New Carry Gun | SouthernPaddler.com

New Carry Gun

islandpiper

I just got my new KelTec P-32.......not a really big hole-punch, but one that won't be left home for reasons of convenience......and a .32 in the pocket is worth a ton of .45's home in the sock drawer.

I'll try to get out to the range next week and report on how it works out.

Piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
Good choice. The Kel tec also comes in.380. The difference in size is hardly noticable. Regular sized guns are more difficult to hide and are not very comfortable to carry. So they wind up getting left behind. The little Kel Tec will probally always be with you. I have not heard anyhing bad about it. Just don't carry anything in the pocket you carry the gun in exept for the gun. Shoot it a bunch and get thorghly used to it.
Have fun and be safe.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I carried a little Colt .25 auto in Nam. Used it to teach English to taxi drivers. If they pretended to not understand, did course reversals, went off track, etc. - I'd pull back the slide and let it ram home. All of a sudden, they could speak English!

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Jack,
Never rode in a taxi in Nam. Saw some when I went on a 3 day in country R&R. Did not have fun. Too crowded. Was glad to get back out in the field. Them folk had some pretty thick woods over there.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thick woods and only five kinds of snakes. Four of'em are fatal, and the fifth one eats you whole.

Ranch Hand (defoliation w/ Agent Orange stuff) was on the ramp tight next to us at Tan Son Nhut. Nice guys; I wonder if any of them are alive yet?

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Any updates on how you got along with this little gun? I had a chance to hold one( the P3AT in .380) the other day. Thinking the same thing. That it was small enough that it wouldn't be left behind when needed. I found that I had to almost let loose of it after drawing to get my finger on the trigger. Just too small. Picked up the PF9 and that felt allot better, although. Thats probably not a pistol one can stick in your shorts....
Used to be I didn't have these worries. Lived in the woods and any problems could be handled via 12 Ga. Folks in the city just don't seem to be comfortable with a shotgun in the back window! > Hmmmm....

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I like Rugers. I turnt ta wheel guns cuz me'n machines dont geehaw. Jest like one boat dont fit all waters, these little pistols got some trade offs too. Any gun aint better'n no gun. If ya stand yer ground 'n count on yer pistol, but it jams......ya coulda been runnin'.....'er lookin' fer a big stick. It there wuz a real Tower of Babble, it come frum folks arguin' over the stoppin' power of various shootin' irons. Sometimes they fergit there iz a line where ya leave the gun behind cuz of the size 'n weight.

North American Arms makes a .22 magnum that looks ta me ta be the big daddy, dip dog, funky monkey of trade offs. It dont jam. I caint imagine how deaf it would make everbody inside a room, but deaf beats dead any day 'n twice on Sunday. :wink:

Chuck, I swear I aint fishin', but there iz a heap a different loads 'n lead too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do. Unknown high school student

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
North American Arms makes a .22 magnum that looks ta me ta be the big daddy, dip dog, funky monkey of trade offs. It dont jam. I caint imagine how deaf it would make everbody inside a room, but deaf beats dead any day 'n twice on Sunday. :wink:

Chuck, I swear I aint fishin', but there iz a heap a different loads 'n lead too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

I got rid of my North American Arms 22 mag , traded it for a Walther PPK's in stainless and 380. Yes .. It is larger but it is something that fits in my hand , well known manufacture and a good reputation as a all round handgun. Smith & Wesson is making them today , again a manufacture I have a lot of faith in.
Carried there model 66 , 4 inch barrel , 357 for over 20 years at work , hated it when they switched over to the Sig 9 mm ones.

If you dig around on the web , I did , and I located a holster that fits the Walther and the whole package fits inside my front pocket. The holster holds the Walther in a upright (ready) position and all you do is slip your hand in your pocket and out comes the pistol , the holster stays there till you take it out.
This way the pistol is not laying in the bottom of the pocket or upside down in there plus it removes the classic pistol shaped pocket silhouette.

North American Arms is a 5 shot using there safety notch for the hammer , 4 with the hammer on a empty chamber. After that 4th shot , you have to take it apart to reload , a bad thing in you are in a hot spot.
The Walther is 7 shots or 8 with one in the chamber , with a spare Magazine of 7 more , I carry 6 in each. Plus reloading is a lot faster.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
As Bad as I hate to I have to agree with Bear
Auto pistols are not on my carry list like to play with them but when my butt is on the line I want reliability and that's where the wheel guns shine.
Pros for autos
Flat an easy carry (Ok that didn't take long)

Cons
Less accurate anything that has a moving barrel starts wearing with the first shot .
Two hands to clear a jam( wheel gun just pull the trigger again)
Two hands to reload (can load one handed on revolver if have to)
Harder to shoot( trigger can be a lot smoother and lighter on a W G)
Needs a lot more care Cleaning and such to operate right

These are just a few of my reasons that a wheel that goes round is better
In a small frame the 38 is hard to beat if I am really serious a 41 mag is my choice.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Bro. Bear,
Just sold one of those North American
22 revolvers at my store today. It swung up out of the holster and the holster was then the grip. Something to hold on to. When its folded into the holster and in your pocket you can't tell there is a gun in there. Same guy also bought a Smith 686 with a 8 3/8" bbl. One extreme to the other.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bob,

Miz Bear totes a NAA. My mechanic 'n fishin' pal totes one in hiz Leatherman holster. I tote a SP-101 in a pocket holster like the High Sheriff's 'er on my hip fer all ta see.......like decent folk. :wink:

regards
bearridge

It's an old habit. I spent my life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless, but not men. Don Corleone

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I have two S&W 41 Mag wheel guns. One with a 8 3/8" barrel and one with a 4" barrel. Both have very light single action trigger pulls and the 4 incher has one of the smoothest double action pulls you will ever find on a revolver. I'd still like something like the little 380 Ruger for toting around and would prefer that to the NAA 22 Mag.

Jimmy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Wannabe said:
If ya got it, flaunt it and Hairy's maggot types 'll leave ya be. Is that the ticket, Bear?
Friend Bob,

I know it iz anuther two sided coin, but out front where everbody kin see it strikes me az the honorable way ta tote a gun. A license ta tote a secret one dont bother me......long az it dont take too much dough 'er have too many hoops. That aint fer the vilage idiot, little pardners 'er crooks.

Mick, up in Canada they been on the road ya'll been on, but I hear most of the Canucks jest ignore the registerin' laws. Ever year the guviment sees they aint registered 'n gives 'em one more year. Mebbe they seen what happened ta ya'll?

Once upon a time I shot a BSA.....very smooth. The fella who tuned my Beemans iz a big friend of BSA over here. There wuz a time when I looked at two of 'em, one quiet low power, the other round 900 fps. At the time I knew why I turnt ta the Beeman. I wuz workin', savin' up my dough so I kin quit 'n enjoy the high life......the BSA wuz likely a bit more. Tom may recall. Heck. What am I sayin'! While hiz airgun memory iz sharp az the chamber on a Chinese side cocker, a lotta cfs haz passed under the bridge. It wuz back durin' the Starling War, when they tried ta take our house. 2000, 2001....mebbe 2002? Ever seen the movie "Zulu"? :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Mick, I dont figger they are gwine ta git our guns. The first thing our country learned wuz not ta trust guviment 'n ta keep yer gun handy. Hmmmm......we also learned how taxation wuz bad. :?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. Patrick Henry

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I know it iz anuther two sided coin, but out front where everbody kin see it strikes me az the honorable way ta tote a gun. A license ta tote a secret one dont bother me......long az it dont take too much dough 'er have too many hoops. That aint fer the vilage idiot, little pardners 'er crooks.

regards
bearridge

Out front so everyone can see it is OK , I Guess. Most if not all police departments mandate that is is covered and not exposed to the general public , especially off duty weapons.
Since I'm talking to bear I better explain that uniformed officers are an exception to that rule especially when in uniform. :roll:

Personally I prefer to have it ducked someplace , in a pocket , the small of my back , side holster (form and tight fitting so there is no bulge ) or a shoulder holster with clothing over it.

By concealing it you do not draw the stares , pointed fingers , gasps , scowls , nasty looks and off the wall comments from the general public. This is a case of what they don't know doesn't bother them.
Then there are the bleeding heart pacifists who panic at the sight of a weapon and think it is going to kill everyone in the 5 mile area and that you are a hit man for the mob. :lol:

I'll stick with the out of sight out of ( there ) mind........ Case in point..

A buddy of mine with the Marshals Office walked into a bank and stood in line , the guy in front of him checked him out and dismissed any thought about him. Probable thinking he was a harmless cracker or red neck after some beer money. :lol:

The guy got to the tellers window and pulled a pistol , demanding all the cash. Needless to say he was surprised when some cold steel touched the back of his neck and he heard the words ... Federal Marshall , drop your weapon.

Before you ask , YES.. He did make sure the guy was working alone and not with someone else before taking any action. Plus he would of pulled the trigger with no worries or hesitation , none at all.

Chuck.

dawallace45

I've always been fond of pocket pistols and small revolvers and over the years I've had quite a few , but the ones that stand out have been the S&W 36 and 60 , lovely little revolvers , of the centre fire pocket pistols I've owned or shot the very best for reliability has been the Browning 1910 in .32ACP and my standard of reliability is very high but I put through over 2000 rounds of mixed factory and reloads in that little gun in a one week period with out cleaning and with out a single problem of any kind

The great bulk of that ammunition was ex-bank ammo well over 40 years old and had been set aside to be dumped , luckily the guy set to dump it was a keen shooter and a friend of mine , the only drawback with the Browning 1910 is that it's relatively heavy for it's size , the sights are quite small and hard to use but made that way as not to snag up on clothing , if you can master the heavy trigger the pistol is capable of extremely good accuracy [ 1 1/2" at 25 metres ] with practice keeping all your shots in the A zone at 60 metres was quite possible , although unless you were keen enough to do that level of practice most people found it hard to keep all their shots on a IPSC target at 12 metres

But the very best pocket pistol I've had was a Beretta 71 in .22 Long Rifle , I bought that gun second hand in 1997 for $75 and it come with the box and the original box of ammo the guy had bought with it , he had shot 8 rounds from that gun in 20 years , it was perfect in every way , alloy frame , slim , with a pancake holster it just moulded against you , strong side carry , small of back , cross draw , I made my holster so it was fine for all those positions and the little pistol was invisible under a tee shirt , it was also fine just stuck in the pocket of a pair of jeans , I made a pocket holster that broke up the outline of the gun and made it look like a wallet or some such ,

Now concealed carry is illegal here and I don't do any thing illegal but I also had a side line making holsters for pistol competition , NRA match , IPSC , Service Pistol , Western Action and such but I also did a lot of concealment holsters for police and security guards , actually one of my cheekiest acts was to walk up to a plainclothes policeman and say " your printing , inside , left ankle " and then hand him my business card , got a lot of work from that

But getting back to the Beretta 71 , I put through well over 10,000 rounds in that gun with out a single problem , in the two weeks before the so called pistol buy back I put through over 2000 rounds , it was a lovely little gun , not as accurate as the Browning but a delight to use and easily able to put all 8 rounds into a A zone of a IPSC target at 25 metres , even with my rather large hands it was comfortable to hold , it is definitely my favourite pistol and the one I'd most like to have back , it was just so much fun , I used to put a few hundred rounds through it every week

David

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Ok just curious here. Never had anything to do with guns 'ceptin' for army cadets and 303 Lee Enfield rifles about forty years ago.
When you guys are talking about carrying weapons concealed or otherwise are you talking constantly carrying, or occasionally? If occasionally what makes you decide when to carry?
Not knocking the carrying of weapons, just curious as I've never really been exposed to a culture that views guns as accessories.
Having not grown up with the idea I don't believe I would trust myself to carry one responsibly.

islandpiper

John......."always carry, never tell". I don't carry on Sundays when I am washing the car. I don't carry in schools or the Post Office(legally restricted). Otherwise, figure it is on me.

I'm not the only one who does this. Some of the others are BG's (bad guys).

Old Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared.

Piper