Lady Bug | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lady Bug

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
It is a love hate relationship with the epoxy, I hate how slow it dries , hate using it for filets, I would have been through with this boat using poly.
Love the finish you get with it ,and the fact you can take it easy because it goes off so slow.
Hate having to let a boat sit for a few days for the epoxy to cure.
I guess it is about even up :lol:
I do think it is softer than poly
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got the bulkheads laid up and glassed

nw5040.jpg

Think they are going to blend pretty well

nw5039.jpg

Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Yep have the Northwind in there right now.
Got most of the decks striped today ,

nw6024.jpg

nw6025.jpg

about one more hour and they will be glued up.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Finally got the decks striped out and sanded

nw6026.jpg

I am like this .

Wet the decks down for a preview of the look.

nw6029.jpg

nw6028.jpg

Oh yea now I am getting pumped over this rig.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Decks glued down ,
nw6033.jpg

Gunnels from white pine glued on

nw6032.jpg

This should take care of the structural part now she will start getting dolled up and looking good.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Getting some fill coats on her

nw6048.jpg

She is starting to get that finish I want now,put the cloth reinforcements on the bow and stern

nw6047.jpg

Slick it up a little more and then shoot the varnish on her , should shine like a new penny.
Ron

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I got to see this boat this last weekend and it is a beautiful boat with a well thought out design. I have a feeling I will be building a copy sometime in the future. Way to go Ron. :shock:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I have the boat back to finish now.
After the boat show (eye Candy post) Ricky and Stacie carried the boat with them for a long weekend on a local river. The boat wasnt finished but was usable.

They put a few miles on her and even got it slimed.
staciewbassinkayak.jpg

They also tried a passenger and it handled it fine

stacieandabbieinkayak.jpg

Little view of how she handles

staciedownsomesmallrapids.jpg

Well I have her back now and it is time to doll her up.
Ron

hairymick01

Ron,

I just found this thread.

I have watched your boat building skills steadily improve over the years to now, where I look at the magnificent joinery work in your stripping process and i find myself in awe of you. You have achieved a level of craftmanship most of us can only aspire to. This lovely boat and your northwind are testament to that. Bloody good job mate.

A few questions if you don't mind.

I have googled Brazos Boat Works and I really like this design.

Why did you opt for this boat as opposed to others?

Have you paddled this design before?

How did you find it performed?

I am looking for a design to suit my lovely Miss Evie to paddle in sheltered skinny water. She has practically no paddling experience and the last thing I want to do is build her a boat that will frighten her.

Respectfully,

Mick

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
Coming from you that is high praise , thank you even if I dont feel it is deserved.
I have seen your boats and I am just trying to catch up with you.

I didnt pick this boat ,they ask for this design . Brazos Boat works has a challenger and a jumbo challenger , my suggestion was the jumbo because she is an inexperienced paddler and they were going to be on large lakes and marshes, the only difference is the Jumbo has 2 inch taller sides.
This boat is stable and easy to paddle and will run shallow. It isnt a speed demon just a nice paddling boat ,I think it would be a good boat for your lady, In Matts line up I would compare it to the original stich and glue Freedom .
Mick You should try the strip stitch and glue , beats marine ply in all ways and you can make them look anyway you want. It is so much cheaper also.
Ron