Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
too tired to do full post now, but chek it out - I love it. :D

BunyipBuild129Small.jpg

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Nice one Mick,

I like the look of the green paint. Is that graphite on the bottom?
Also is that ribless, with braces between the gunwales at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the length?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thank guys, this one is a prototype assymetrial hull and I took her for a walk yesterday to work out seating & thwarte placement etc.

Nice one Mick,

I like the look of the green paint. Is that graphite on the bottom?
Also is that ribless, with braces between the gunwales at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the length?

Steve,

The build of this one is a little different to a U.J. job. (no centre ribs or stem pieces) This thread is a little arse backwards so I will continue in the same vein. :lol: Will post my review of her and then walk you through the build sequence and methodology. Both methods work very well.

OK, here are my humble opinions of this loverly boat.

Stability adequate to good, though some may find her a little tippy till they get used to it.

Speed Bloody good for a canoe. I can only compare her to my Swampgirl because that is the only other flat bottom boat I have paddled. She is considerably faster than the 'girl. and as fast as some of the rec kayaks I have paddled.

Tracking superb.

Manouverability adequate to good.

Weathercocking minimal to non-existent. I would call it as being superb.

Wind signature punching into 15 knots, significant but manageable and much less than either the Swampgirl or my Canadian

Weight I would guesstimate this boats weight at around 43 to 45 pounds. I used hardwood exterior bracing ply. I believe 32 to 35 pounds or less is achieveable using quality Gaboon or other lightweight marine ply.

In short, this boat is a hoot to paddle. If I could only build one paddle-craft and had to choose, This one would be it .

I can't compare it to a symetrical pirogue because I haven't paddled one yet, but I will tell you this, It would have to be a bloody good boat to be any nicer to paddle than this one. I enjoyed paddling her today so much that I don't want to finish her off tomorrow, and then make & fit the seats. I just want to take her out again, as she is.

Thank you Matt, for the opportunity to build this fine boat. I believe it will be a winner and should appeal to those who can apprecieate the grace and beauty and simple elegance of a pirogue with the added carrying capacity and versatility of your lovely assymetrical hull.

a couple more piccies :D

BunyipBuild132Small.jpg

BunyipBuild131Small.jpg

BunyipBuild125Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
OK, Steve,

here is a quick summary of the build.

Botom cut & fibreglass spliced. (I call it a butt joint)
BunyipBuild001Small.jpg

Sides cut & butted
BunyipBuild006Small.jpg

Hull stitched together with temporary hull shape sections in place
BunyipBuild014Medium.jpg

BunyipBuild012Medium.jpg

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Mick,

She's a beaut mate!

I see the build technique is typical of a JEM craft. It's a bit fiddly but the boats always look great and this is no exception.

Nice slotted gunwales. If you build them up with epoxy then presumably you have to get a varnish layer down the slot once complete. How did you do that?

Classically good looking little wooden boat. I love it. How much freeboard does she have when you are on the water?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Steve, thanks mate.

The bow is 11&1/2 inches, middle about 10 and stern is 11 inches.

She draws about 2 inches with me in her (200 pounds) so at a guess, about 8 inches freeboard in the middle.

Varnish is not on yet. When I get to do that, I will use a polyurethane 2 pak stuff that flows on really well and I just varnish where I can. The varnish is really only to protect the epoxy from UV rays and the fact that it brings up the finish like a mirror is just a bonus.

Matts stitch & glue method works well for me and I am getting more confident with the process.

islandpiper

Damn, Mick, I'm proud of you lad. Great job. Good thing to rescue a couple of sheeps of wood now and then to keep it from spending eternity as a door skin or a book shelf.

My biggest question related to the first picture ot two....how do you get mud to stand up in those big formations and get hard? Here in Louisiana we only have mud. No rocks or hard stuff.....Louisiana is built from the fine much that rode the river down from Iowa, Ohio, wisconsin, etc.......no rocks......

Many of us envy you for the beautiful places you paddle.

Pardon my worse than uysual typing.....can't see a stroke....got the puter reading the posts to me.

Piper

keith

green pirogue

Ha mate nice boat for sure, but what is the story on the graphite i here you and Sparky are talking about, That is something new to me, we can still live and learn. Thanks for sharing your boatbuilding knowledge us (me). keith

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: green pirogue

keith said:
Ha mate nice boat for sure, but what is the story on the graphite i here you and SPANKY are talking about, That is something new to me, we can still live and learn. Thanks for sharing your boat building knowledge us (me). keith
Piper-san,

Chuckie helped us learn this; it's his compensation for all the rest of the stuff he does.

Takes about three coats, waterline down. About 20% by volume of powdered graphite (same-same pencil lead) mixed into the epoxy. I back off the masking tape about 1/8" for coat# 2 then #3 to get a feathered edge instead of a stepped edge.

Will dry shiny, but sand it lightly WITH THE BOAT OUTDOORS to get a light grey finish. This is even slipperyererer. So hard that rocks etc. have a difficult time penetrating to scratch or gouge, and if they do start to penetrate, they tend to slide off. Going through moose pasture (water lilies, duck weed, etc, is faster than normal too.

It does cover the wood grain on the bottom, but it saves the boat from damage many times.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Good one Mick , I'll have to drop in and see it as soon as I get a chance , really do want to try paddling that new SOT and now the Bunyip , I think there may be room at my place for one of those SOT's

Dave, you are allways welcome here. The kettle is allways on to :D
My Sot is a lovely boat but I have had a bit of a health set back and not sure if i will be able to take her off shore much anymore. I am becoming very fond of paddling & fishing skinny water now and will focus on some real sneaky canoe type boats for a while.

There is very little rocker on this pirogue - about a inch each end. i reckon it would go really well with a leccy motor. :twisted:

Hi Piper, :D

Damn, Mick, I'm proud of you lad. Great job. Good thing to rescue a couple of sheeps of wood now and then to keep it from spending eternity as a door skin or a book shelf.

Thanks mate. I reckon any use of ply other than building boats is a waste of perfectly good ply.
My biggest question related to the first picture ot two....how do you get mud to stand up in those big formations and get hard? Here in Louisiana we only have mud. No rocks or hard stuff.....Louisiana is built from the fine much that rode the river down from Iowa, Ohio, wisconsin, etc.......no rocks

If we ever get a proper wet season here again, we will have plenty of mud too. Those granite rocks are an abberation rather than the norm around here. it is about the only place on the entire Burrum river where they are.

Everywhere else is a sort of sandy loam on top of clay & shale. Impassable in the wet and in the dry season ( we have had about 20 years of it now) a goanna would need to take a cut lunch and a water bag. The country round here is not much good for growing anything except kangaroos & lizards.

The green patches along the river banks are about the only green to be had.

ditto to what Jack said about the graphite. Really easy to put on and as hard as iron when on. i'm gonna use it on all of my boats from now on.

I started making the seats and their supports today. :D

BunyipBuild146Small.jpg

BunyipBuild148Small.jpg

BunyipBuild157Small.jpg

BunyipBuild149Small.jpg

BunyipBuild153Small.jpg

islandpiper

Mick, Kayak Jack has a recipe for Fricassee of Lizard, he'll share it if you ask. I think you dredge 'em in grits and fry 'em first.......

You are a craftsman, nice looking seet frame, etc.

Jack mentioned Anne Margaret a few days back.....nice seat on that one too.

Cheers, Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
ho Piper :D

the way my indigenous cousins cook em is the whack em on the melon with a stick and then just chuck em in the coals till the outside is black and crispy, rake em out, peel the black off and eat :D

Tastes like - nothing else. (is an aquired taste) My wife wont let me eat goanna any more. The oils seep out through my skin and I stink like a burnt dead lizard for about a week afterwards. :lol: :lol: :lol: