New build - first build | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

New build - first build

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Cold weather put progress to a slow crawl. Now that the weather is warming up I will try to get some more done. Last weekend I was able to get both filleted and a 2nd coat of resin on the outside of the 2nd boat. I am planning to apply the 3rd coat on the 2nd one tomorrow and then start cleaning up the fillets so I can start glassing the insides.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Started glassing the inside of boat #1. So far only the first two sections are covered on boat #1. While waiting for it to warm up today, I sanded and removed left over masking tape from boat #2's fillets. Still have a little more to sand but should be ready soon. Now only have to wait on my new order of resin and hardner to finish both boats. Cant wait for weather to really warm up so I can get these babies finished and on the water!!!

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Finally got some time to work on the boats today. This past week I was able to finish glassing the inside of boat #1. Today I began cutting out the inner gunnels and spacers. Only had enough clamps to complete one side. Will glue on the others tomorrow. Also cut out the bulkheads to close in the front and rear compartments. Tomorrow I will splice together some pieces to make up the decks. Those pieces have some nice spalting to them which should look pretty impressive once glassed. Hope the weather keeps cooperating so I can get these finished. Will try to get some updated pictures tomorrow.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Never enough clamps. I've got a bucket full of the darn things, but when it is time to do something like a rubrail, I'm always short two or three.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Here are a couple of pics from glueing the first set of gunnels to boat #1. As we all know, there are never enough clamps around and I didnt have any drywall screws long enough to screw each spacer down. Looks like I will have to work on them throughout the week.
gunnelsboat1.jpg

gunnelsboat1b.jpg

While I was waiting for these spacers to set, I began glassing the inside of boat #2.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Got the other side gunnels glued and clamped on this week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend so I can try to install the bulkheads and deck. Amazing how just adding these makes the boat look even more ready for the water!! Can't wait to get her wet and slimed with the first fish!!!

gunnelsboat12ndset.jpg

gunnelsboat12ndset2.jpg

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Installed the bulkheads on boat 1 today after work. Instead of using wood dust for my filler, I had chopped up a bunch of fiberglass scraps from work and stirred them into the resin. It sure thickened the resin alot faster than just the wood dust.

bulkhead1.jpg

bulkhead2.jpg

The bulkheads are made from 1/2" sandply leftovers from some previous projects.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
How finely chopped was the fiberglass that you used for thickening? I picture it being hard to smooth with the fibers in it...?

Your boats look a lot like boats. Which is something I always find encouraging when I build one. :D I like the spacered inwales. I haven't ever done that on one of mine, but it is a sharp look when done well.

george

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
The chopped fiberglass was 1/8th " to 1/4" pieces. Yes it was alot harder to smooth out as well. It had started cooling off this evening when I was doing it so the resin really felt like trying to spread peanut butter. I am interested to see what it looks like when it sets off and hardens and then after i sand it smooth. I did like how the resin didnt run once I got it in place. I also got a nice complement from my wife when she looked at them tonight as well. :wink: I can't wait until I can finally get them painted and rigged out and put into the water.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I once took a tour of the Ranger Boat factory in Flippin, AR

They build their boats with chopped fiberglass and after spraying the mold the fibers stand up like a punk rocker's haircut. Anyway they use rubber/plastic rollers to smooth down the fibers. Didn't think much about it at the time but i reckon that's better than trying to drag something across the fibers to smooth them out

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
I was afraid of that happening once the resin had hardened. I was pleasently suprised this morning when I checked them on my way to work and saw they had stayed down. I think it has more to do with the way the chopping gun throws the resin and chopped glass together. It will take alittle elbow grease to sand the excess smooth but both bulkheads are in solid as a rock, ready for the decks to top them.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Today I was able to get the first deck glued on. Used more of the chopped glass in the resin. Still hard to smooth out but sure sands quickly. First couple of pictures show the deck glued in place with weights on top.

SDC10692.jpg

SDC10693.jpg

The next couple of pictures show the deck later in the day when I trimmed the excess away and rounded the edges and filled in the voids from the initial glue up.[

SDC10694.jpg

SDC10695.jpg

Todays final pic shows the boat minus the 2nd deck, glass and resin to completely encapsulate the rest of the bare wood.

SDC10696.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a LOT of weight on there. I hope you didn't work to glue starve the joints. I recommend you see if the deck will peel off by mere hand pressure. If it will, lots better to find out in your driveway than on the water.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
No problems with the weights on top of the deck. The deck didnt have a pefect, flat fit on top of the rails. I buttered the edge of the rails with thickened resin, weighted it down and clamped it with a couple of web straps. The left over resin I then pressed into the opening along the edge, buttering them just like a mason would when setting blocks or bricks for a wall or foundation. Once that was dried, sanded the edges round and touched up any needed areas. Today I have just covered the first deck with glass and am now waiting for it to dry along with the 2nd deck. A little later I will trim the excess off of it and get it ready for glassing as well.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Here is a picture from today when I was ready to fill the gap between the outer rail and the deck.

SDC10697.jpg

SDC10698.jpg

Next are a couple of pictures after I had applied the thickened resin to the gaps.

SDC10702.jpg

SDC10702.jpg

Once the gaps were filled, I applied a soaking coat of resin to the 2nd deck.

SDC10701.jpg

Later this week, I will sand those edges smooth and round the top edge in preparation for glassing. Here is a picture of the first deck, glassed and 2 coats of resin.
SDC10700.jpg

SDC10704.jpg