Gritts | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Gritts

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

I just re -read this thread.

My ever lovin, and oh so smart wife, has come home with a bag of polenta and has told me she will do something with it for me. :D

Jack's package still has not arrived. I am guessing our bloody customs officers are eating it at the moment.

Cant, wait to try some of the recipes mentioned here. :D :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, pollenta is what the Eye-tal-yuns call cornmeal. (Ferriners have trouble pronouncing words, sometimes, I notice. Can't seem to say the words "cornmeal mush".)

A favorite way I like it is to use beef broth and left over roast beef, torn into strings etc. to cook the corn meal. This concoction is called scrapple amongst German folk. It's good fresh made, and even better poured into a bread tin & refrigerated. Next morning, slice it up, fry the slices, and pour on real maple syrup. JARVIS good eatin'!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
That was a favorite winter dish at Granny's.

She would cook the cornmeal and pour it into a platter smoothing it over.(It's also very good if you use some chicken broth with the water to cook it in...)

Than she had had saute'd in EVO, onions, garlic, chopped pepper, sausage, black olives. Pour Eye-Tal-Yun sauce in the mix to warm it up. Pour this over the cooked corn meal. Now you shake Parmesan cheese over the top. Get a glass of Dago Red and enjoy! :wink:

Polenta a very long time ago was considered a peasant food. Of course it would not have had meat on it in those days. About 7-8 years ago when traveling in Florida, I was shocked to find it served as an appetizer in a high end Eye-Tal-Yun Resturante'.... And for almost 8 bucks! :shock:

http://www.grits.com

http://italianfoodforever.com/ Click on recipes....click on polenta

Shrimp N' Grits is my favorite way to have grits...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27335,00.html?rsrc=search

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I guess I have eaten Polenta and did not know it , we called it Cornmeal and when it was fried up we called that Mush , with some syrup or molasses over it , some good chewing.

It sure was not grits , but close and you can even make the fried Mush with them and they are just as good.

FRIED CORN MEAL MUSH

1 c. cold water
1 c. corn meal
3 c. boiling water
1 tsp. salt

Mix cold water and corn meal. Stir into boiling water and salt. Cook, stirring, until it boils; cover and cook over boiling water in double boiler 30 minutes or cook on slow fire, uncovered. Pack into greased metal can or mold. Cover with plastic and chill overnight or until firm. Slice 1/2 inch thick and brown in skillet. Serve with syrup.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
... Pack into greased metal can or mold. Cover with plastic and chill overnight or until firm. Slice 1/2 inch thick and brown in skillet. Serve with syrup....
Can also line that pan with either aluminum foil or parchment (my favorite). Then, it is easy to plop or lift the loaf out of cornmeal mush/polenta out and put it onto a cutting board.

This is what I call a wood chopper's breakfast. You can eat this stuff and chop wood all day long (or any heavy labor) and not get hungry. JARVIS good eatin'!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

It sounds like my kind of tucker (food) Thank you all very much for the tips, links and how to's. I can't wait to try it. :D

First day back to work today after nearly 5 weeks off. It is getting harder and harder to maintain my enthusiasm for this caper.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

When ya'll made it back frum yer 4th (5th?) vacation this month, here iz how I cook my grits.

One pound of bacon (Wrights 'er better)
One pound Rold Gold stick pretzels
one egg
1 cup grits [yellow if ya kin find 'em]
3 cups tap water
1 cup evaporated milk
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Zatarains [more if there are no hongry little pardners]
1 tsp garlic powder
8 oz. Extra sharp cheddar cheese [cut inta small chunks]

A few days before yer ready fer grits, tell yer wife ta git in the kitchen 'n cook up that bacon. Tell her ta pat it good so it aint greazy, then put it in the icebox. [It iz okay if she eats a few strips, long az she cleans up good.]

When ya git a cravin' fer grits:

git a strip of bacon outta the icebox (no need ta heat it)
git the pretzels 'n set the bag on the table
put the water in a pan
add the salt, pepper, Zatarains 'n garlic powder
bring it ta a boil
add the milk 'n turn it down a bit
keep an eye on it [stir it ever now 'n then]
when it bubbles agin add the grits [stir some more]
after 3 minutes, add the cheese [stir some more]
after 6 minutes, turn the heat off while ya finish fryin' yer egg in olive oil

This makes enuff grits ta last a few days. Next mornin' ya jest fry yer egg 'n nuke yer grits (add some milk 'er water if they dry out too much).

On Christmas mornin', make 4 times az much.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I don't read the chit chat on here for a number of reasons, but he kept asking me questions like "what kind of bacon do you buy" and "how many ounces is a block of cheese" that I knew he was sharing a recipe. While he was out fixing his second cup of coffee, I read it.

There are two things he won't have for a while.

One of them is bacon.

Miz Bear

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
There are two things he won't have for a while.

One of them is bacon.

Miz Bear

That is cruel and unusual punishment ......Ole Bear can't live if he doesn't has his bacon/grits an white water , the rest of the stuff isn't a big deal , just incidentals.:roll:
I really don't blame you for cutting out his cheese , that stuff has a lot of fat in it. Besides Bear is not that good at cutting the cheese , he sort of breaks it in large amounts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuckles...........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
What Br'r bear didn't say, in fact tried to slide it right on past the unsuspecting, is that he didn't talk about gree-itz. He's talking about real, yellow corn meal.

FAR DIFFERENT stuff. Gritz are white - BLEACHED with lye water. Corn meal is yellow, natural color.

'Tain't the same stuff. Yes, both start out from corn; and both end up as different materials.

Br'r Bear, go straight to JAIL, do not collect $200.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
What Br'r bear didn't say, in fact tried to slide it right on past the unsuspecting, is that he didn't talk about gree-itz. He's talking about real, yellow corn meal.

FAR DIFFERENT stuff. Gritz are white - BLEACHED with lye water. Corn meal is yellow, natural color.

PISSSSSS'T .. Jack ... Over here and feast ya eye's on this...... I will be darned it is ear of corn that is all ..... WHITE.
YEP , We call it White Corn and it does turn a nice shade of yeller when it is dipped in a bucker of melter butter at a cookout.
Yeller grits is like yeller snow , something to leave be and walk around unless ya are into stuff like that :p

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck Bears been telling us he,s been doing the cooking , yea right . Now we know the real story now. :) :lol: :lol: Bear when I seen your recipe I was wondering if you was feeding an army.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

I cook my own breakfast 'n I stir fry ever now 'n then. I keep meanin' ta cook more, but stuff gits in my way.

regards
bearridge

ps No point in fixin' one servin' of grits, plus I caint dose out the Zatarains on 4 tblsp. of grits. I make a pot full 'n eat it all week. :wink:

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me. Unknown

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Friend Bear,

Mate, thank you very much. :D I have just read Miz Bears reply so I have a fair idea of the price you will have to pay for sharing the recipe. :shock: :D

Miz bear, Please don't bee to hard on my good friend Bear. He had only my best interests heart and I promins not the share your recipe with anybody. A little bacon won't hurt. :p

Can somebody tell me what Zatarains are please? :oops:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Can somebody tell me what Zatarains are please? :oops:

Mick .. I want to say it is a bunch of small , hot ants running around on your food but I can't bring myself to do that. :roll:

Actually it is a combination of some good Cajun spices that can be used for/on just about anything, soup , stews , sandwiches , eggs , anything you are going to eat and want to Jazz it up.

http://www.zatarains.com/

They also have some pre packaged Red Beans an Rice mixes.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

That aint her recipe. She didnt like the instructions. :roll: I reckon I gotta tie her out in the backyard now fer a few days. :mrgreen:

I buy Zatarains in the quart jar....powder, not the liquid. It aint az hot az pure cayene pepper. I used ta mix cayene with some other seasonings fer a table shaker, but Zatarains jest makes it simple. I keep a shaker of it by the stove 'n one in my pickup.

That recipe iz fer David 'n hiz wife. :wink: When I fix a huge pot fer Christmas breakfast there are a heap a little pardners who dont like HOT food. Try it once, then add more Zatarains or some cayene pepper if ya wanna kick it up a notch.

Ya dont have ta use Wrights bacon, jest dont use the thin stuff. Ya dont have ta use Rold Gold pretzels, but they are the best I've found. Ya kin substitute toast, but since I switched ta pretzels, I only eat toast in a cafe where they look at ya funny if ya order the "sunrize special, over medium, grits, hold the toast 'n gimmie a side of pretzels". 8)

bam
bearridge

I knew I'd been living in Berkeley too long when I saw a sign that said “Free Firewoodâ€Â

dawallace45

Bear
I showed your recipe to my wife but she reckons I'm banned from trying any more recipes I get from the forum , I'm also banned from cooking any more chilli or any thing spicy at all and definitely nothing with beans , at least until my IRB is under control , I tend to have a flatulence problem at the best of times but with spicy food I'm jet propelled , besides the fact she reckons my farts smell like burning tyres and tend to make the eyes water and the nose sting she reckons they could also cause brain damage and it's only a matter of time before the EPA sews my ring gear shut , she also reckons there is the danger of explosion , she says it would only take one small electrical fault and the whole place would go up like a bomb , and since the doctor reckoned that I needed more fibre in my diet about 6 weeks ago and told me to eat muesli for breakfast and I put on 6 kg in a month I'm now banned from any thing with too many carbs , so back to bacon and eggs for breakfast and steak and salad for every other meal , actually the only thing moderately spicy I'm allowed to make is Mex -cornbread and I can only have that once a fortnight , Actually I made some the other day while my niece was here , she tried a small piece , she reckoned it was very nice but a bit spicy [ cough , choke ] , then she reckoned that her lips were burning and her eyes were watering [ no , I hadn't farted again ] , then she reckoned that the healed up hole from her tongue stud had burned through and her tongue was on fire , but a minute or so later she reckoned that her tongue had gone numb and she couldn't feel her lips and she had lost her sense of smell but not feeling her lips and tongue was a good thing , at least that is what I think she said , she was mumbling a bit at that stage , I asked her if she wasn't used to spicy food , she reckoned that up till now she had though she was , it can't have been that bad as my wife still eats it [ under protest ] but she will eat pretty much any thing as long as she doesn't have to cook it

David