My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Someone living in this area has one of these. He uses the bike lanes on the side of the road and you can see him all around the area peddling and having fun , anyway it looks like he is having fun. :wink:

His is all yellow. It is a Enclosed Recumbent Tricycle. The picture I found on the web and it is a Enclosed Belgian Recumbent Tricycle.

04-enclosed-belgian-recumbent-tricycles.jpg

Here is a link to make them . Recumbent tricycle plans , a whole page of web sites.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=re ... 2055408766

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
That is a velomobile , they are very popular in Europe. I had the pleasure of trying one in London, but you will fry in one over here in the summer.
Jack
Speed on a bike is like speed in a yak a lot comes into play , your fold up bikes want compare to full street racer in speed and a trail bike will go places the others want go
Same with the trikes, I read where they were getting over 50 mph with some trikes and no fairing, some have up to 90 gears ,heck of a lot faster than I want to go with my butt that close to the ground. and they are all real bikes :lol: :lol:
Tex I will have to admit I have three bikes that I have been collecting for parts, dang dont need another project.
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
the trikes look good. chuck looks like you could put a yak or canoe trailer behind it. I guess the one that is enclosed you could ride in the rain ? KJ I thought geezers wanted to go slow? I guess a geezer any more? :lol: :mrgreen:

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Hey Chuck, how is the bicycle going. You only have 3 more weeks to train before Tour de France. I train each day for the Tour de Goodwood, that where my favorite lunch grill is.
I am not sure about Florida, but in Louisiana it has turned into summer. It is OK when riding, but a stop at a red light and the sweat gets all in my eyes.
Hope you are having fun.
Dan

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Our folding bikes, unlike some available, are full sized. They look and ride like real bikes. All the recumbant bikes I've seen are merely slow toys. I've seen pictures of bikes with riders on their stomaches, that are supposed to be fast. They're nothing any geezer on here would have much interest in. Unless it had a Sweedish gymnast named Bambii on it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep ,Summer has been here a while and is making itself known , 90's during the day with cooling rains in the evenings.
Stop by a Lowe's Store and locate a Enduracool instant cooling towel. You get it wet , wring it out and then give it a snap and put it around your neck to cool down. It does it by evaporation and will offer some cooling for a couple of hours.
It's made by MISSIONATHLETECARE.COM . The wife and I use the old standard one's we got from last year.

There web site of products.......... http://www.missionathletecare.com/
Web_Product_Shots_1_large.jpg

Doing better , legs are getting into shape and I can go further each day before the hurt starts.
The seat is getting more comfortable or my rear is getting number , not sure which. :lol: Checked at one of the bike shops today and the owner told me I could try a different seat and if I was not happy with it there is a 39 day trial period in which it can be returned and exchanged for a different one.
I explained that I would like to try this one a few more days and see if it gets better and if not then I will make an exchange.

Dug around on the web and found a bag I like so I placed an order for it , The Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP Bicycle Trunk Bag with Rigid Molded Panels. The top of the bag is expandable and the sides drop down to make panniers for more storage.

Good for Grocery Store runs is what I told the wife , What was really in the back of my head.......

I think there would be enough room in the bag combination for a hammock , bug net , tarp and mattress to do some camping by bike , civilized style. That is by going to Lake Mills County Park about 2 miles ( South ) from the house and camp in the primitive section by Lake Mills and using the bike to get there , all paved roads and paths to get there.
The one hammock weighs 7 ounces and packs up the size of a orange and all the rest of the stuff , each one is a water bottle size or smaller.
I have all summer to figure things out plus there is the Flagler Trail here by the house and it joins the Florida Trail which crosses the Econlockhatchee River 2 -1/2 miles ( North ) from the house and is a wilderness area.

Chuck......

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Thanks for the tip on the cool towel. I will try to find me one of those. Seems that it will be good for the Kayak also. The paddling doesn't work me like the peddling does, but it is without the steady wind in the face.

Last year when I first started, I thought that I wanted the widest/softest seat that I could find. I also thought that I wanted to sit upright with the high handlebars like the Schwinn delivery bike I delivered papers on as a young-un. But both changed. As I got stronger, I felt more comfortable with my upper body weight more over the pedals. So the bars got lower and the seat started to rub me raw, so it began to get more narrow. Now I have cyclocross drop bars and a leather (i slide around to much on the Synthetic) "selle italia flite" called the 1990 original. Just the bones rest on the saddle.

My trunk bag is not nearly as nice as yours, just a EBay item. But it has room for the flat fixing stuff and the hammock/fly/net. I also have a bungy cord on it for more bulky items. Plenty of web information on bicycle camping. Some folks have done every continent the world.

I have a friend from New Orleans named Denis who is in Alaska now solo camping out of a Kayak. He goes each year and has a blog going, if your interested in big water travel. His kayak is not home built, so I am not very interested.
Have a great day.
Dan

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dan
Post his blog address if you will.
Jack this want be the first time we have disagreed or the last probably.
I like the comfort ,but doesnt go numb and you dont get as sore butt , 75 to a hundred plus miles an day with full camping gear is about normal and that is fast enough for me.
We will see after I get mine.
Might get in shape if I paddled one day and biked the next.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was reading where the noseless saddle is suppose to be really comfortable since it does not press against the blood vessels and nerves on the inside of the legs at the crotch.
The noseless ones are the wider part of the normal saddle with the longer part missing , some are even divided and you can adjust the width of the separation.

Noseless ...............
313v5EgM1TL._AA160_.jpg

Split design ...........
images

Back to the normal style of seat...........

Personally I did a NO NO and angled the seat down a little in the front so it is not level with the road like they say it is suppose to be. That made it conform better and got rid of a lot of the pressure and pain it caused. The way they had it before then , level , after a while it ( The front of the seat ) felt like I was sitting on the center member of a 2 x 4 sawhorse's center cross part ( narrow part ) .

Like anything else it is a matter of trying this and adjusting that and doing this or that till you find that right spot where everything is just right. In the meantime you are exercising and getting out and about while getting everything adjusted and fit.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Nope ,have you on yours
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
Go down and click on trikes there is some good reading about what kind of load they carry and speeds and miles covered, we are talking thousands of miles.
Now with all due respect Jack I think I will go with what there opinions are over yours are mine.
Have a nice day
Ron

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Here ya go Ron. I saw his girlfriend Sunday, and she said that Saturday he was scheduled for 7 hours paddling, but had only done 1 hour. Either wind,seas,rain or all of the above. She will speak to him this week.

Here is a real time link to Denis' paddle of Prince William Sound - select the Satellite button at the top right of the screen to get a true perspective of the terrain.

http://skapws.blogspot.com/

Sea Kayaking Alaska's Prince William Sound
skapws.blogspot.com
A blog about Sea Kayaking Alaska's Prince William Sound.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Nope, never claimed to. I ride no more than 15 miles at a day. And, I mske sure there's a coffee shop or restsurant somewhere on that route. I ride to enjoy, not to endure.

When I look at their pictures, they were riding real bikes, not recumbent. Maybe I missed something.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
You have me confused :shock: This statement ( I ride no more than 15 miles at a day. And, I mske sure there's a coffee shop or restsurant somewhere on that route. I ride to enjoy, not to endure.) If that is true why is speed of bikes so important to you?
I think you did miss what I was talking about on the link I posted, if you go down the left side of the page there is a section (
Journals by Category) go down and click on Trikes ,there are 258 journals listed ,oh and they have pics also but they are all written by folks riding trikes
Chuck
There is a ton of information on bike camping and gear on that website.

Maybe a little background will help in this discussion. I own two bikes ,one a road bike ,a hand me down from my sil, and a mountain bike that has full suspension.Oh my longest ride was a 50 miler with a bike group I love to ride both of these bikes ,BUT because of a injury where I lost the muscle from my knee to the inside of my groin puts more pressure on my butt than I like and an illness that I aquired my balance isnt what it use to be,plus we dont bounce like we use to if you take a spill.
They have found that riding a bike with a high spin rate is supposed to help the symptoms of my condition , a recumbent tadpole trike seems to put less pressure on the arms back butt neck than a conventional bike (Jacks real bike) They are just plain comfortable, you dont need padded cloths,there very easy on and off and they fit my physical needs . Jack I have to agree with you about the two wheel recumbents ,now they would not suite my needs at all.
Dan
Thanks for the link.
Ron
I think it would be pretty cool to take the Travel trailer a trike and a kayak and just travel around doing different trails and waters. Boy a man could get sorry doing that

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
I'm with Dan regarding saddle choice. My rides are typically minimum of 25 miles, and I use a thinner saddle than his. It does has a shallow groove down the center for a little relief. The sit bones really do all the work and I have found a firm saddle causes less pressure since there is no extra material to get bunched up in your tender areas.

The disclaimer here is I've been cycling for 20+ years and it takes a lot of time in different saddles to realize which is best for you. My wife and I did RAGBRAI a few years ago and I found my sit bones only bothered me for the first 2-3 miles each day, then I forgot about them. That was approximately 460 miles covered in 7 days and 100's of beers. It's like Mardi Gras on two wheels. We rode the whole course because it was our first time. If we go back we'd likely ride half the distance each day and sag the rest, so we can have 200 beers! http://ragbrai.com/about/

Back to the saddle issue, I think the key is be open to change, but make sure you give a sufficient test period to know what you are looking for on the next one.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Tom, you may want to come to Michigan and ride the run from Lansing to the Mackinac Bridge at the straits over Labor Day weekend. By the time they return, it will cover 425-450 miles. Lots of riders stopping in at the coffee shop I go to whilst they train.

I bought a Brooks England leather seat to try. It will form to the sit bones (and, maybe other parts too?) I plan to soak it a bit in hot water before I ride it the first time, and ride it dry. That day may be more than 15 miles AARRGGHH!!