My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item. | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
texastom said:
Back to the saddle issue, I think the key is be open to change, but make sure you give a sufficient test period to know what you are looking for on the next one.

You have a point there , this morning I took out and the 1st two blocks it was squirming around for a bit and then everything fell into place. The rest of the ride was nice and the saddle felt good resting/sitting on it or my butt might of hit it's top level of numbness , not sure which but it was a nice ride. At the end and home everything felt good , no aches or pains. The seat was actually comfortable. :D
Extending the distance a little more each day.

Explaining my philosophy about how to do things ............... A white hunter walked up on this Pygmy who had just killed an Elephant and was eating a part of it. The white hunter asked the Pygmy if he was going to eat the whole Elephant and he said "Yes ". The white hunter could not figure out how that little Pygmy was going to eat all of that huge Elephant so he asked him. How are you going to eat the whole Elephant. The Pygmy smiles and looked at him then replied ..... " One Bite at a Time " :wink:

It appears it is just a matter of getting use to it and either breaking in the saddle or the persons rear end or a happy combination of both. :lol:

Ron..........

Yep , I have been having a good time going threw the link you furnished and all the different listings on there. :D

Chuck.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
"Extending the distance a little more each day. "
Perfect!
Glad the seat is feeling better. Another thing to remember is as your body tones up, the position on the bike will change. I continued to change seats and handlebars for 6 months of every day riding. It had been 45 years since I had used a bicycle. Me and the bike had to go through changes.

Some times peddling is better than paddling. When paddling, you seldom pass a field of ripe tomatoes. BLT on the menu tonight.
Dan

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
And soon . . . . . sweet corn!

"O" Man have we had the corn , the Zelwood Sweet Corn has been in for a good month and it is like candy on the cob. Husk it out and microwave it or better yet soak it in a washtub of ice water with the husk on and then put it on the grill for 5 or so minutes.
Cookouts we would get a bushel and soak them before grilling them during a shift party.
Take the corn off the grill and fold the husk backwards to make a handle out of it ( WITHOUT BURNING YOUR HANDS ) . Then dip it in a large can of melted butter to butter the corn. :D

We use to have Tomatoes around here but for some reason they have stopped raising them , all the Tomato farms are in South Florida now days. It stopped the good day's when a person could stop and get one for a snack right at the farm. A Tomato right off the vine and eaten on the spot is darn good.

Thinking about it same with Watermelons and Cantaloupes ( Musk Melons ) , no more around here all to the south.
We do have several of the "U" Pick fields of Strawberries and Blue Berries when they are in season.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Kayak Jack said:
Tom, you may want to come to Michigan and ride the run from Lansing to the Mackinac Bridge at the straits over Labor Day weekend. quote]

Jack - That looks like a fun ride, but Labor Day in TX means opening of Dove season, and that's an event that can't be missed.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dove season there, may be like deer season there. National holiday, and I'd miss school for a few days around 15-25 November. (Practicing my cough and sneezes already, so I'm able to miss school for ilness.)

Hack, hack, cough!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck I know I'm a dummy but got to ask what does the ice water do to the corn first before grilling? yea when I was coming up as a boy used to help in the tobacco fields. they would have tomatoes planted In some of the rows. we used to pick them right there and eat. they were good when you were hot and hungry. we have a local farm here we get some every year they are good. they have the growing down to an art.
all that bicycle talk got me thinking about getting one. they have changed my job role at work from pulling on wrenches to more desk and paper work so when your not as active you know what happens. I have put on about 10 or 15 pounds lately :(

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
chuck I know I'm a dummy but got to ask what does the ice water do to the corn first before grilling? :(

Catfish..........
I have been told ....It freshens the corn with the ice water and then on the grill It steams it to a degree keeping a lot of the moisture in the kernels. Plus , I think it really keeps a person from overcooking the corn. :D

Chuck.
PS. Congratulations on your new job description.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My understanding of the effects of cold water on corn is the same as Chuck's. I suppose, to test it, we could leave an ear unsoaked and grill it alongside the soaked ones. I'll eat it, and 2 or 3 of your others, and write you a report. ;-)

Bob, try spraying the tomatoes with a mix of water & Fels Naptha soap? Set half a bucket of water on the camp stove, warm it up, shave a half bar of soap into it. Stir, put some into a spray bottle. HINT: wash the tomatoes before eating.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The way I have been told to do it was put in boiling water for 30 seconds (Blanching) the go straight to ice water.
Our dove season here in TX starts Sept the first normally ,I havent hunted for them in a few years because the bow season in Colo starts at the same time. I do get to eat a few birds but they are grouse we kill when hunting in Colo.
Ron
The white wing have come in in the last few years and you very seldom see a morning dove anymore. Also the ringneck or asian doves are here and you can hunt them year round by any means and no limit.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck and jack never thought of it like that but it makes sense with the steaming part. jack I will get chuck to let you when we are grilling some. :lol: :mrgreen: chuck I miss the millwright work directly but the desk work is easier on my geezer bones and sure is a lot cooler right now. :D still involved in a lot of the planner and over seeing part.

Ron I know we not in a fly zone but we don't have many of the passenger doves either. never seen any of the ones your talking about. we don.t be careful sparky gona scold us were getting off course. :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
For a moment, back to bikes. Julie and I did a six miler yesterday. Rode to the grocery store for 3 gallons of milk, etc. Felt good, but Julie's seat wasn't too comfortable. More today.

Had the Cardiologist yesterday for my checkup. Told him what I am up to and that when folks stated Backpacking they called them A Tenderfoot so starting to ride a bike again I referred to myself as a Tender-Bottom. He just laughed ( he rides a bike ) and told me things get better the more you ride and I have to agree with him things are getting better so tell Julie to hang in there. :D

There is a guy living around here that has one of these on his bike and I see him at the grocery store all the time. He rides his bike there , then after shopping he loads the trailer with the groceries and peddles home with the days goodies.

It's a cargo trailer for a bike and his is in Yellow.
adventure-cargo-trailer.jpg

Chuck.
I Googled cargo trailers for bicycles and there is a whole slew of them out there. :shock:

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Chuck, I friend of mine has the same rack system you have. He found an extra "slide" adapter and made a flat bed type box for his grocery trip. You could build a stripper version in no time. Looks something like this, but without the support legs. It uses the existing Topeak base for support.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I found this picture at .... http://www.bikeshophub.com/deliver-anyt ... e-trailer/

Saw it and instantly thought of Ron and his recumbent bike with a travel trailer and not knowing if he should Paddle or Peddle as he wonders around the country.
They have it made , the recumbent built for two , the canoe ( YES , It appears to be a WOOD CANOE ) :D a travel trailer and if you look close even a couple of normal bikes and two spare engines sitting on the top of the travel trailer. :roll:

moving-by-bike-trailer.jpg

Chuck.