jem TV pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

jem TV pirogue

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
I am new to this site and Just starting this build. TV 15-32. Thanks for letting me join.

used above patterns to cut panels from 4x16 sheet of okume I had scarffed for another project

putting panels to frames

a "boat of cards" - a little bit like balancing bowling balls on milk bottles..

flipped back over and starting to take shape

thanks to all on this site
Bill

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When it starts to take shape and look like a boat most folks get in a hurry to complete the build. It is always better if you slow down and double check your progress or in plan language , do not rush things.
For me this is the best part of the build , you have a boat but you still have a lot to do to make it a boat.

Chuck.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
"Hey, Chuck, get out of my head, dude." lol
That is really good advice. For probably more things than just boatbuilding... thanks

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Been busy with other projects but got it outside yesterday after work for first serious bout with belt sanding off some of that expensive dried snot on the outside of the hull. my makita belt sander couldn't handle the workout and died. :( burned up inside???? Went to lowes and bought $49 skill sander which performed like a champ for 1/3 the money. :D

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Here she is with her bridal gown on

And first coat

Now for filling the weave and then the sanding - everybody's favorite part

One question I have is if you put fore and aft decks on, how do you do transition of outside rubrail? just start and end at the decks? that's what most people's pics show i think. thanks

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
My question is really about the gunnel between where the foredeck ends and the aftdeck begins. I like to have the gunnel a little thicker, like a handle, for comfort as in lifting the boat etc. But I've only built canoes and pirogues and this 5 panel boat construction is new to me. Rubrail was probably the wrong word to use.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Yep I'm going to have an inside piece going stem to stern for the gunnel. Should I put a shorter piece on the outside going from deck to deck? Or is it ok to leave it plain? Some of this may be style and/or function. I have never built such a tumblehome so I really don't know what it needs. thanks

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Try it first without. If you think it's OK, don't bother to add anything else. If you think it needs something else - add it. We can cut and glue to our heart's content, and the finished product has to satisfy only one person. And, that person isn't me or anyone else. Just you.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
After building the first TV and paddling it for a couple thousand miles I can tell you you need the inside strip and the outside strip from deck to deck on the tumble holmes.
On my last rebuild I even went thicker and wider on the outside piece.
Ron

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks guys.

2nd wet out

holes for bow and stern lines

deck trial

need to get some cypress for gunnels