hairies Okwata. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

hairies Okwata.

dawallace45

Mick

I beg to differ , I really don't think the dislike of mullet comes from snobbery but rather from the treatment of the fish at every stage of it's journey from the ocean to the table , about 30 years ago when you went into a fish and chip shop and ordered fish you got mullet , even if you didn't order mullet you may as well have because most of these shops used to change their cooking oil twice a year [ wether it needed it or not , LOL ] and what ever went into the oil ended up tasting like mullet , but the trouble really started at the catching , I grew up at the beach and we had several Pro fishermen working the area , they would run their nets around a big school and then drag it up on the beach and unmesh , they would throw the fish into open tubs and leave them sitting on the beach as they kept running their nets all day or until the schools departed for a different area , the fish would be left sitting in the sun all day , no ice , this sort of thing was relatively common 30 years back , when you bought your mullet from the fish market it was already half off , don't get me wrong , the majority of pro's did the right thing and took care of their catch but many didn't and a few off fish didn't do the rest of the mix much good once it got onto the trays at the market , and as you know the taste and smell of mullet gets stronger as it goes off , these days they wouldn't be allowed to sell the stuff they got away with years ago , the lack of quality years ago led a mate of mine to comment they he had come up with a synthetic mullet , he reckoned you take a turd , marinate it in kerosene and deep fry it in sump oil and it tastes just like Mullet , there was also the fact that one of the main places for catching mullet back they was right there at Luggage Point at the sewerage outlet ,

But fresh mullet is edible and if done right even qualify as extremely nice [ but if this is repeated I'll deny I ever said it ] ,

Mick is right , mullet is very good if smoked , also as I really don't tend to like any overly oily fish my main method for cooking them is to fillet and skin them , bone them and cut into chunks and then marinate them in Lemon juice and grated fresh ginger for a few hours then roll in seasoned flour and deep fry , then serve with a lemon and ginger sauce , another good method is the old bushie way of just cutting their head off , don't scale , just gut and cut in half length ways and slow cook over the coals , lay scale side down and when almost done throw some Sheoak leaves on the coals to give a slight Smokey flavour , these are the two best methods I've come across and even work well for fresh freshwater mullet

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dave,

My emphasis was on the "fresh" side of things mate. We all have horror stories of the old fish and chip shop days. LOL

I won't buy sea food from anybody other than the bloke who catches them, and this is illegal here so opportunities are rare. I certainly will not buy any fish that has been cooked by somebody else, let alone from some greasy chew and spew joint. Lessons hard learnt mate.

Have a look at the clear, shiny black eyes of my mullet. they are in their prime and totally fresh. When the fish is starting to turn, the eyes go milky and opaque. These fish were so fresh that when I filleted them, the flesh was still quivvering LOL

Had some for tea last night and looking forward to the rest tonight. Drooling right now.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sorry about Hijacking your boat thread but those Mullet and there shinny eyes looking at me had me wanting some in the worse way. Fresh out of the water and some good chewing.

Better yet if I was on a beach someplace with a little grill over some drift wood with that salty smoke going up and them taking a smoke bath in it while cooking. :D Heck it would not hurt if an oyster or two was sitting on the grill getting steamed but I never said that since I told Oldyaker I did not like oysters. They do make good bait when steamed over a drift wood fire. :lol:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
No experience with the saltwater version, but I agree with Chuck, the fresh water variety is gross. I used to bowfish for them when I was young and they are a vile smelling creature. Even the poorest of the poor in these parts never ate them.

I caught one on light tackle once and it was a dynomite fighter.

Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chucky,

I EXPECT my threads to be hijacked mate LOL its all good fun and I've been known to hijack the odd one here and there myself.

Some one once said, we're geezers amd we wander. This is half the fun of this place. One never knows where a thread will end up!

I tried to get some landscape piccies of a couple of very pretty Kanaka or islander girls for Bear, messing round in a wooden boat. (looked suspiciously like a Michelak design) that their dad had built and left to them when he passed. As I was talking to them and they were telling me their story, their boyfriends came down and got all jealous. The girls got all shy and didn't want me to take their piccie so I left them to play in their lovely boat.

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
Mick,

Which is faster, the laker or the Okwata? I must admit, the Okwata jumped out at me when I saw it for the first time on Jemwatercraft.com. I really liked the looks of it. I wonder if it could be built more open, like say a decked pirogue? My wife wants a boat with a pirogue like seating area, but I want her to have the dry storage and extra flotation at each end.

Great looking boat, Mick.....AGAIN!!! You simply have too many boats. It isn't fair. I don't know how you even sleep at night, knowing there are those of us out here still paddling plastic! :( I could help you with your guilt, though. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Send me the Okwata or the Laker, and you'll be guaranteed to sleep like a baby! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Paddletrucker,

Thanks mate.

I think Okwata is a superior boat to laker in every way. I am not sure by how much. Both are superb boats in their own right. laker is an easier build but Okwater is better to paddle, a bit faster, I think (its hard to tell) and certainly glides better. this boat parts the water like a spear and leaves practically no wake, a sure sign of efficient running through the water. This is what makes it so hard to tell just how fast she really is. the extra panel from the deck to side panel transition, makes this boat prettier (to me) and a LOT more paddle friendly. it is significantly more work, but well worth it, in my opinion.

re an Open Okwata. Youah, i think it could be done. Matt would be the one to ask. if I were to do one, I would look at moving the front and rear bulkheads back towards the ends of the boat a foot or so and shortening the decks. i think it should work, especially if you wife is only planning on paddling skinny water.

If your wife is looking for a pirogue like boat with true kayak paddleability, shoot Matt an email and ask him about his P5 8) i built one for Robin but matt hasn't listed the original design yet. It is symetrical with a v bottom and a tumblehome panel

IMG_1711Small.jpg

IMG_1701Small.jpg

While not as fast as Okwata or Laker, is a great boat, easy build and will still leave the mid to top range plastic SOTS in her wake.

I think the laker 15 would probably be as fast as this boat but Matt would be able to tell you for sure.

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
If I built her an Okwata, or any boat for that matter, it would only be used in very light Class 1 easy rapids and flat lakes and rivers. The biggest thing we contend with is wakes from powerboats. She wants a super fast speed demon, but it need to be open so she can haul the dog comfortably. I imagine a much longer cockpit to give him a spot to sit, stand and bark at the fish I catch, and generally be a dog in front of my wife's feet. Right now she is paddling my 28 inch wide Prowler 13, but it is just too wide and slow for her. She just want something very fast, but light enough to handle by herself. It only needs to handle probably 150 to 200 pounds. She is light (I think less than 130), the dog is 25 pounds, and whatever lunch and goodies she wants to carry for the day. One reason we like fast boats is paddling against river currents, and faster means easier for her to paddle. She is not as strong as i am and she likes to be able to out run me or catch up if I get ahead while fishing.

I'd like to have the room, myself, for fishing equipment on a more open Okwata, or similar boat. I need more capacity at 275 :oops: and still have allowance for gear and stuff enough for maybe an overnighter. Maybe a Freedom 18 or something similar. I need to be able to sit side saddle, though. I get stiff if I don't move around a lot and I like to be able to get to gear behind me. I am not flexible enough to easily turn around and grab it. Also, I like to just sit side saddle and fish lots of times. I think I could easily do that in any boat that has a tumblehome.

I have lots of time to decide, though, as I don't really even have a place to begin a build....yet!! :wink: :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Okwata MIGHT be a little cramped for paddler AND dog though they are both only small so it might be OK. Not sure. Be sure it will run the legs off a prowler 13 - easily- Fine boats but heavy and slow.

Just thinking out loud here mate.

Perhaps a Laker 15? An open Laker will be very light but it might be a little bulk for your wife on her own - on and off the car.

The Touring Pirogue-TV is also a quick boat for what it is. Very stable also. Again, it might be a little bulky.

What about a laker 13 only open like a pirogue with a sealed compartment with a screw in hatch each end? Light gunwhales and one thwarte. Would paddle the same as a laker kayak which is very well, have the room she needs and be small and light enough for the days she wants to go on her own.

Ya there Matt. What do you think? :p

wink, wink, been talking to Matt, back channel about just such a boat. - only I want it for my grand kids. :p

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
Thanks again, MIck

Unfortunately, my wife has paddled a friend's 15 foot boat (in plastic) and I can't seem to talk her into anything shorter. :roll: Oh, well. I am lucky that she likes to paddle with me, so I will get for her, or build for her, what she wants (very well trained husband....Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!).

Giving that she is using my 54 pound Prowler, I think anything lighter would suit her. Haven't asked her, but I am sure if I asked her if she'd want speed or lightness, she'd say speed. The dog is a Jack russell terrier and they have been geting along on the Prowler together, but she wants a "designated dog area" for him.

I was thinking laker 15, until I saw the nice looking Okwata. I would like to build one for myself, too, but like I said earlier, at 275 it may not have the capacity for me.

Here is the wife with said annoying canine.
6-28-2008-19.jpg

6-28-2008-09.jpg

JEM

For speed on flat water, it'll be tough to beat a Laker. But I don't know if I'd recommend a Laker with a dog. But if a 28" wide SOT is too wide, that could present a challenge.

I have a kids kayak I'm tinkering with that could be stretched a bit. It's meant to be narrow but stable for smaller paddlers. Not the best looking boat but it's function should be pretty nice.

When you say the Prowler is too wide, is she banging her knuckles or can she just not get her arms out enough?

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
Wife just walked through the house and saw me looking at boats on her way out the door to go to work. She says she likes the Okwata dimensions, but wants it to look like "Jodie's T-V" that you built, Mick, but with the seat that tx river rat uses and good adjustable foot pegs.

Geez :roll: , is there anything simple with a woman. Let me aswer that...not with THIS one!!! :lol: :lol:

I actually like it that she is taking an interest in what she wants. She also says if I build her a boat, any boat, that she has some "modifactions" that she is already thinking about. I may have to teach her how to use powertools and let her give it a whirl. :D

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
JEM said:
For speed on flat water, it'll be tough to beat a Laker. But I don't know if I'd recommend a Laker with a dog. But if a 28" wide SOT is too wide, that could present a challenge.

I have a kids kayak I'm tinkering with that could be stretched a bit. It's meant to be narrow but stable for smaller paddlers. Not the best looking boat but it's function should be pretty nice.

When you say the Prowler is too wide, is she banging her knuckles or can she just not get her arms out enough?

A little of both, I think. IN the Prowler, she has to use a longer and heavier paddle that she doesn't like. Otherwise, she bangs her knuckles. Like I said, she paddled a friends boat, that was a lot narrower, and now she wants a narrower boat. I was worried about the stability and the dog, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

She got along fine with the dog on the narrower boat. I think it was 26" wide, but you sat on the floor, rather than being raised like on a SOT. I think that the lower seating position may have made it as stable, even though it was not as wide. She did lean right over and pull the dog aboard out of the water after he jumped in giving chase to a bird. We ride horses a whole lot (lots of times at full speed), so even when things change rather unexpectedly she has pretty good balance.

The other thing, too, is that we've only paddled plastic. A wider home made wood boat with no flex in the hull may be adequately fast enough to suit her. With a good tumblehome, it could be the way to go.

Then there is always this piece of boat science......If I build a boat that is not quite "the one", I get to build and have more boats. Good Lord, help me now. Is there a re-hab center for paddling addictions.

"Hello, my name is Nate and I'm a paddle-haulic" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JEM

I did a quick look and a Touring Pirogue TV at 12' x 27" would draft 160" at a 3" waterline. Subtract boat weight of about 35-40 pounds, and I think it would be just right.

At a 4" draft it jumps to 240 which tells me it'll be pretty stable for a boat of that size and shape.

Mick - there's your "sneaky Laker". :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Nate
The T-V is a fantastic boat fast, easy handling, stable.I run a 4 ft opening between bulkheads,it would be no problem to open that up to a 6 ft opening for the dog.Also the seat I use is elevated about 3 1/2 inches and sur makes staying in boat for long lengths of time pleasant. and helps the knuckle banging.
The 13 ft Laker is a sweet little boat ,but I have to sit on the floor and I wouldn't recommend a dog in her.
The 15 5 A (cuda) I built is the fastest boat I own ,and by a pretty good margin, the length and being asymmetrical makes the stability close to the T-V, but the ease of paddling is great, I can use my elevated seat in the cuda with no problem.
I have to say if I am not going to do a multi day trip the cuda is the boat I grab.
Ron
PS I wish you were a little closer you could come paddle all three.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G,day Nate,

Mate have you built a S&G boat before? If not, a good plan would be to build the Laker, I would recommend the 14' version just for its versatility ie not to big or small.

There are a couple of resons for my choice,

1. it is a relatively quick and easy build and you can modify deck etc to suit your needs easily. i would be inclined to keep the first one pretty standard though.

2. Your wife WILL want to paddle this boat and when she does, she will love it but will also have very definate ideas on what she wants to change.

3. Here is the best part. You get to start on a boat specifically to suit what your wife wants and when done, you get to keep the first one or to use it as a "loaner boat"

4. You will gain valuable experience during the first build that will make your second one so much better.

From what you are telling us, I don't think your wife will have any issues with stability in a Laker

Thanks Matt,

I like the way you are thinking with this one mate. I think there is a real need for a Sneaky Laker type boat, one with very good performance but also targeted at the smaller paddlers. Laker 13 fits the bill beautifullt in Kayak format and I think this is why there are so many of them being built. An open boat based on a Laker like hull would prove equally popular.

Just going by what I read in other boat building and paddling forums, there are more Lakers being built at this time in Australia than all other S&G kayaks combined.

As I said earlier, I think Okwata is a superior boat, in every way, but it is a more complex build. Not much more difficult, just a bigger job, requiring more time and patience to do well.

JEM

hairymick said:
Just going by what I read in other boat building and paddling forums, there are more Lakers being built at this time in Australia than all other S&G kayaks combined.

Maybe because there's a free version of it! :lol:

But I must say, Aussies comprise a good chunk of business for me and I'm grateful for that! :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
LOL

Maybe because there's a free version of it!

Could be true mate. Aussies just love a bargain. 8)

I don't think there are that many freebies being built though. From what I read, the 14 footer seems very popular.

I allways told you that the free version was way to be good to be free. :D

I can just imagine the other big name boat designers offering such a fine boat for nothing - yerr right. Not gonna happen in my lifetime.

Look around mate. You know where I mean. Most of the mobs only offer the best of their boats in kit form only, with their less attractive or less desireable ones in plans. Others charge absurd prices for what are at best, in my opinion very basic designs with allmost pre-historic build methodoligy and little if any builder support.

others seem to me to have the attitude of "These are my boats. build them or piss off"

This makes me see about as red as the font above.

Name one other designer,if you can, who readily listens to his builders and potential builders alike, about our particular wants and whims and then does his level best to accommodate them. let alone offers constructive advice where he can, re what might suit and what might not.

had this rant before and probably will again. There are other fine boat designs out there but will i build them? Not in this lifetime.