Keeping up | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Keeping up

dawallace45

Andy , you got to have a sense of humour, although many complain that my sense of humour is way too dry

A mates father gave me some advice many years ago , never give up , never surrender, don't stop fighting and don't leave a live enemy behind you and never marry a big fat woman as it will suck the life right out of you

I believe his advice to have some merit

David

dawallace45

Actually he was a surveyor, he liked a beer now and then but never drank much , okay , that was a lie , he loved a beer , he made exceptionally good home brew , he also made very good rum and Gin but no whiskey, he loved hunting , fishing and kayaking , actually pretty much any thing that kept him out scrub and away from his wife, he did however enjoy building kayaks and boats , last I saw him he was building a classic style speed boat , with all the polished timber , it looked truly beautiful even at that stage , he intended putting a ford V 6 in it , never saw it finished as I moved away and got married

His wife had a problem besides being fat and not very bright , her arse seemed to be grafted to the couch , it was a shotgun marriage , he woke up one morning in the back of his car after a country dance to find him self being dragged out of his car by three huge red headed fellas, they then told him that he had sex with their sister and had to marry her , he said that he hadn't had sex with any one that night and they must have the wrong man ,

They then took him and presented him to their sister who was just as tall and broad shouldered as her brothers but hugely fat with it , old mate saw her and said that he'd never drank enough in his whole life to make poking her a possibility, well he got the shit kicked out of him , he tried complaining to the police but they were police , and we don't have town and city police here , they are all state police , they told him that if he tried to make a official complaint they would have him charged with a large variety of things , he made official complaints many times , and just got threatened with jail for it ,

He fort back many times and ended up in hospital many times , seemed the brothers and father were sick of taking care of her and wanted a patsy, he run off many times but they just used their contacts to find him , the brothers and the father didn't get it all their own way , he did significant damage to them on a number of occasions, he never stopped pushing back , on several occasions he beat the father as some of the brothers they had lengthy stays in hospital, a baseball bat will do that

The marriage was only just legal if you stretched the definition of legal , during the marriage at the court house he was in a wheel chair with his jaw wired , they told the clerk that the noises he was making was I Do ,

Before I'd met her I said to my mate and his father , she can't have been that bad , after all you did have sex with her , , the father told me , yes but only after 5 years of marriage and only under pressure and after quite a lot of rum ,

The strange thing was that even with the weird up bringing my mate was incredibly well centred , , he didn't have much time for his mother and she had never had any time for him at all , as far as she was concerned the baby got in the way of her soapies , that was all she did all day and most of the night , watch soapies

Around about the time I got married she had a massive stroke and died , they had to remove the big glass sliding doors to get her out , mate and his father missed the funeral, they were still drunk from the party ,

David

dawallace45

Yeah , he was , hell of à good bloke , back then we didn't have much in the way of getting recompense with anything to do with the police , the police were terribly corrupt , it wasn't just that they were involved with organised crime , at that time the police were organised crime , not quite so bad now , but bad enough , I've seen a cop fit some one up and get them sent to prison for a year on a trumped up charge just to get him out of the way so he could make a play for his girlfriend , they thought they could do any thing and get away with it

David