1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Got To Love Pirogue Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing and other lies' started by beekeeper, Sep 1, 2015.

1. loafer

loafer Well-Known Member

filleted on the boat and kept on ice to be cooked fresh they are very tasty

2. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

Jack.......

Thanks for the response and like in Michigan we call them a dogfish or mudfish. :D
    I think I have my answered and I guess they don't have any Mud fish , Cypress Bass , Cypress Trout , Bow fin , Dog fish , Mud Pike , Griddle , Grinnel or Choupique in Louisiana.

3. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

I have heard most of the above names. Usually bow fin or grinnel in north Louisiana. South Louisiana = choupique (Cajun) or cotton fish (red neck).
    Ate some fish balls made with choupique one time and they were very good. I'm lazy and the preparation process was pretty lengthily so we have not tried to cook any our self.
    They do put up a respectable fight, but can be very hard on tackle. They are strong and can even pull a rod and reel overboard(never to be found) if the rod is laid across the gunnels of a pirogue while trying to release one. :shock: :x Always secure the rod inside the boat. (Don't ask me how I know this :lol: )

beekeeper

4. beekeeper

The water levels and fishing success have been up and down recently, but always fun to go.
    Hard not to enjoy being on the bayou:
    [​IMG]

Or catching these(2lb./13oz. a very Kentucky around these parts):
    [​IMG]

beekeeper

5. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

Good going, Grampa!

6. beekeeper

Sometimes you have to share the water with another fisherman:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beekeeper

7. Kayak Jack

Beautiful bird. They're around on Michigan waters now too. As a kid, I dreamed of maybe seeing one in the Rockies or Sierras, but not here, in the Great Lakes area. Bald eagles and osprey are the experts. I'm just a toy out there.

8. beekeeper

I don't have anything against motor boats(I have one) but it never ceases to amaze me how none threatning the pirogues are. Paddled within 20' of the tree and the eagle never flinched.

bee

9. Kayak Jack

They've been seeing paddle boats for over 10,000 years, and got used to them. I invented the outboard motor only about 90 years ago.

10. Kayak Jack

It was on a Tuesday

11. beekeeper

Made one of those special trips Friday beror Father's Day. Beesboy and I fished a stretch of the Bayou we had never been on befor. We caught fish all day long and explored new water. He said it could be my Father's Day present. I said I would take one like that every year.:D.
    Ended the day with this one.
    [​IMG]

beekeeper

grandpa paddler likes this.
  12. mike

mike Well-Known Member

Nice fish!!

Mike

13. beekeeper

Thanks, Mike. It was the perfect ending of a great day.

Question; How do you respond to a "Like" received, or do you? Had an Alert today. Clicked on it, and it was a forum member saying he liked my post. I can't figure out how to thank him.

beekeeper

14. Kayak Jack

Isn't that the same fish that JD held to the camera last week? And, maybe, the week before? Hmmmmmm. ;-)
    Billy bass?