Gritts | SouthernPaddler.com

Gritts

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Can some-one help me out here please.

I have often heard the term gritts used in relation to food. It is a term that is unknown over here across the drain.

What is it please? and how is it cooked.

bothyman

Jun 20, 2005
Well Mick

You have started something now.

I live in Scotland UK so know nothing about them but I'm sure this mob will tell you all you want to know and more :roll:

MickT

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Grits are nothing more then ground corn that you boil in some water and when done have some eggs or fish or anything you like with them.

Usually a person has a pat or two of butter on the grits with some salt and pepper. Now you can fry left over cold grits and use syruip on that fried gritt patty.

This might help you understand them .. :D

http://www.grits.com/

As Kayak Jack likes to say .. Grits is good , grits is great , now grap your plate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friends Mick 'n MickT,

Cookin' grits aint hard, but like cornbread, it iz mainly what ya put in 'em that makes 'em tasty. I use Zatarains on near bout everthing....makes it eazy ta jest grab one shaker. :wink: I put garlic powder, salt 'n a dash a black pepper too.....then I add double extra sharp cheddar cheese at the end. Oh, I cook 'em in milk.

The sad thing iz ya caint buy real grits at the grocery no more. If ya kin find a grist mill, they likely sell real grits.....I like yellow better'n white. The stuff they sell at the grocery iz ground ta a powder.

oldyaker brung me some grits from the Stanton Mills 'n my nephew Andrew got some from Anson Mills...both are first rate. Look fer Grist-Mill-on-Avon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: or jest go here 'n see how much fer the Brown Truck fellas to bring it ta yer door?

http://www.meadowsmills.com/Stone%20Gro ... oducts.htm

regards,
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. Douglas Adams

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear..........

I use the Arrowhead Mills Grits, they have both white and yellow and are all natural grits, no fillers or any junk..(They are one of Arrowhead Mills Certified Organic products) .. They have a great corn taste to them .... Which they should have since it is corn.
The only stores around here that sells them are the Health Food Stores (Chamberlands All Natural foods)

If you click on this then go to the Hot Cereals and click on that ... bottom of the page you will find both types of grits.
http://www.arrowheadmills.com/products/index.php

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Similar to corn meal Mick but different. Dictionary.com: coarsely ground hulled corn boiled as a breakfast dish in the southern United States [syn: hominy grits]

Let's see, Hmmmmmmmmm. Chuck!
Signs you might be a Yuppie.......Tofu......Mocha Latt'e.............and now certified organic.........The list continues to grow. If you show up this week wearing a green polo shirt, we got ya nailed! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hairymick said:
Can some-one help me out here please.

I have often heard the term gritts used in relation to food. It is a term that is unknown over here across the drain.
Another reason to migrate to Australia - NO GRITZ!!!.

Also, Mick, they aren't related with food. Some primary uses are:

1. Soaking up oil under a leaky engine
2. Substitute for mortar
3. Plugging holes in dikes (the useful kind of dike, that holds back floods)
4. Substitute for rat poison; a rat eats them and dies a horrible death
5. Substrate for road beds
6. Substrate for drainage fields and septic tanks
7. Plaster casts
8. Instant patch for hole in boat whilst still afloat
9. Shrapnel
10. High-piled hair do's
11. Mix with epoxy and apply to boat bottoms for more strength
12. Reflective granules on roofing shingles
13. Non-skid granules in paint for stair steps
14. Substitute for curare on arrow tips

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack ... Now this is WAR...(Pick on grits , will ya)......The No Prisoners type :D

Jack is almost right but he left out the catalyst "O"oop's wrong word .... The acid that we use to dissolve grits when used as he said in the above post.......

Only one thing in this world that will dissolve them and that is a liberal amount of 50 year old Scotch. That is why all the work crews have a 55 gallon barrel of the stuff with them.

On the UP Side ....... :D

For a person eating them there is only one thing to have with them, especial for the evening meal (whenever you think that time is) Some good Southern Sour Mash Bourbon just accents the taste of them and makes a person happy with the world.
Corn is only happy when it can become a gritt or Southern sour mash and make everyone feel good.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Grits iz fer breakfast. If ya eat it any other time ya gotta call it polenta 'er something like that. Rule #5.8(a)(ii) 8) 8)

regards,
bearridge

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ahh now - polenta is corn meal mush - YELLOW corn meal. A food worthy of men. Made with beef broth and studded with remnants of the beef, it is called scrapple. JARVIS good eatin'! Mick, for an Italian version of an American foodstuff, you can go to http://www.italianfoodforever.com/ & click on "RECIPES" in he left-hand sidebar. See "Polenta - all recipes" for ideas.

Americans don't go to as much fuss to cook it, but the difference can be worth it some times. A simple way is to cook up a batch, eat a lot of it, put the rest into a bread tin and refrigerate it 'til the next morning. Slice it & fry it up. Slather some real maple syrup on it and ENJOY. Again - JARVIS good eatin'!

White gritz is what we give to city kids, the ones so naive they eat hot dogs and drink skim milk.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ahhhhhh! Polenta!
Saut'e some loose Italian sausage, drain any fat, pour in some olive oil and saut'e this with 40-50 cloves of chopped garlic. Pour some Italian sauce over that to heat up. Pour your polenta in a large serving platter, smooth over the platter about and inch or so thick. Pour over the polenta the sausage and sauce mix. Grab a fork and a glass of chianti. Bon Appette' ! Italian grits!
Ciao,
Vinnie Yakertini 8)

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Mick, do you have any idea what Hominy is? It is corn soaked in a weak lye solution to where the hull comes off. Grits is the hulled corn ground up coursley. You can make Johneycakes or Hoe cakes... same thing... they are a good filler with a little starch and can be served as breakfast with syrup or dinner as a carb.

dawallace45

Mick

Don't think you will find the white corn meal here in Australia , but the yellow corn meal [ potenta ] is readily available , I use it to make Mexican corn bread and ordinary corn bread , I love the stuff , my wife won't let me eat it too often as she reckons it makes me fat , well fatter actually

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Tex-Mex Cornbread

Tex-Mex Cornbread

1 cup yellow corn meal;
1 1/2 tsp baking powder;
½ Tsp salt;
2 Tbsp oil;
1 tsp sugar;
1 egg, beaten;
1 ea 8 1/2 oz can cream style corn;
½ cup milk (½ cup water + 3 Tbsp powdered milk) (ONLY 1/3 cup if steam baking);
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheese;
Small onion chopped;
2-3 Tbsp jalapenos or peeled green chilies.

8" SQR pan greased, 450F 20-30 minutes; or steam-baked in a plastic bag 35-40 minutes

Dip the cornbread in maple syrup and enjoy JARVIS good eatin'! Only trouble with this is that it takes a beer or three to wash it down.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Ok, I was getting hungry before I read this, now I'm starved.

Got to say, I love a gritty conversation. Little I was to know that my the a side dish to the chicken I'm planning on grilling for dinner would be decided here. I think a little roasted garlic polenta is sounding pretty good.

But this thread sealed the deal for my meal on Wednesday... A good calf liver and grits topped with a breakfast tomato gravey and good a cat-head biscuit help sop up the gravey.

You got to love corn, corn meal, polenta, grits, and so on...Great to eat, with no nutritional value. Good as a meal, a side dish, or a dessert. Give me a good piece of corn bread, or some fried grits topped with some good ole Steen's and you've got my favorite dessert.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chicken & cornbread are hard to beat. You mentioned roasted garlic. Here's how I do that.

6 heads of garlic with just the tippy-tops sliced off. Place them on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle (artfully, mind you - don't bruise the garlic with hastily splashed oil, now) about 1/8 tsp of olive oil on each head. Loosely wrap the foil up around the heads. Set them into a crock pot for 8 hours on LOW.

If you want a bigger batch, put in two or three squares of foil with 6 heads each; do 12-18 heads roasting at the same time.

I wish I could make it more difficult for you so you would appreciate the stuff more, but it's that simple.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
The best part of roasted garlic (besides the sweet sweet taste) is the simplicity of preparation. Crock-pot, oven, or on the grill (my favorite method), a bit of EVOO, and you've got a delicious treat to be spread on french bread, added to a little pasta, the list goes on and on.