Hairy Pirogue allmost done | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairy Pirogue allmost done

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Mick, she's awesome. .....oh, and thanks for the Riggin' Idea (real nice "CrossBar Rod Support". :wink: ...I didn't mean to notice....) I was wondering how to resolve a similar situation problem :lol: . Thanks "...my Brother..." Keep up the good work with the Cigs. I quit "Smokin',Dippin' & Chewin' ...7 yrs. 8 mo. 23 days ago". Wish I could say it gets easier down the road (not a day goes by I don't want one, however it is 'lil easier).....but it is a long haul.....hang in there guy ....one day at a time. But, it's worth it :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

My brother from another mother, you seriously need to build one of these little beauties mate.

I blooded her today :D what a bloody great fishin boat. Quicker than a lot of plastic SOTs, paddles much like a kayak & with all the carrying capacity of a canoe. a fabulous rig. Oh, she is also a terriffic fish fighting platform too. i fish ultra - light - 1 to 2 kg gear and she is ideal for this.

Matt, mate, I reckon you need to add this one to your site. :D All the fishermen at the launch site and in the creek wanted to know all about it - whos plans they were etc. etc.

A mate & I put in at a little fishing ville called Poona today. Launched in semi-open water - paddled up a nearby creek and came back over the flats at high tide into 15 knots of breeze. The only water i took onboard was what dripped off the paddle and she handled the chop like a dream. bloody great boat. :D :D

Poona in background
[/img] http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/ ... 1-0632.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/ ... 3Small.jpg

On! :D
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/pukudog/Ratty%201/Poona11-11-0634Medium.jpg

Mine! :D :D :D
Poona11-11-0635Medium.jpg

Coming back. I love this shot :D :D
Poona11-11-0636Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

I been studyin' that seat. It looks like it come off a situpon. I been kinda down in the back 'n wuz wonderin' what setup iz best fer a geezer. I'm watchin' that one the Sparkanator iz gwine ta use on hiz newer boat.

respectfully
bearridge
bodine nautikle college

Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. Jed Babbin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Matt, :D
[/quote]I can't believe your sense of balance and how high you sit in that!
A life time of paddling surf skis may have helped but she seems pretty stable to me. Maybe just a little 'spirited' i like that in a boat. :D
Put the wife or daughter in there.

[/quote]

Will do :D

G'day Bear, :D
I been studyin' that seat. It looks like it come off a situpon. I been kinda down in the back 'n wuz wonderin' what setup iz best fer a geezer. I'm watchin' that one the Sparkanator iz gwine ta use on hiz newer boat.

Mate, tis the seat from my wadefish. A bit to high & wide for my liking. Have emailed Campmore to see if they will ship one or two or ten of those sparky seats out here.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
Mate, tis the seat from my wadefish. A bit to high & wide for my liking. Have emailed Campmore to see if they will ship one or two or ten of those sparky seats out here.
Friend Mick,

A seat dont seem like one of them "ta each hiz own" deals. Even if ya aint a geezer yet, ya need a comfortable seat....jest like them racin' bicycles. There are a heap a things ya kin change on a canoe 'er pirogue, but a seat that feels good 'n dont git in yer way ('er make it too eazy ta turn bottom upwards), oughta be purty much the same fer all flatwater boats.

Kayaks 'n whitewater boats aint the same. Once upon a time I had Campmor send me a plastic, Coleman seat that jest hooked itself onta the reglar seat. I used it fer bout 10 minutes. Coleman oughta be ashamed. I am.

Once upon a time I set on Chuck's homemade seat. It aint bad, but it looks like he iz brainstormin' agin. Last time he did that he come up with geezer thongs. I figger he wuz off hiz medication when he done that. He also tried ta bet a nickle by breakin' the cigarette in half. 8)

Wonder what seat iz the best fer canoe 'er pirogue on flatwater? Too bad that ole woman at Delphi give up. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I knew I'd been living in Berkeley too long when I saw a sign that said “Free Firewoodâ€Â

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Here's one I like. I may have posted it here before. You sit on it like a saddle, it let's you keep your legs straight out, pull them alongside, or raise up into a kneeling position. Good for old folks that need to move their legs around during a long trip. Also lets you move it around in the boat to allow for different loads.

ef0f0a4c.jpg

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Seedtick,

Are you building genuine four-plank boats in the background there (doesn't look like ply in the picture)?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Stevesteve

Yep, we build four (or three) plank boats out of sinker (first growth) cypress. Plywood is OK but doesn't compare to the cypress for looks.

It takes a tree about 850 years to grow to a 30" diameter. Most of these were cut down a hundred years ago. We're picking up those that didn't float out to the mill - hence the name sinker.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Here's an end shot of a ~3" pieces of sinker cypress.

ec105d83.jpg

You can't see all the rings but I counted (with magnifying glass) 142 from corner to corner. Some year's growth were significantly different than others, but you see that on most trees.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The rate of growth depends on where the tree is located, in deeper water then the growth is normally faster then the ones near the shore. Figure this one out ...... They say that for the cypress to germinate it (The seed) has to be on dry ground.

I guess when you are talking years upon years, centuries upon centuries it is something we mere mortals have trouble understanding........ Taking our dailey minute to minute life into consideration. We are only vistors (new comers) on this planet.

Chuck.

ronniebms

Sep 5, 2006
Patterson, Ca
First of all great job hairy,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to create an assymetrical profile from an Uncle John's kit. I was thinking moving the ribs back several inches might work. Any pro's con's...

Thanks,

Ron Smith

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Ron, Thanks mate.

I can't make any comparison between the performance of my assymetrical job and a UJ. I have never paddled a symmetrical pirogue.

The UJ one is a beautiful boat in its own right. I would leave it as described in the plans for a first build.