Got To Love Pirogue Fishing | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Got To Love Pirogue Fishing

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
What's called a dogfish in Michigan, is a very primitive fish. No good to eat, I've been told. But, then, I suppose that I'm lucky to have never been that hungry to have one taste good. That does indeed make us lucky.

Jack.......

Thanks for the response and like in Michigan we call them a dogfish or mudfish. :D
I think I have my answered and I guess they don't have any Mud fish , Cypress Bass , Cypress Trout , Bow fin , Dog fish , Mud Pike , Griddle , Grinnel or Choupique in Louisiana.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldsparkey said:
You never mention it and I have to ask........

Not sure which name you use for them since different parts of the country have different names for them. I will list a few of them and hope one is right

The fish in question is the Mud fish , Cypress Bass , Cypress Trout , Bow fin , Dog fish , Mud Pike , Griddle , Grinnel and Choupique.

I have heard most of the above names. Usually bow fin or grinnel in north Louisiana. South Louisiana = choupique (Cajun) or cotton fish (red neck).
Ate some fish balls made with choupique one time and they were very good. I'm lazy and the preparation process was pretty lengthily so we have not tried to cook any our self.
They do put up a respectable fight, but can be very hard on tackle. They are strong and can even pull a rod and reel overboard(never to be found) if the rod is laid across the gunnels of a pirogue while trying to release one. :shock: :x Always secure the rod inside the boat. (Don't ask me how I know this :lol: )

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The water levels and fishing success have been up and down recently, but always fun to go.
Hard not to enjoy being on the bayou:

Or catching these(2lb./13oz. a very Kentucky around these parts):

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Beautiful bird. They're around on Michigan waters now too. As a kid, I dreamed of maybe seeing one in the Rockies or Sierras, but not here, in the Great Lakes area. Bald eagles and osprey are the experts. I'm just a toy out there.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I don't have anything against motor boats(I have one) but it never ceases to amaze me how none threatning the pirogues are. Paddled within 20' of the tree and the eagle never flinched.

bee

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Made one of those special trips Friday before Father's Day. Beesboy and I fished a stretch of the Bayou we had never been on before. We caught fish all day long and explored new water. He said it could be my Father's Day present. I said I would take one like that every year.:D.
Ended the day with this one.
100_0319.JPG

beekeeper

Last edited:
Reactions: grandpa paddler

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks, Mike. It was the perfect ending of a great day.

Question; How do you respond to a "Like" received, or do you? Had an Alert today. Clicked on it, and it was a forum member saying he liked my post. I can't figure out how to thank him.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Andy you guessed correctly, up Cotton Valley way. On another try I put in at Dixie Inn (before the last rain) but soon ran out of water.

beekeeper
I made this trip again recently. This time I brought beesboy as reinforcement and was resolved to fish beyond this. I know there are some lunkers above this and nobody else would be working this hard to fish for them.
Not so sure about the lunkers now but the hard work part proved to be true. Made it around this obstacle only to go a short ways and found this trickle. This repeated itself several more times, going and coming. We did not catch any whoppers but it was an adventure. Makes one appreciate the easy trips. To keep my help I have to admit beesboy caught more fish than I did.

100_0370.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
JD, how old is BeeBoy now? I'm glad to see you two out there together.
Jack. beesboy my son and is old enough to probably not want me to tell. The grandson whom I'm guessing your asking about is 16. He will be 17 in Dec. He received his "freedom card" (drivers license) this year so he is not shackled to the old folks as much. They grow up way too fast.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
I made this trip again recently. This time I brought beesboy as reinforcement and was resolved to fish beyond this. I know there are some lunkers above this and nobody else would be working this hard to fish for them.
Not so sure about the lunkers now but the hard work part proved to be true. Made it around this obstacle only to go a short ways and found this trickle. This repeated itself several more times, going and coming. We did not catch any whoppers but it was an adventure. Makes one appreciate the easy trips. To keep my help I have to admit beesboy caught more fish than I did.

View attachment 1175
Thanks for the picture JD. Makes me" home sick,"
spent a wonderful 28 years living a few miles from that place.
Keep fish`n
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Andy, Bayou Dorcheat is probably as close to perfect of a pirogue/fishing spot as one could want. Hard enough to keep the crowds at bay but not so hard as to be work.
Made a short trip to Baudcau but the water was too tainted to fish well. Hope to return after things settle down and the weather cools off.