I have started the Bayou Skiff.... | Page 8 | SouthernPaddler.com

I have started the Bayou Skiff....

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Chuck, when you first started this boat, you were going to glass the sides and bottom before assembly, then changed your mind, apparently due to space constraints. Do you think the method is still something to try? I was thinking of glassing the inside surfaces prior to putting them together. Of course, then the seams would still have to be taped, so more glass, weight and work. I was just fishing for the reasons you decided against that method.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My initial idea was to do the panels on the inside and then assemble them. Run a small fillet along the seams to make sure it would hold , When they were together then tape and do a final fillet to the seams.
Complete the inside the turn the boat over and glass the outside. As it turned out I did not have the room to lay everything out to glass it so I did it the old fashion way.

I believe the way I wanted to do it would of been more time consuming and as it turned out it only took about 1 1/2 hours to glass the whole inside. For some reason everything just fell into place and I could make some good time on the glassing.

I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort , the sides were suckers to meet up , especially the transom area and if the wood would of been glassed it could of been harder to form into shape and match up with the transom.

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Thanks for that, yes thinking further into what that would take, more time, glass, effort, weight, oh, and money...never mind. But, here's another one. What problems would you see in making the boat the full 14'-0 in length, leaving everything else the same?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Captindoug......

If I was going to stretch it from the 13 -9 and 1/4 it to 14.... Not sure what a few more inches would do since there is a good amount of rocker in it the way it was designed and what 3 more inches would do. I can not see any problems in making it the full 14 ........

I checked with Uncle John....... Here is what he had to say.
Wouldn't be a problem for them to be cut a couple of inches longer to make up the difference. Truth is it could probably be stretched to 16' and come out all right by spacing the rib sets a bit wider. If I was going 16' I would add a rib.

The rocker has it benefits , you run up on a log and get stuck back of the mid line , then just go forward and float off of it and keep going. Now without all the rocker in it you might be able to go over that log with just a bump since it would be a shallower draft boat. You would lose a lot of the ability of spinning the boat around on itself or making quick adjustments in the direction ( maneuverability ) of travel since there would be more resistance to the boat from the longer water line.

When I get a chance to try it out then I can make better suggestions but only as far as my likes or dislikes. One thing I do know from the pirogues....... The skiff will be able to be paddled and nosed up on the river bank, might call it grounded ( 90 degrees to the bank ) so a person can just stand up and walk out of it without a problem. Get back in it to raise the nose up and float off , no more WET FEET. :D

Naz..........

I did my normal trick........ Both the green under the rail and the yellow along the water line is the Duck 667 Pro Series Electrical ( Vinyl ) Tape.
I have used it on other boats and it is still on them and stuck tight. If you would be worried about the water weaking them , a coat of varnish over them waterproofs them.
I use to paint them on the boats , then I found this tape , tried it and really like it. :D

Chuck.......

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
IT FLOATS.......... :shock: :roll: :lol:

bayou%20skiff%20071.jpg

Here is the link to the test run and more pictures.........
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7590

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Beefed up the transom a 1/4 inch inside and outside. Both pieces are glassed and attached with Brass Screws so if they need replacing late on it will be a easy thing to do.

bayou%20skiff%20091.jpg

Added this to the bow so a person can pick up the front or attach a line to it.

bayou%20skiff%20092.jpg

front view.......

bayou%20skiff%20093.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
beekeeper said:
Great job. Very pretty wood.

beekeeper

I have to agree , it is some nice wood and they came out better then I thought they would. The best part is the scraps of the raw wood that have been sitting out in the weather since December are just as good as when I put them out there to see when they were going to fall apart.

Some times I just get lucky. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have a coat of the UV protective varnish on there , then went back and put on a coat of the satin varnish to soften the look and get rid of the shine of the other varnish ( the satin does not have UV protection ) It is still drying but I do like the looks of it.

( Edited 4-04-10. DO NOT , I repeat ... DO NOT use the Interlux Goldspar Satin Varnish on the boat.
The regular shinny varnish with all the UV protection , Interlux Schooner Varnish , is holding up really well ... The satin , after getting some dew on it is peeling.
)

bayou%20skiff%20095.jpg

Got carried away and decide to name this boat , since Uncle John calls it the " Bayou Skiff " , I decided to name it that. This way if someone sees it they can Google it and find out where to get one for there fun.
Keeping with the color scheme I contacted the folks at Custom Vinyl Lettering and had them make the lettering transfer for me. http://www.custom-vinyl-lettering.net.
Needless to say , I am a happy camper with there product. :D

The final touch to the building of the " Bayou Skiff "

bayou%20skiff%20094.jpg

Chuck...........
One on each side of the stern of the boat.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As I have said all along , going to trailer the Skiff and not car top it. So Mac and I went to B & G Trailers up in Deland and I picked up this hot dipped Galvanized one for the skiff..... Plus Mac got some good ideas for his boat trailer which he wants to replace. It was a good trip for the both of us.
The trailer looks long but believe it or not the skiff will hang over the back by 16 inches , according to our tape measure , the way it is set up right now. Some final tweaking will be done in a week or so to make everything right. 1st I have to go and see the tax man and make a donation :lol: for a tag. :roll:

bayou%20skiff%20096.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20097.jpg

Anyone that knows trailers can see there is a ton of adjusting available to get it the way the person wants it for there boat. Even thinking that I might be able to take a canoe or pirogue on there if I wanted to when everything is set. The stern of the skiff is 19 inches so we set the bunks at 20 on the outside measurement which a pirogue or canoe could also sit on.

Some tweaking and fiddling to do but that is half the fun.

Chuck....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , I thought it was a good deal , one to good to pass up. Did have some fun with the lady salesperson , she asked what is my weight when we were talking about the boat .... I told he I am 205 :lol: That stopped her for a moment... Then she said .. No the boat .... Again they are use to heavy boats so I said it is quite heavy , somewhere between 80 and 90 pounds , might end up being 100 if I catch any fish. I can't say what she said in the look she gave me but we did have a lot of fun and I got my trailer. I did have to do a lot of explaining about the Skiff and gave her a web link to it , plus I told her there is no way I am going to car top it because of the weight lifting restrictions I have due the the defibrillator. I did mention they need to send my Doc a 15% because he is the one that enforces those restrictions. :wink:

The flowers , we have them all over the place and the Naval Orange and Ruby Red Grapefruit trees in the back yard are a solid white from the blossoms. Last night the bedroom window was open and all I could smell was that honey , sweet , aroma of the citrus blossoms. When I go outside , it is ducking Honey Bees and Bumble Bees , they are really busy , the Butterflies are no problem.

Chuck.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Seedtick ......... Good Point.
It's a 1,480 LBS ( 673 Kg ) capacity trailer weighing 230 pounds. With a 100 LB boat at the best or with all of my camping gear in there about the same weight the trailer is 230 or 250 depending on how much stuff I take with me.

I did have one other one for the canoe and it took it down the road really well , even across several states and back. A friend has it now.

Chuck.
PS. That is the lightest one they had.

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
I'm not one to get between a couple of buddies, or what your personal price list might be, but I get my goodies from US Composites. You ought to check em out. If you haven't already. I have gotten the E-glass in; 6oz. X 60, the 4oz. X 38. and the 10oz. x 60.A couple of rolls of tape in 2" and 4". ( cus it's cheeper by the roll, and you know your gona use it. ) Never had any complaints myself. It all has come rolled, delivered quick, and without any damages. And their epoxy lays out as good as the rest to me. But I can't afford the high end stuff.
By the way, NICE skiff. I like your work.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Al of us have our favorite places to get the supplies. Mine is Raka because Larry is willing to offer information and is very helpful. Plus he is less then a day away so when I place an order it is here before I can put the cash in the bank to pay for it. Also on the average I only make one boat a year.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldironsides said:
Oldsparkey, it's a little of subject but just how close are you to B&G. Thats a five minute drive for me and I wouldn't mind talkin in person with ya.

Will send you a Personal Message as far as my location and all of the rest. By the way if you are referring to the B&G Trailers , about 42 minutes south of there. Longer if you stop at Lees Famous Recipes Chicken for a bite to eat in Sanford on the main drag , Man that is some good chicken and the Livers are out of this world. :wink:

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
oldsparkey said:
Al of us have our favorite places to get the supplies. Mine is Raka because Larry is willing to offer information and is very helpful. Plus he is less then a day away so when I place an order it is here before I can put the cash in the bank to pay for it. Also on the average I only make one boat a year.

Chuck.

I understand. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm sure you have more completed than I have. I try for 1 a year as well, I'm only on #5, if we don't count the first one, what a tub, or the one 4' long one for my dads' viking funeral. (see-Anoyher new pirogue builder... by Nismoron. for the photos) and another 2 in the works ( screwed to the wall and hanging from the celing ) in the shed.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
woodchips said:
I understand. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm sure you have more completed than I have. I try for 1 a year as well, I'm only on #5, if we don't count the first one, what a tub, or the one 4' long one for my dads' viking funeral. (see-Anoyher new pirogue builder... by Nismoron. for the photos) and another 2 in the works ( screwed to the wall and hanging from the celing ) in the shed.

I really liked what you did for your Dad , That was very nice and showed a lot of love and respect for him. What a grand final send off , a hand crafted pirogue and all of the respect that went with it.

I have done the same but the 4 foot one I made is still being used by a company here in Florida for there Cajun parties....... They fill it with Crawdads , cooked , naturally. No one would make one for them so I got volunteered.

The rest of the boats , sometimes two a year but that is a rare item , most of the time it is only one over the last 12 years. I have trouble paddling more the one boat at a time.... Actually I end up giving one away now and then to make room to make another...... Might call it sharing the pleasure.

What can I say , I'm retired and building boats is my passion , sharing them is even more fun. Yep , I know where you are coming from ..... they are like Potato chips , One just will not do it. :D

Plus they sure get rid of the everyday stress when making one and especially thinking about the next one and what you want to change in the process. If anything the stress in making one is the good stress , the relaxing type. :D

Chuck.