jem TV pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

jem TV pirogue

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Roger that! When the first few boards start to come together, and it begins to take on the shape of a boat - even if only in our imagination - is a magic moment. When we first paddle off into new waters, exploring far away shores - even if they had been familiar before - is another magic moment.
When folks see our boats, and ask, " Did you build that?" "Yes." "Pretty. Nice boat!" are more magic moments.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014

now I need to fit bulkhead in stern and undersupport for forward deck then put deck peices on and then outer rails and ... sand and paint. am I missing something? ....... Oh, how could I forget, sand, sand, and sand :D

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Well paint still not here but I splashed boat this weekend and I am happy. :D Tracks staight, turns easy and is stable. Love it! Thanks to all on site for help and interest.

Side view with me sitting too far back because my daughter got out of bow to take pic

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
KJ - that's funny. I thought I was the only one that did that.

Put in 4 rod holders - just reinforced holes in deck edges. And hoping for a new double paddle for father's day... And still waiting on paint - Jamestown Distributers is usually better than this.

What are people's opinions regarding foot rests? must have, nice, optional, unnecessary?

thanks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grayduck said:
What are people's opinions regarding foot rests? must have, nice, optional, unnecessary?

thanks

No opinion on them , I just do not use them , but when the paint arrives toss it in the Dempsey dumpster just as they are collecting the trash from it. That way you can say you rescued your boat from a horrible fate. Paint , vial stuff , nasty , should be outlawed , never opened but mostly never be bought. :lol: :roll:

OK , It's your boat to build and do what you want to do with it , I just like the natural wood. :D

Chuck..........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Foot rests, when adjusted and used right, are helpful. Using a kayak paddle, it is easier if you paddle using your back muscles instead of windmilling using arms. Practice keeping the paddle shaft parallel to your shoulders, elbows held at a comfortable angle (not out straight, and certainly not flexing with each paddle stroke), and turn from the waist to push the paddle back to a point about even with your butt.

Then lower the opposite blade into the water and twist the other way. This uses the large, back musckes instead of smaller arm muscles. Also, do not grip the shaft too tightly. Only tight enough to retain control - no more.

Where those foot braces come in, is to push forward with you right foot as you paddle on your right side, and left on left side. This helps prevent TB (tired butt) and keeps blood flowing in your legs. Also helps keep you knees alive so you don't fall back down when you climb out of the boat.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Adding to what has been said on the foot rest, I do put them in a boat ,beside the things listed when using them you get two advantages , it locks you in the boat and will also give you a lot more speed and efficiency when paddling fast and hard ,like trying to outrun a storm or paddling into a headwind.
Ron

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014

gluing down runners for seat, those pieces of cedar are the sides of the seat from a cedar tree I cut down when I was 17 in our backyard - I'm 51 now - Ouch! - that tree has built a lot of things and has been moved to alot of states over the years.
Actually I think I'm on the last plank now.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
To Chuck and others, please be advised that some of the following content may be visually disturbing to you. :shock:

"EZ prime" white primer mixed with duck boat brown for desert storm look - dull dead grass to follow then stencils and spray paint. Painful to watch? :D

I will admit that I did pause for a split second before painting the rails.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
base coat was dull dead grass

then scary part was starting with the spray paint and stencils from BlackJack Camo

I want to give big Thanks to Ron for his how-to on the rope handles

End result sitting in stable:

My daughter and I took her for paddle in creek yesterday evening - but no slime yet.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
profile view

post note: Am I the only one that feels happy with the completion and the launch but a little empty feeling with the lack of an ongoing boat building project? Sign of an addiction I know...
This may be like Captain Obvious but For me I think the key ingredients are: problem solving/planning, doing (working with your hands/tools), and seeing the results.

Now I have to plan a river trip - Edisto or the Four Hole Swamp are the first candidates - black waters

Tight Lines and thanks to everyone maintaining and contributing to this site!