Clicky

My Strip Pirogue

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hi, Seedtick, always good to hear from you. Boats built with sides of different thicknesses could have different needs. But if no thwarts works, press on. You're probably a lot better balanced than I am. Shucks, I can manage a stumble on a flat, gym floor.

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
" pirogues usually have thwarts made if wood"

None of the ones I made had Thwarts.
I did have a series of three ribs in them spaced out equally on the hull and sides. My pirogues were made from 1/8th inch wood so the ribs offered the necessary support and it was the way they were designed.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack
I understand your point about thwarts. I did not want to add them because they would probably be a trip hazard for me. I prefer an uncluttered interior. After adding the glass to the inside, the boat became stiff/strong enough for my usage (no white watering in Louisiana). The extra glass was added to the floor to stiffen it. There was no issue with side flex. I think the laddered gunnels were strong enough to eliminate the need for side ribs or thwarts.
Built in seats and/or divided compartments in a pirogue act as thwarts. I like tumblehome sides to stiffen the boat. So many factors to consider when picking design features. Maximum strength may give way to "strong enough" to gain a more useful feature.

beekeeper