Gritts | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Gritts

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

When my Dad wuz livin', he fixed the grits....no spices, jest cheese, salt 'n pepper. First Christmas after he died, I tole everbody I would fix 'em, I knew half the folks eatin' would be little pardners, so I held back on the Zatarains.....but not too much. They all bragged on the grits. [I wuz tired of totin' my shaker of Zatarains round in my pocket on Christmas Day jest ta knock my grits up a notch.] I wuz lucky....we wuz all lucky cuz I never figgered out how ta dose the spices in such a big pot....ta feed so many folks.

Bout a month back, I set out ta come up with something I kin measure next Christmas....no more guessin'. My recipe iz fer the little pardners 'n women folk....not hard on the gut....no sweat breakin' out above the eyebrow.....sissy stuff. :mrgreen:

IBS aint no jokin' matter. Miz Bear sez I had it bout 6 months ago, but I ate bland fer a while, found the Folgers Simply Smooth java 'n am okay now.....but I aint hit the kitchen late in the evenin', pulled out some pickled jalapenos slices, set 'em on top of a plate fulla soda crackers, set a slice of cheese on each jalapeno 'n nuked 'em. My pickled jalapenos come frum some homegrown peppers I raised 8-9 years ago. I threw 'em out bout 6 months ago....bout the time my gut settled down. :wink:

Zatarains is a Louisana shrimp, crawfish and crab boil. The main ingredient iz salt. There iz cayene in it, but not that much. If yer boss will allow, follow my cheese grits recipe 'n let her try 'em. Tell her I will give ya'll my money back guarantee that it wont make ya feel gut shot.

[Digression Alert]

Wonder how much it costs ta git downunder? I think the Commodore haz a big boat....mebbe we kin sail down there?

Hey Chuck......how big iz the Commodore's boat? How bout a Dream Time Expedishun? How long do ya reckon it will take ta sail that far? Are the Seychelles on the way?

Whew......got purty danged carried away there...didnt I.

Not this year....after Miz Bear, Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw, Twyla 'n me git back frum Washington.

regards
bearridge

ps Reckon Harry haz ever crossed the ocean in hiz boat? I would feel better if he had, so would Swampy. Reckon we will pass the Magellin Strait, Terra del Fuego, Cape Horn, the Pyramids, San Francisco, Atlantis, Indonesia?

You just keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at. Sundance Kid

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When ya cook up gree-itz, it's always handy to throw'em against the side of a blazing hot wood stove. Vulcanizes them, like rubber tires. Then, you can cut a large patch out of them and use it for a boot in a bad tire.

Or, let'em sizzle a few extra minutes on that hot stove, and grind'em up for aggregate or road gravel.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Yak beings you live up north learn Jack how to eat gritzz. He seems to have something wrong wit hhis taste buds. :? :lol:

dawallace45

Bear

Wife reckons there are too many carbs in cornmeal , that's why she only lets me make mex-cornbread once a fortnight , but I've saved your recipe for later after I get my weight back down , she has cut me back on beer and wine too , only one bottle of red wine a week and only a few beers a week , I only drink two coffees a day any way , I get my coffee from down near Micks place " Sexie Coffee " best coffee I ever tasted , need more exercise , building cupboards doesn't get the weight off

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

Dont worry, we'll bring some along on the downunder boat lift (200 pounds of yellow grits and 10 quarts of Zatarains) next year....'er the year after that. Then ya'll will be set fer a few months. We'd bring more, but I dont figger the Commodore's sailboat iz big enuff. We need twice that much fer rations. If it takes more'n a week ta git that far, we may have ta stop along the way 'n buy red wine 'n olive oil. :wink:

Ya'll use tide charts down there? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Sooner or later in life, we all sit down to a banquet of consequences. Robert Louis Stevenson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If memory serves me right , the Commodore's sail boat is a 25 footer. I guess that means bear would have to sleep on deck so the rest of us could breath fresh air and not some form of mass air pollution when he eats all the spicy food.
The up side is that we would have a good fog horn. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
If memory serves me right , the Commodore's sail boat is a 25 footer.
Bad News Sparkey,

After water, red wine, sippin' whiskey, grits, coffee 'n humanitarian supplies fer our Aussie pals, we will barely have enuff room fer a Zip Stove....much less a nurse (blonde, tween 19 'n 23....fer massagin' wore out geezer muscles in the evenings, whilst listenin' ta Jimmy Buffett 'n makin' excitin' underwear.....)

I wonder if Joe saved a boat 'er two when he closed down? Mac got anythin' bigger'n that boat on yer One Island Trip? How bout a "rent all" place? Wait.....why not build an ark......a smaller one.......pros built that Titanic? I know a place where ya kin find some plans. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Thor Hykendayll 'n Truthful Jack made it frum Cairo ta Venezula in a boat made outta weeds. How much farther iz it ta Brisbane?

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear. It was Thor Heyerdahl, we left from Argentina, and sailed Kon Tiki to the Marquesas. GAWD that was a good weekend!

Later, we discovered papyrus reeds growing in Lake Titicaca, but only down to a depth of a certain time zone. That, skull trepanning, and 32 other cultural indicators, is how we knew the Egyptians founded the Mayan Empire. Or, was it the Incan?

Later, I helped Pecos Pete and Davy Crockett invent the flat boat and broad axe. This was a special axe for women to use, hence the name.