Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I like that.
Just in your spare time you might look at the Northwind :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the darkside
Ron

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks guys - BK- the seat is very basic compared to yours and others.Two pieces of cedar with Ron's routered bases for the two runners. the sides have a gentle curve for the seat and are joined with cedar slats and the back is a piece of okume ply. it folds flat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Grayduck, you have pretty well crystallized the essence of boat building. And, when you employ a kid along in the project, you are also building a kid with a boat - not the other way around.
Then - you get to use it for yourself. And, when folks see it on the water, admire it and ask, "Build it yourself?" You can give a prideful, "Yep."
Fishing, camping, color tour, photo shooting, just lazing along, WTH ever. It's YOUR boat, made the way YOU want it. As the Aussies would point out for us, "Good on ya, mate!"

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
Great looking build and I love the camo job. I looked at Black Jack Camo web site and couldn't find the one you used. Which one was it, please?? I've built two JEM touring pirogues and want to build another, and for sure I'm gonna put some camo on it like yours. Sweet job, I'm proud of you.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thats a really nice camo job , it will be hard to see on the water and with some foliage near it.
As far a river trips the Edisto is a good one . Have not been on the Four Hole Swamp but just the name would make me want to paddle it. :D

Chuck..........

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
I ordered several different stencils: camo real look oak bark is the best for background with flat black paint, camo grass large, camo foxtail and monkey grass but you may do well with a kit. the camo swampland looks like a good one for $40. walmart has most of the camo paints - may need to order a tan grass colored one from cabelas.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
I bought a pair of footrests but don't know where to mount them. I went for a paddle yesterday - very much still sea trials - still learning how to move this thing in the water. I covered about a mile - against incoming tide half the time with a little breeze so I realized that I'm out of shape and am still fighting with the image of Ron and his loaded piro going 7 miles Upstream and pulling away from factory made plastic boats. Used anchor trolley I made and it worked like a charm. Seat position - seems just a little aft of middle. My seat is high enough that most of the time my feet seemed to be flat on the floor. I'm guessing that maybe this is not as efficient for using a kayak paddle. If I were to use the footrest - should I put them above or below the chine? One way points the rest pad down and the other up. I could put angled mounting blocks and get them pointing horizontal. thanks

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
For stability, and paddling efficiency, your seat should be as low as you can use it. On the floor is ideal. This may not be a good position for other activities, say, fishing. May want an adjustable seat? A back rest and side braces (snugly bracketing your butt) will also add to both stability and efficiency.

If you have decking running along the sides of the boat, your knees can be tucked up under that. Padding will alleviate pain on knee caps. Then, position foot braces so that, when your feet and ankles are comfortable, your knees are firmly up against the underdecking. In this manner - back braced against the backrest, butt bracketed on the sides, feet firmly against the foot rests, and knees braced up under the decking - you are "wearing" the boat. Now, as your boat rolls and pitches, you keep your back upright. Your knees and feet control the boat. You can carve a tighter turn , say, to the left, by pushing on the right foot brace and raising your left knee. This tilts the boat to your right and it will carve a nicer turn to the left. Reverse all that for turning to the right.

If the above isn't possible, just put your foot rests where they feel right.

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks Jack. I may try a lower seat and can "adjust" it by adding seat cushions for fishing if needed. I saw one on the seat thread which was a wooden base with a store bought seat on top with straps etc. that may be the ticket...

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Now this is my personal findings and dealing with the racers I have been around.
Unless you plan to try rolling I wouldn't worry about the padding for bracing .
The most efficient stroke is a high stroke and to paddle that way in the T-V you need a high seat. You transfer more power to the stroke the closer to the side of the boat .
I use my foot rest when I need them and the way they are set is with my heels on the floor and the peddle on the lower portion of the ball of my foot.
Jack is correct that the lower you sit the more stable the boat is, in my humble opinion it is a balance where ever you feel stable but high enough for efficient paddling.I also alternate between a low flat stroke and a high stroke to use different muscles and not tire as easy.
Ron

grayduck

Mar 24, 2014

took my kids, 11 and 13, out for youth duck hunting day on sat. Opening day is this coming saturday so good scouting opportunity. We found good spot and saw alot of woodies and they had their chances and a few shots but no hits. "Dad, you were right they fly pretty fast." anyways good trip and I enjoyed having the piro to set up the decoys and paddle around and it towed great behind the boat - decoy sled!