Home Defense Rifle | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Home Defense Rifle

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
know what yu mean about guns and days past

I grew up with guns in the house, my kids grew up with guns in the house

when i tell some folks that my guns are/were loaded and under the bed or in the closet - not locked up - the whole time my kids were growing up, they just about have a heart attack

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
know what yu mean about guns and days past

I grew up with guns in the house, my kids grew up with guns in the house

when i tell some folks that my guns are/were loaded and under the bed or in the closet - not locked up - the whole time my kids were growing up, they just about have a heart attack

Something you can't do today with kids around or they will put you under the Jail..... But back then........

All of mine were assailable at any time and ... LOADED....Before the kids arrived and up till they moved out and got married and they never messed with them. The empty gun is the one that kills folks , never a loaded one.

Needless to say the girls were interested in them so I would take one , we would go out back and they would shoot it to see what it felt like , sounded like and what it would do to a jug filled with water. ( A coke bottle , warm and shook up ) also makes an impressive display when hit.

To make a long story short , as they aged they had there own guns and we never had any problems with the loaded firearms in this house. I was raised up around guns and all of them were loaded , or most of them were. The shotguns were always cleaned after duck , dove , snipe or quail hunting and emptied.

Chuck.
PS. Today ..... Anyone I or the wife would need is loaded and where we can get it without any trouble.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I was raised with guns in the house also. When we were young, it was just understood that you did not handle a gun without an adult present. No meant no in those days. Now, parents seem to have so little control of their children that they can not trust them to obey those kinds of rules. They have to resort to locking everything up to keep it out of reach.

Anyway, I think dogs are definitely a deterrent. Crooks want the easy way out. Unless they know you have big cash and valuables around, they would just as soon pass up a house with snarling 100# Rottweiler. A good gun you are comfortable with is a good backup for those pesky Rottweiller chewed vermin that get past the first line of defense. :mrgreen:

dawallace45

About 15 years ago A mate from the Brisbane Pistol Club who lived down Logan City way bought a pure breed Rottweiler for home protection but he still had his place broken into , they backed a van up to his door and took his TV , video , stereo , microwave , lounge suite , and his wife's underwear , that was really sick as his wife is about 5'5" and weighs in at about 240 lb , they ripped his gun safe up from the floor where it was bolted down , they didn't get his guns as he had them with him at a big shoot , to add insult to injury they craped on the lounge room carpet and stole his Rottweiler as well , he just couldn't work it out as most of the gear was old and just not worth stealing , the dog and the gun safe were worth more than the rest , if some one is determined to rip you off there isn't really all that much you can do unless you are there at the time

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I aint pickin' on Shreveport, but my wife lived there fer a while. She had a woman who come by fer a haircut ever six weeks....brung the whole family. They had a big German Shepherd 'n a house on 40 acres out frum town. A ex-military law kept a close eye on 'em ta see when the kids got on the school bus 'n when her husband left fer work. Then he come in 'n raped her. The dog didnt do nuthin'. After that they sent the dog off ta a fella in Ruston who turnt him inta a Leroy Brown, junk yard dog.

regards
bearridge

ps I'd like a noise makin' dog 'n a sanctionizer. [That iz a politikle correct name fer a gun that makes folks feel warm 'n fuzzy.] [chuckle]

Karmageddon: It's when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, and then the Earth explodes and it's a serious bummer.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I been sittin by the side just watching to see where this one went.

Mini 14 is still a fine rifle in my opinion but I am a little surprised nobody here has mentioned the original. The magnificent Garand M1 carbine in .30 cal. They would seem to me to be the ideal home defense weapon. Small and light, a solid and respectable sized slug with enough stopping power to bring a man down within the confines of a home or house yard but without the range to kill somebody a mile away should you miss the intended target.

Small enough and with minimal recoil so that the ladies can be comfortable using it and very capable of letting a shit load of shots go in the general direction of the villian. :p Get a 30 round mag. 8)

dawallace45

Joey
Low lifes probably figured they could sell the dog to some one who went pig hunting with dogs or to one of the illegal dog fights , were a lot of big breeds going missing around about then , bastards were going around stealing dogs just for the fights

David

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
<Why put birdshot in a home defense shotgun when you can put in slugs or 00 buckshot? No, I have never seen anyone shot with birdshot at close range.>

And you don't want to!

<I have a good pal who gives me grief fer choosin' 00 fer my 870. He sez slugs...minimum. Hiz point iz 00 dont go thru furniture worth a dang. He likes the .45 with 230 gr bad boys 'er 12 ga. 3" Breneke slugs.>

I've never argued that point with either you OR Art but,-------------------I keep my Winchester 1300 Defender loaded with 3 rounds of slug followed by 3 rounds of 00 and the balance birdshot. Arts' point about penetration is spot on but has it ever occurred to you that birdshot is the 'original' frangible ammo? At foot-of-the-bed (thanks to someone for that useful phrase!) range a load of #8 is a virtually solid column of lead. On human flesh it acts much like a hollowpoint round----and you d***ed sure don't want to examine the results up close. A few feet further and it opens up rapidly reducing the likelihood that it will penetrate walls to do collateral damage to unintended targets. That is the definition of frangible.

<Shotguns - love them. I just don't understand the pre-occupation with bloody pump actions. Fine guns but lets face it. You have to pump the bloody thing between shots.>

The same reason that many of us prefer revolvers to semi-autos. In a defense weapon that is seldom or never used utter dependability is the #1 virtue. I've seen many semi-autos of various sorts that became gummed up with dried lubes but never an inoperable revolver or pump shotgun. It's the firearms version of suspenders AND a belt.

<I found during the next few years that I much preferred the Semi-auto shotgun to the pump , auto was much faster and just as reliable as the pump it also had the added bonus of being usable after a injury>

I find that a far more valid point!

<There is no way I will ever admit to the deer , and things you have to use a center fire cartridge on by state law to hunt---but a 22 will drop then just as butcher shop dead.>

And far more quietly. In the worst scenarios stealth may be of equal value to firepower. But the bottom line is to learn to shoot what you have accurately under all conditions. A miss by a .44 isn't of half the worth of a hit with a .22!

<Some one who can really handle a 22 rifle is way better off than some one with a 12 g shotgun who doesn't know how to get his safety off and probably can't hit s&*t with if he does ----after all is said and done a shooter is the weapon , the firearm just his tool>

Yup----it's the nut behind the trigger that is the critical component of a weapon system! The rest is little more than recreational debate.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Tom
I like the way you think and are dead on(no pun intended ) about the birdshot and the 22 and the revolver
My favorite shotgun is a hammerless 12 double short barrel with a 8 shot shell holder on the butt stock
Ron
The knock down debate is just that ,I hunt with a 7 Remington Mag has more muzzle volicity than any pistol made
a deer can still run a hundred yards with a 3 inch hole in one side of the chest, so can a man.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:
Arts' point about penetration is spot on but has it ever occurred to you that birdshot is the 'original' frangible ammo? At foot-of-the-bed (thanks to someone for that useful phrase!) range a load of #8 is a virtually solid column of lead. On human flesh it acts much like a hollowpoint round----and you d***ed sure don't want to examine the results up close. A few feet further and it opens up rapidly reducing the likelihood that it will penetrate walls to do collateral damage to unintended targets. That is the definition of frangible.
Friend Tom,

I like the folks on here. I jest dont wanna drop by some day 'n hear how one of 'em aint here no more cuz he grabbed a shotgun fulla birdshot when the dookie hit the fan. Our pal Mike frum Michigan likes birdshot. [He may live in a apartment.] There iz folks I admire 'n respect who jest dont see it like me. Hittin' a vital part so the attack will stop jest makes sense. There aint many vital parts close ta the skin 'n ribs make a dang good vest. I reckon that iz how come we didnt die off like the dough-dough bird....'er in Louisiana the deaux-deaux bird. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

You'll recall that most Western media outlets declined to publish those Danish cartoons showing the Prophet Mohammed. Thus, even they were piously warning of a rise in bogus "Islamophobia" -- i.e. entirely justified concerns over Islamic terrorism and related issues -- they were themselves suffering from genuine Islamophobia -- i.e., a very real fear that, if they published those cartoons, an angry mob would storm their offices. It was a fine example of how the progressive mind's invented psychoses leave it without any words to describe real dangers. Mark Steyn

dawallace45

The same reason that many of us prefer revolvers to semi-autos. In a defence weapon that is seldom or never used utter dependability is the #1 virtue. I've seen many semi-autos of various sorts that became gummed up with dried lubes but never an inoperable revolver or pump shotgun. It's the firearms version of suspenders AND a belt.

Tom

I have to disagree with that statement , a revolver can be unreliable if subjected to abuse and neglect , back when I used to run the Pistol range down in Brisbane I would see lots of revolvers subjected to so much neglect that they wouldn't work , here are a few examples .

A security officer turned up at the range to have his 5 yearly practice session and when he went to open the revolver and place it on the bench it wouldn't open , he decided to fire it first and jar what ever was stoping it from opening loose , as range officer I stoped him and inspected the firearm , the cylinders and barrel were filled up with a mud wasp nest .

Another security guard turned up with a gun that wouldn't shoot and it turned out to be so filled with lint and dust it just couldn't possibly work .

Very big fat policeman turned up a the range and his gun wouldn't fire , seemed that his maintenance program to stop the gun rusting seeing as how this man would manage to sweat profusely in a freezer was to take the gun and holster and spray it with penetrating oil every day , so a year or two later the oil had managed to penetrate the primers and the rounds were no longer viable ,

Another policeman turned up at the range and his gun wouldn't open , seems the problem was that after years of neglect he managed to top it off by getting the gun soaking wet in salt water about a year before and hadn't bothered to do more than wipe down the outside , the inside was rusted shut and the little springs and bits inside had turned to red dust , the cartridges had grown onto the cylinder walls .

There were many more incidences like these but these were by far the worst and in all the cases the people were either police or security guards , of course the situation has changed these days and the police and security get far better training and shoot more regularly and that helps , back then the training for both was pretty much nonexistent , ask Mick to detail what sort of equipment and training they used to get , of course one of the biggest problems with both Police and Security was lack of interest in firearms , most police then and now don't like guns and just aren't interested in them .

I don't know what the situation is like now and if it's chanced in the last three or so years but it seems that Security companies are taking on more of the traditional rolls that Police used to fill and many of the security companies are becoming much more professional , one of the security companies I used to make holsters for was run by a guy who was ex-army and also ex-police , he was outlining their training program [ and it was impressive ] and reckoned that they had to be twice as good and professional as the police to get half the respect

David

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
dawallace45 said:
...........one of the biggest problems with both Police and Security was lack of interest in firearms , most police then and now don't like guns and just aren't interested in them ........
David
That surprises me, David. Over here, the police are some of the biggest gun aficionados I've ever seen. At least where I work, anyway.

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have to disagree with that statement , a revolver can be unreliable if subjected to abuse and neglect , back when I used to run the Pistol range down in Brisbane I would see lots of revolvers subjected to so much neglect that they wouldn't work , here are a few examples .

A security officer turned up at the range to have his 5 yearly practice session and when he went to open the revolver and place it on the bench it wouldn't open , he decided to fire it first and jar what ever was stoping it from opening loose , as range officer I stoped him and inspected the firearm , the cylinders and barrel were filled up with a mud wasp nest .

Another security guard turned up with a gun that wouldn't shoot and it turned out to be so filled with lint and dust it just couldn't possibly work .

Very big fat policeman turned up a the range and his gun wouldn't fire , seemed that his maintenance program to stop the gun rusting seeing as how this man would manage to sweat profusely in a freezer was to take the gun and holster and spray it with penetrating oil every day , so a year or two later the oil had managed to penetrate the primers and the rounds were no longer viable ,

Another policeman turned up at the range and his gun wouldn't open , seems the problem was that after years of neglect he managed to top it off by getting the gun soaking wet in salt water about a year before and hadn't bothered to do more than wipe down the outside , the inside was rusted shut and the little springs and bits inside had turned to red dust , the cartridges had grown onto the cylinder walls .

Any of the above is just misuse and any kind of weapon would not have functioned,
D Wallace I ran a local range here for over 15 years, the malfunctions I saw on this range were way above 100 to one in favor of the wheel gun , a revolver is not perfect ,nothing is ,but a revolver is way more reliable than an auto.
Little things stopped the autos, changing ammo was a big thing, in the autos ,if it would get out the end of the barrel the revolver would just keep fireing.The Glock was a hot seller a few years ago but i saw them malfunction a lot with small guys and women
Bear at close range 20 ft or less,room size , the birdshot will stop a man faster than a slug that blows thru him,and leave a much more vicous wound and believe me it want stop at the skin, I have seen what birdshot does up close and buckshot and slugs, I was a medic in Nam and worked in a Mash hosp that had a pow ward , It aint good from any of them but there is a definate difference in the wound channel.
Use what you have cofidence and expertise with and hope you never have to use it.
Ron

dawallace45

Mike

Many policemen here in Australia are serious gun people , but most aren't , I have several good friends who are still serving members of the Police Service , I met them through the shooting sports , every where I have lived I've been on good terms with the local police and have had regular interaction with them because of the licensing regulations and because I was generally either the president or on the committee of at least one of the local shooting clubs and also the local firearm safety training officer , local sergeant of one of the places I've lived put me on to several guns for my collection , but I would say that probably about 90% of the policemen I have met have had no interest in firearms at all , several times I've been rang up to come down to the Police station to check firearms that had been confiscated at domestics , the police on duty didn't know how to check if the firearms were loaded and if so how to unload them and make them safe , seemed the sergeant had told them if they had any problems along that line while he was off on one of his regular hunting or fishing trips to call me

Any of the above is just misuse and any kind of weapon would not have functioned,

Ron

I agree , but many people think revolvers are infallible but every firearm needs care and attention to function right ,

Yes , semi-autos can tend to be fussy as to ammo and especially bullet shape , but no sensible person would shoot a competition with ammo that they weren't 100% sure of and no sane person would carry a gun for personal safety with ammo they weren't 100% sure of , all my semi-auto's I used for competition had their triggers done , some had better sights , all had their feed ramps polished some had aftermarket springs but the most important thing was that any time I made a change to the ammo I would shoot 400 rounds of the new ammo with out a malfunction , actually I had the same standard for my revolvers too , I never had a failure to feed or a stoppage of any kind with either my auto's or revolvers because of that and any one who applied a lesser standard to a carry pistol is in my mind foolish indeed

David