticky when you go inside to ...

Heard from behind the bathroom door. "Honey, uhhhh, I have a problem." :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Personally I wear rubber gloves when working with epoxy and try not to get to messy with it. :roll:
As far as the boat goes.
I start in the middle of the bottom and do it to both ends , then start in the middle of one side and again work to the ends. when all of that is done I finish up the ends so everything is laying down like it should.

At this stage of the game I come in with a sharp box cutter and trim the glass along the bottom on the rub rail. After the excess glass is removed I like to brush on some epoxy where the cut was made to seal everything , including any cuts into the wood.

Chuck.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I think that if there were fillets under the rub rails and the rub rails had a good radius maybe it would be easier to have it lying over the rub rail instead of cutting it short like I did. As far as the ends go you can see how I cut it to run parallel to the stems then I went back and put another piece over the stems and overlapping the glass on the sides. I like the way Russel cut his at the stems...so one piece goes from one side across the stem then onto the other side then overlapping the piece from the other side over. That way he had 2 layers at the stems which I wish I had done because some rip rap has already dinged up my stems. :(

Russel's method

Look at how the glass is cut at the stems and you'll see what I mean about the overlapping.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, the glass is on. It actually was a pretty enjoyable experience. I was a bit nervous, but when the first epoxy hit the glass and it immediately went clear, I figured it was not going to be that bad. I put it on all in one piece- sides and bottom. It didn't have to make any cuts anywhere but the stems. I made a parrallel cut along the stems with about an inch over hang, squeegeed that around the stem and did the same for the other side. Larry sent me the slow hardener and I'm glad he did. I didn't feel hurried at all. I was able to go back around several times an tuck everything in. Pics later.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Not near as bad as I thought. It took one hour and twenty minutes. Just got finished trimming the cloth and touching up the gunwales. I figure one fill coat and then a couple of graphite/epoxy coats. It's a kick watching that glass disappear when you spread that epoxy over it. 8)

A couple of pics.

pirglass.jpg

100_0662.jpg

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I trust you ran a little epoxy along the cut line at the sides and rail.

100_0662.jpg

Just for safety's sake to stop any water from getting into the cut .... Ya know like a Band aid on a cut finger. :D

I like the nail heads showing they make a person think it was made the old fashion way , adds some character to it.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I like the nail heads showing they make a person think it was made the old fashion way , adds some character to it.
Yep....mebbe ya oughta call it Frankenstein? [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

ps I like any boat that floats 'n does the job, but I reckon ya'll already figgered that out. lol

The metaphysical insanities of Athanasius, of Loyola, and of Calvin, are, to my understanding, mere lapses into polytheism, differing from paganism only by being more unintelligible.  Thomas Jefferson to Jared Sparks, 1820

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yep, ran a little epoxy along the cut line. That just about closed up the seam. The next coat should take care of it.

Hmmm, "Frankenstein" eh ? Naw, I'm thinking something like "Swamper" as a tribute to Matt's Laker. Also thought about "Pure Joy" - my wife's name and it's the feeling I get paddling her ( the boat, not my wife :roll: :lol: ).

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Applied filler coat this morning. It filled in about 95% of the weave. You can really see all the little flaws with that glossy surface. The only problems I had was the tiny little raised areas where the cloth was creased. Not really enough to bother with. Next comes the graphite.

100_0663.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
So far so good, Chuck. No hazy areas so far. I probably sanded away half of the top veneer on the ply to get down to clean wood. In a couple of bad spots, I had to go down into the second layer of veneer. Had a couple of run-ins with some cypress knees and painted over the sore spots. I had to get down past that. That's why I'm thinking about painting a name or picture on that side - to hide the bad spots. We'll see.

Joey

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
When I worked as a boat-builder the boss always said a good carpenter can disguise the damage.
The photos say you are doing a good job. That glass will keep the plywood from checking and with the graphite will help slide the boat over many snags that would otherwise hang the boat up.