Home Defense Rifle | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Home Defense Rifle

dawallace45

Bear

A 22 rifle in the hands of some one proficient with it is much better than a shotgun in the hands of some one who doesn't know how to use it , back when it there was no restrictions on buying firearms here and no licence required we used to get lots of people buying rifles and shotguns just to have in the house , on the odd occasion you would see some of these people on the range , most of these people weren't shooters and had to be shown how to load and fire the firearms , the great bulk of these people couldn't hit a IPSC target at 12 ft [ some thing I'd previously thought imposable ,

I also used to help out a mate at his gunshop off and on and we used to get people coming in to buy firearms for home defence , they didn't want help or advice they just wanted a pump action shotgun like they saw on TV , we would try and give the people a run down on using the firearms but the great bulk of people refused help and basically said " it's a shotgun , what do I really need to know more than that , I've seen them used on TV " and walked out , it wasn't unusual for many of these people coming in weeks or months later asking how to load the firearm or in many cases they have worked out how to load it but can't make it fire because they didn't know what a safety was [ Hell they never said any thing about safeties in the movies ]

Some one who can really handle a 22 rifle is way better off than some one with a 12 g shotgun who doesn't know how to get his safety off and probably can't hit s&*t with if he does , of course if you have some one who is proficient with all sorts of firearms then they can make out with what ever they have to hand , after all is said and done a shooter is the weapon , the firearm just his tool

I think I may have posted some time back about what I'd carry if it were a option here and of course it would be a Beretta 71 [ .22 LR ] not because it's a power house round [ it's not ] but because with our climate the Beretta would be concealable and easy to carry all the time where my favourite pistol a Springfield 1911A1 wouldn't ,

Friend from the old Shooters .com forum was telling me last year how he's had a carry licence for several years now and got mugged for the first time in his life last year , his carry gun is a 1911A1 [ .45ACP ] and he found it uncomfortable and hard to conceal in the hot humid weather so like gbinga he started leaving it in the truck , he reckons it's imposable to tell just how stupid and helpless you feel knowing you have a gun in your vehicle 20 feet away when your being robbed at knife point , I understand he's now carrying a Beretta Bobcat

David

dawallace45

Chuck / Bear

Mine had a crappy trigger at first , a trip to the gunsmith cured that , the stock was wrong for me with the original sights so I
put on a 2/7 and after that it was all good , my rifle liked a certain batch of PMC and that was fine as I had 20,000 rounds of it on hand , for some reason once I run out of that batch it didn't seem to like what was currently available but it seemed to like the new Winchester stuff fine so I bought another 20,000 rounds of that , with either of these loads it would put 5 shots into half a inch at 50 metres over a bench , that was on a par with my CZ and the trigger on the 10/22 was better than the trigger on my CZ , of course the CZ then went off to the same gunsmith and came back even better than the 10/22

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

Ole George asked a fair question bout hiz home 'n family. Question bout two rifles. The High Sheriff haz blown this thread so far off course we likely wont ever git back. I got a dollar sez ya dont reach fer a .22 if there iz a bump in the nite in yer house. :wink: Too bad there aint one gun that will do the job in ever situation. I seen an Israel gun that fired off like a machine gun, but slowed down 'n shot fine 100 yard groups. Mite have been 9mm 'er .308. I slept, therefore fergot.

I wish good luck ta anybody who aims ta protect hiz home 'n family with a .22.....even with Stingers.

respectfully
bearridge

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk? Harry Callahan

dawallace45

Bear

Hell I'd be reaching for my 45 colt lever gun , my target 22 with bull barrel and 6-24 scope is just too awkward and heavy , hell it's even too heavy to swing freely as a club , I'm just saying your better off with any firearm you know how to use well as opposed to a gun you can't use and what ever gun you have , learn to use it , practice , practice , practice

But getting back to Georges original question , I've owned AR15's and a Mini14 , both had crappy triggers , I could find a gunsmith to work on the Mini14 but not the AR15 , it may well be different in the USA , both are great guns , a good trigger on the Mini improves the accuracy out of sight , both guns were very reliable , accuracy was better with the Mini than the AR15 and the CAR was just so so , all preformed better with handloads than factory , the AR15 would shoot 3" groups at 100 with scope over a rest , some may do better than that , mine didn't , the Mini would shoot 11/2" at 100 m with scope over a rest [ after the trigger was done ]

If I had to choose between the two it just comes down to fit and feel and I suppose cost , for me I preferred the Mini , my brother-in-law preferred the AR15

I've never shot one of the 9 mm carbines but have shot many thousands of rounds from the 357 , 45 and 44 lever guns and love them , all of the ones I've owned would shoot 5 shots into a 4" group at 100 metres with Iron sights and handloads , they may well have shot better than that but that is as good as I can do with open sights and I can't even do that well now and am having to use scopes for any serious work due to eye sight turning to crap , but at home defence ranges it probably doesn't matter all that much , there again all the lever guns I had got the triggers done , a 357 trapper carbine is just pure fun , if you reload they are cheap as chips to shoot , recoil is nothing and are suitable for wives and children to use as well , but then the recoil for the Mini14 and AR15 are nothing too , my wife shoots both well , I really like both the Marlin carbines and the Rossi , all the ones I had were great , mate had a Marlin 44 recently and it shot badly , first few shots grouped well then it walked all over the place , it was eventually replaced by the distributor , the new one shoots great , if you want to mount a scope go for the Marlin ,

The leverguns in 357 have the bonus of being very light and slim

While I'm not a fan of using the 223 or the 357 for hunting large game at any sort of long range I've shot several hundred good sized wild pigs with the 223 and 357 at close range [ out to 50 metres ] and the results were extremely good , I've not shot people with either calibre but the results on pigs would leave me to believe them to be effective in a defence situation as long as a good bullet was used as in my case

I think it all comes down to what you really want , and what feels right , and if you are a gun nut like some of us here , well lets face it after you get your first 10 or so we tend to buy firearms because we want one and not because we need one , a few hundred firearms ago I used to think up reasons what I needed a certain sort of firearm but for the last 20 years the fact that I want one is enough reason , of course I tend to sell the old ones off and have never had more than 15 at one time [ not counting pistols ]

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

I didnt take it that way, but what if ya wuz drivin' a herd north....way up ta Montana....'n ya had ta cross a river after a big hoodoochie? Well.....it mite have stirred up a nest of cotton mouths. That Judge would come in mitey handy then. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I'll say a word, jest a word. This was a good brave boy, he had a fine tenor voice and we'll all miss him. There's accidents in life and he met with a bad one. Now we may all do the same if we aint careful. Dust to dust. Now let's the rest of us go on to Montana. Gus McCrae

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
dawallace45 said:
...and if you are a gun nut like some of us here , well lets face it after you get your first 10 or so we tend to buy firearms because we want one and not because we need one , a few hundred firearms ago I used to think up reasons what I needed a certain sort of firearm but for the last 20 years the fact that I want one is enough reason...

:D :D :D

I think you have me figured out, mate. I'm glad my wife doesn't read this forum. 8)

Your long posts are welcome. You've spent more time shooting than I'll ever get a chance to, and I value your experience. Same goes for the rest of the guys here.

I have a lot to think about, including the fact that semiauto .223 seem to be universally backordered right now. If I wait a while, I could probably get one at a gun show from some guy who bought one right after the election and now can't figure out why he did it.

I've always wanted a Marlin .357 lever gun. Perhaps that is indeed reason enough to go get one.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Since ole Bear said I side track everyone ... Here Goes. :roll:

Forget the guns , have three Pit Bulls in the back yard , Three in the front yard and three in the house. No one would ever get in there. :lol:

One guy I know ( when working at the Sheriffs Office ) was having trouble with peeping Tom's. We could never catch them when he called the office and we went out there looking for the suspect or suspects. They knew the area and were some slick persons but not slick enough.

He lived in a remote area out in the middle of an good size orange grove with one road in and the same one out.
He hunted and had a lot of firearms and was saying he would shot them the next time and I believed he would of without thinking about it. The trouble of it was he was a really likable person I would of hated to see get into a lot of trouble. Even better yet he had a sence of humor.

One evening his wife ( a good looking gal ) was taking a shower and she told him someone or somebody was peeping in the window. He whistled up 4 of his Pit Bulls he used for hog hunting ( he just happen to have in the house that night ) and when opening the door said ...... CATCH.
I have no idea where he got that idea from , that's the almost truth and I stand by it. :roll:

That was just what they did , brought back part of the peepers shirt and trousers.
He called the office and I checked it out and all I could do was to look for someone missing a lot of clothing , never did find them.

The suspect had vanished , the dogs were smiling and he never had another problem , I never had another call out there about prowlers or anything else. Did make/show up for a BBQ or two out there , a good pork BBQ. :wink:

To stay with the subject matter so Bear will not accuse me of hijacking this thread ..... I think ( if memory serves me ) one of the pit's was named .... Pistol cause he sure .. was one. Cocked and loaded for anything at any time.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
gbinga said:
I've been thinking about buying a medium caliber semiauto rifle. Anyone have experience with the Ruger Ranch Rifle? What they used to call a Mini-14? Or suggestions about an alternate?
I reckon a moat fulla man eatin' fish mite be a good idea too? :?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I am afraid I am with Chuck on this one.

A very good dog - or three of them makes for better and more effective home defence. As much as I hate all this anti-gunn BS that seems so politically correct now, In my opinion some good dogs will not only keep the bad guys out, the bad guys that they do keep out will tell their mates - other bad guys and word will soon get out that your house is just too hard.

These parasites will quickly find somewhere else to ply their evil trade. Why do you think so many drug dealers have high fences and a bunch of bad dogs?

Legal firearms are allmost impossible to own here now and they have to be so securely locked away as to make them completely useless for home defense. My back door hasn't been shut in 9 years, heck, I don't even know where the key is. Convicted criminals live all around me, yet no body has unlawfuly entered my house let alone stolen anything from it. I go to bed at night, with the house left wide open, secure in the certain knowledge that my dogs will chew the hell out of anyone, stupid enough to come inside my border.

I say three dogs because they then become a pack - with a pack mentality. properly trained and with the right temperment, they will relentlessly guard you and yours with their lives and at the same time, become very good friends.
My oldes and roughest, a rottweilee/bullmastiff cross used to be MY dog, now, he has taken a shine to my yougest grand-daughter, Claere and the two are inseperable.

e08a721a.jpg

Drives her mother nuts :D cause he won't let her discipline the child, gets between them every time. great fun to watch.
'caurs, i spoil the child rotten. Thats my job. I'm a ganddad. :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
okay....I got it. A moat fulla man eatin' fish, a pack of vicious dogs 'n a flock of killer geese? :mrgreen:

double naught seven
bearridge

There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall than that of defrauding the government.  Benjamin Franklin

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Re:

tx river rat said:
There are two sounds I will never forget ,drunk ,dead asleep, been up for 48 hours. Pump shotgun being racked and the pin coming off a hand grenade.
Ron
I am wide awake thinking about :lol:

:shock: That and a stick breaking 4 yards from your pos at 0300... :shock:

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Re:

oldsparkey said:
Anyone wanting to do a lot of shooting there is a critter out there made for that. A person can become so efficient with it it is like when your were a kid with a BB Gun.

You put so many rounds threw it you never had to really aim but just point and fire...

I was re-reading this thread and came across Chuck's post - I guess I wore out a couple of Daisys growing up. Used to go down to the creek and hunt dragonflys - Shoot them right out of the air on a good day, but mostly wait until they'd lite somewhere. Anybody ever do that?

What little I know about shooting, I bet I learned 60% of it wearing out a Daisy BB gun. I was a reasonably orderly kid, and my parents let me self-supervise. The world being what it is now, not many kids get that benefit.

George

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Re: Re:

gbinga said:
oldsparkey said:
What little I know about shooting, I bet I learned 60% of it wearing out a Daisy BB gun. Yup! I was a reasonably orderly kid, and my parents let me self-supervise. Yup! The world being what it is now, not many kids get that benefit. And, Yup!

George
Dat would be me in the 50's and early 60's! 8)

I often wonder what today's kids will become. :(

Mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I had one 'er two BB guns. No idea who made 'em. Nuthin' fancy like the Red Ryder. Nobody I knew had a Red Ryder, so I didnt know what I wuz missin'. Our BB guns done the job okay. Everbody (all the fellas) had a pocket knife soon az ya kin open one. Most everbody took 'em ta school, cept fer the switch blades. [They led ta smokin', shootin' pool 'n the wrong path.] I recall playin' mumbley peg at recess. The teacher took yer knife if ya carved yer name in a desk. They give it back at the end of the school day on yer way home with a sore butt.

Ammo wuz hard ta come by when yer a little pardner. A box of shorts had ta last a while. BBs wuz purty eazy ta come by....in the little packs like a roll of dimes, a plastic bag 'er a box. We wuz all careful when it come ta shootin' powder bullets. We all seen Mister Warfield with hiz shriveled up arm that come frum a careless shot with a .22. Nobody wanted a arm like that. No way ta play short stop 'er catch a pass. Nobody really liked basketball all that much. It smelled bad.

We wuz careful with shotguns when we wuz old enuff fer doves....cept that time my Dad took the ball team huntin' but no doves showed up.

regards
bearridge

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.