Hammock advice | SouthernPaddler.com

Hammock advice

dawallace45

Guys , I need advice , I recently sold my Hennessy Expedition hammock because it felt a little small for me , I'm slightly over 6'1" and weigh in at the moment at 242 lb , I need a bigger hammock , so what in the experience of the Hennessy users here should I go for next ? do I need the EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM
or the SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX ? Those of you with the Safari , what is your opinion of them ?

Thanks

David

When politicians pass laws that will be obeyed only by the law-abiding, they content themselves that
they have taken action.
As a consequence, while our leaders are absorbed with media interviews and mutual congratulations,
the original problems are left to fester.
Sanctimony never stopped a bullet, or prevented an overdose and no criminal has ever been
frightened by a photo-op...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dawallace45 said:
Guys , I need advice , I recently sold my Hennessy Expedition hammock because it felt a little small for me , I'm slightly over 6'1" and weigh in at the moment at 242 lb , I need a bigger hammock , so what in the experience of the Hennessy users here should I go for next ? do I need the EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM
or the SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX ? Those of you with the Safari , what is your opinion of them ?

Thanks

David

I have the Safari Deluxe with the Hex fly. Easy to set up and the larger rain fly will keep you dry in a storm.
When I was wondering which one to get I called Tom and talked with him. He recommended the Safari because I wanted to keep my backpack in the hammock with me and the Safari has tons of room in it. Plus it would take my weight , 212 pounds and 6-1 plus the backpack.
If memory serves me correctly the gross ( safe) weight limit on the Safari is up to 350 pounds.

Oldyaker might join in the conversation but he had the Explorer and moved up to the Safari... he compared the Explorer to a Economy Motel 6 and the Safari to a luxurious Holiday Inn. one bargain rate and one top notch.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

I hope I am wrong, but it mite depend on whether ya sleep on yer back all nite 'er whether ya rock 'n roll all nite. [Sounds like a blues tune, dont it.] If ya roll, a hammock mite not be a good idea. Bein' a big fella mite not be the problem.

regards
bearridge

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.  James Madison

dawallace45

Chuck

Thanks , that is what I needed to know , I suppose the main thing I was worried about with the safari is that it would be so big that you would never catch any breeze on those hot nights

Bear

Not a problem , I've been camping in hammocks of one sort or another for about 30 years , I have a hammock set up on the veranda and use it every day , as I've gotten older and fatter little things like bad backs and arthritis make it hard for me to sleep on the ground on any sort of mattress or swag , back before I had arthritis and when I only weighed in at 92 kg [ 202 lb ] I could sleep any where on any thing , now I have trouble sleeping any where even on my very expensive mattress at home , but I sleep like a baby in a hammock ,

These days I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep because of back pain and when I do I tend to wake every 15 minutes or so and have to change position to lessen the pain , about 4.30am I get to the stage I just can't find a comfortable painless position and roll around from side to side every minute or so until I finally give up and get out of bed at 5.30 am , but when I sleep in a hammock I tend to fall asleep with in minutes and only wake at first light or if I need to take a pee , during the week in summer it's not all that unusual for me to go lay in the hammock of a evening after I've eaten , I used to take a glass of wine with me but had to stop doing that as I was falling asleep with in a minute or two of getting in the hammock and was just going through too many wine glasses when they fell out of my hand and hit the concrete ,

Last night wasn't a good night didn't get to sleep until after midnight , rolled around all night , up at 5.30 am , coupled with a mild welding flash I feel like crap , think I'll be sleeping in the hammock to night

David

When politicians pass laws that will be obeyed only by the law-abiding, they content themselves that
they have taken action.
As a consequence, while our leaders are absorbed with media interviews and mutual congratulations,
Sanctimony never stopped a bullet, or prevented an overdose and no criminal has ever been

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
David...

On nice nights I tie the rain fly out parallel to the ground and if it looks like rain then it is dropped down for additional protection.
Or if I'm not sure then one side is at a 45 and the other straight out. Did that on the Ocklawaha river and it captured any breeze coming along off the river for a well ventilated/cool nights sleep.
The dew dropping off the trees in the morning from the fog made me think it was raining but all it was , was the fog and dew on the leaves of the trees.

I have a new one , a Eagles Nest , ( Eagle Nest Outfitters) http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5820 which is a normal hammock , you enter it from the side and if you want bug protection then you have to add the bug net which covers the whole hammock including the bottom of it. Same thing with the rain fly , if you want it then you have to add it ... the set up is not like the Hennessy where everything is one package.

No idea on how it works for camping but it sure was comfortable when trying it in the back yard for a short spell.
I will find out how it is next week for a week long camping trip. :D

I flip flop when in bed but in a Hammock it is laying down on one side and waking up in the morning in the same position with a good nights sleep.

Might be a built in survival thing where the subconscious mind knows it is better to remain still then to flop around while sleeping up in the air. :lol: :lol: Or it could just be the comfort that is there so you don't want to flop and roll around. :D

Chuck.

dawallace45

Chuck

Thanks , my old Hennessy Hammock the Expedition was very comfortable but just a little short and I just wasn't sure how it was going to go with my weight creeping up , hopefully now I've again finished some of the major jobs around the house [ Just finished tiling the veranda ,180 sq metres ] I can start my exercise program again but just in case the bigger hammock is insurance against me not loosing weight

Might be a built in survival thing where the subconscious mind knows it is better to remain still then to flop around while sleeping up in the air. Or it could just be the comfort that is there so you don't want to flop and roll around.

I think I already posted once before about a mate who when he went to Cape York hunting and fishing took a hammock and because he is terrified about crocs decided to take a 8' step ladder and took to mounting his hammock up as high as he could make it , worked fine until he had a few too many beers one night and rolled out to take a leak and forgot he was about 10 ft in the air , come down and busted him self up , broken collar bone and some other injuries

Actually seen some funny things happen in hammocks , remember the first time I used a camping hammock complete with bug net , old ww2 vintage , rolled over in the middle of the night and the bloody thing flipped over so there I am suspended just off the ground in the bug net caught up in my sleeping bag and couldn't get loose , no one around so it took me more than 2 bloody hours to free my self .

First time and probably the last time my brother used a camping hammock he was using a old one of mine that I'd given him , glad I gave it to him rather than loaning it as when he woke up the first thing he did was roll to one side and throw up violently , seems drinking 10 litres of beer the night before will do that to you , but the main problem was he was still inside the bug net

David

they have taken action.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'll withhold the name of the person but on one camping trip he was sleeping in his Hennessy and somehow got turned around in it. Next thing we knew is that he was on the ground , flat on his back.

Yep , he tried to lay down on the section of the hammock that closes when you get in it.
Last word I received from him is that he is tent camping now days and gave the hammock to his son. Claims the tent is better for his back. :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yep...The Safari is very nice with the hex fly. The Explorer did the job, but when you spend an extra day in camp because of foul weather, the Safari is wonderful to lounge in and read and snooze. I found it makes it easier to get in and out of the sleeping bag as well.

dawallace45

Guy's thanks for all your help , I've just ordered a Safari Deluxe from Hennessy , they have a ripper of a Christmas special where if you order on line any hammock over $100 you get a Scout hammock free , that size is perfect for my wife , the only down size of the deal is the Aussie dollar is down compared to the US dollar and the bloody thing is going to cost me $450 AUD landed here , Oh well can't be helped

But thanks again

David

they have taken action.

dawallace45

Jack

I'm hoping that Shirley likes the Scout hammock and it fits her well , we spend too much time at home on the weekends these days and need to get out scrub more , and I'm hoping that if she has her own hammock we can do that

Oldyaker

I certainly hope I do , as I said I loved the expedition but it just felt a little small , looking forward to receiving it , was planing to do some fishing and camping around Christmas if it arrives on time

David

they have taken action.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm doing my Dec , St.Mary's River ,08 trip report in assorted bits and pieces but will interlock all of them together later.

The Eagle Nest Outfitters hammock is one comfortable S.O.B. Just set it up in a flash , then I put in the self inflating mattress from Campmor for the mummy bag ( on sale for $35.00 , closeout ) and let it inflate.

Next was my bag in there and the rain fly over me ( Not happy with it ). I got the fast fly from them and it is OK if you are not having a real storm , like the ones that tag me. :lol: All of there rain flies are 9 1/2 by 12. The 9 1/2 is from the beanier that hooks to the slap strap on each end. It does not offer the additional covering for the hammock that I am use to. :x

Back to the hammock..... It is great , easy to set up , like I said. Even easier to get in and out of during the night if the need comes up. Sleeping in it is great , you have all sorts of visibility and the sense of openness. Especially since it is wide open.

I never got cold in it ( a 0 degree bag helps ) and had all the comfort needed.

The down side is the rain fly.

1...It has to be low over the hammock and does collect moisture on the underside like the rain fly on a tent does.
2...It is not as big as I would like for some serious protection in a blowing storm.
3...It has to be set low over the hammock which means you have to duck under it to get in the hammock.
4...The dam slap straps need more loops on them for a better adjustment as to the degree of slack that is desired in the hammock for sleeping.

Solution......
1...Hang the hammock and then use a 12 x 12 tarp ( or larger ) over it at a comfortable height so there is no bending over and having a comfortable and secure area to sit in when there is a storm. Plus having a good place to sleep out of the weather. Forget there rain flys.
2... Making your own slap straps from a non stretch rope to hang the hammock from , with better adjustments in it.
3. For bugs , use the skeeter screen as advised to do. I did not use it since no self respecting skeeter was out in the weather we had. "O"oop's , I did have a few ( 3 or 4 for both nights when in the hammock) but they died when slapped.

I did wish I would of had my Hennessey with me when the nasty weather hit and would not of been in a tent. From now on I will not make that mistake. Both hammocks will be with me , one closed in and secure for really nasty weather and the other open and free. :D

Chuck.
*** Joe ( lazyriverguy) had his Hennessey hammock set up ( with the standard rain fly ) under a 16 x 20 tarp when the storm hit us. What a great place several of us had to get under , relax and even cook a meal while under a water fall of rain and lots of wind.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One thing I did find out and no one says anything about it.

Camping in a tent in a bad storm all your stuff outside takes a beating and on a sand bar get sand all over , in and around it

If I would of been in the Hennessey then all that stuff would of been under the oversize rain fly I have for it and stayed dry and clean. The same way it would of done under a tarp. Like the stuff the guys in the Hennesseys did. :D

Also the new Hennesseys are made with heavier material and the sides are a shade higher then the older ones. The rain flys are not attached to the main line like on mine and the older hammocks. Ours they can be attached or not , that choice was not available on the new Safari that Bear had for this trip. He had to use the rain fly as a separate item when hanging his hammock.

Irregardless he did say he got some good sleep and rest in the hammock. Even during that storm. I can vouch for that since I listened to his snoring. :lol:

Not sure about this but I was told that the exercise mattresses the gals use to work out on are non slip ones and will work in a hammock and stay put when in place. Plus they can be rolled up for packing and then unrolled later for what ever someone wants them for. As I said ... no pratical or personal information about that , just some fireside chatter. :wink:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Not sure about this but I was told that the exercise mattresses the gals use to work out on are non slip ones and will work in a hammock and stay put when in place.
Nugatory Ole Sparkanator.....nugatory. Tryin' ta sleep in a sleepin' bag on them exercise pads will have ya slippin' all round inside the hammock.....like rasslin' a gymnast....the kind with the big muscles. The Hennessey bottom iz slick az snot.....same with them exercize pads. My big fella bag slid on top of the pad. We give some thought ta a Ridge Rest cuz it iz like a waffle on both sides.

My best sleep come rite after that hoodoochie come in after breakfast. I'd doze off listenin' ta ya'll under that big ass tarp Joe had over hiz ole hammock, then woke up listenin' ta Ray under Mister Leaky that Oouter drug outta hiz basement after 20 years. It wuz stereo boat science. The last time I woke up I near bout drowned in a plethora (Howard Cosell used ta drop that one) of boat science. I wuz mitey thankful I wuz high up on that ridge lookin' down on all ya'll. I figgered it would be mitey danged hard ta find a better spot ta be layin' up in a hammock in the rain.

A expedishun iz mostly bout the folks who join up ta go on 'em. I been on a few expedishuns with most of them fellas, but it wuz good ta see Gary 'n meet hiz brother Brian. I wuz glad ta see Mac cuz I like ta help the downtrod when their hats begun ta apart, even tho he iz a bad influence round the campfire.

Aint nothin' closer'n bein' up close ta a fella who blowed out with hiz gear floatin' downriver. Az sorry az I wuz ta see Van blow out (learnt a few new cuss words), we wont ever fergit that time. Joe done good helpin' too. I near bout tole him he had ta git naked like ya done on the Buffalo, but the mind pichur of Van naked made me keep quiet.

There aint no words ta tell folks bout paddlin' with Harry 'n Ray......but if ya recall the Odd Couple, yer half way there. I like ta listen ta both Joes....been listenin' ta one of 'em fer years. Mebbe it iz hard ta put together a big expedishun 'n have fun? Mebbe we jest drew some good cards? Before the third nite I wuz plannin' three 'er four other expedishuns......some with other folks on this forum I aint looked in the eye yet. Gator Mac agreed ta the Missouri Breaks Expedishun '09, long az we go in September. Both the Joes sez they mite sign up long az it aint a short paddle. Black Creek 'er the Blackwater River oughta draw some of the Texans 'n folks frum Louisiana in March? :roll:

How bout postin' a pichur in yer apron? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Security without liberty is called prison. unknown

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
How bout postin' a pichur in yer apron? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

The wife had me putting together a new BBQ Grill/smoker/cooker yesterday ( Our old one is shot and needed replacing ) so there is a chance I will be using the apron but am Leary to since I was told it was for cooking on camping trips. :lol:

Darn gas tank was ready to fall threw the bottom of the old one. They are simple to put together , this new one took me 3 hours to assemble it and I don't have the nerve to try it. Strictly out of precaution since I hate to hear things go .... BOOM. With three burners and a side burner , it should make a loud boom. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks for the report, Chuck. It seems that "standard" rain flies just don't cut the mustard for hammocks. We need more covered horizontal space for the rain to drop out of the wind before it gets to the hammock.

Like you, I like a larger fly. My 10'X14' or 10'X12' both work fine. Your hex does too.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Whatever fly come with my Safari Deluxe worked swell.....cept I had ta drop it down when the wind kicked it up a notch. We had a hoodoochie, but it stayed dry.