glassing pirogue | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

glassing pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, BB. Will never use Douglas fir ply on anything again. With the significant difference in the hardness of the early wood and the late wood, it is almost impossible to get a truly dead flat surface. The consistency of the grain in tropical woods like okume seem better suited to boat building.

Joey

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
islandpiper said:
Bears Buddy, look......Jdupre' is skinny as a rail, carries about 22 pounds of stuff for a six day trip. The graphite is for looks on his boat, he never hits anything.

piper

He needs to add a few lead ingots to keep it from floating away in the wind!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
Bears Buddy, look......Jdupre' is skinny as a rail, carries about 22 pounds of stuff for a six day trip. The graphite is for looks on his boat, he never hits anything.

piper

Wrong, wrong, wrong! I never carry more than 21lbs. Geez, I guy goes up north and gets a taste of cool air and starts exaggerating. :roll:

:mrgreen:

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Hello, my name is Joey and I am becoming an epoxy addict. Man, is it just me, or does every boat builder start thinking of all the things he can coat with epoxy? Kinda like a guy with a new chain saw- every tree he sees needs trimming or cutting down. I haven't even finished this project and I have 5 other things in mind that could benefit from this wonderful coating.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
jdupre' said:
Hello, my name is Joey and I am becoming an epoxy addict. Man, is it just me, or does every boat builder start thinking of all the things he can coat with epoxy? Kinda like a guy with a new chain saw- every tree he sees needs trimming or cutting down. I haven't even finished this project and I have 5 other things in mind that could benefit from this wonderful coating.

I was just telling my dad that on Sunday. I have some prototype paddles I built and one of the blades was broken when my pirogue almost fell out the back of the truck. Before this project I would have tossed it but I repaired to a like new state using my new found fiber glassing skills! :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:

It is the universal item , there are a lot of uses for it around the house. :D

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Just put on the first epoxy/graphite coat. I got good coverage- very little wood showing through. One more coat tommorow. What's a good rule of thumb to remove the masking tape( I'm using the slow hardener)? Any idea how long it has to cure before I can put it in the water?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I remove mine after the last application starts to set up , about 45 minutes to an hour. It appears to me that as you do more applications of it , those tend to soften up the previous ones so pulling the tape is not a problem....

NOW... I do not get a lot on the tape when doing it. When everything is done let the boat rest for about a week , it will take up to 30 days for the mix to compleatley cure but after a week it can be paddled.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It's kinda slow on the forum, and y'all have all seen this before.

Put the final graphite coat on this morning. It slicked up the bottom pretty well.

100_0665.jpg

100_0666.jpg

Going back out to check for runs.

Joey