New Smoker | SouthernPaddler.com

New Smoker

islandpiper

oz, you know where I live, bring it over and we can plug it in here. Or, is it propane fired? I have an extra gas bottle here, too.

I think there are some wings and a half a brisket in the freezer. Tell me when you are coming. The Bud's cold already.

piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I did some whole chickens for mothers day...wonderful! Get fresh chickens, preferably ones that havn't been pumped up with preservatives.
The secret is brining. For every gallon of water, mix in a cup of sugar and a cup of kosher or sea salt. You can also substitute some of the water with a few cups of apple juice(wine) or any other juice you like. Keep the chickens submerged in the brining liquid for about 4 hours or so in the fridge. Wash the chickens off with fresh water and pat with a few paper towels. Place them in the smoker and try to maintain a temp somewhere between 200-225 degrees for 6-8 hours. Turn them over halfway thru the cooking time. I always use a thermometer, internal temp should be 165 degrees when thay are done.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bobbie - I can hear those arteries hardening from here.

Avoiding skin and fat of a chicken is pretty easy. Only domestic beef is marbled. All other meats have the fat separated from the meat, the way Mother Nature invented it.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
God has blessed me with a body that processes fat with no problem. That may change one day, but until it does I plan to embrace the joys of fat on my meat. My son has no problem processing fat, but he fust plain don't like it so I get most of his chicken skin. My heart goes out to the folks that have to take meds and still have to be careful of what they eat.

OZ,
Leave them skins on the chicken and I'll handle em fer ya. :lol:
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,
God has blessed me with a body that processes fat with no problem

Me too mate :D 8) 8) 8) I get to eat all Robins chook skin 8) and the fat off her chops, & T bones & bacon. 8) 8) 8) Just love me fat. :D 8)

'l be right over too mate. :D Did someone mention cold Buds? :D 8) 8) 8) Mmmmm beeeeer 8) :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The best part of any bird , when cooked to a golden brown , crispy and flaky, is the skin , the rest is just something to eat. The skin is the treat and the desert before the meal starts.

I have a friend who is a vegetarian and refuses to eat meat but he sure likes his gravy on mashed potatoes :? :? :? . I think he would drink it from a coffee cup if he could and what is gravy.........

Rendered fat , drippings from the cooked meat and skin with some flour and milk , salt , pepper whisked , blended together and heated up. :roll:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

Whatcha smokin'? Frum where I set, if ya pull that chicken skin off before ya cook, the meat will dry out. The breast will taste like somethin' ya mix with glue ta fill in cracks in a homemade boat. Leave it on 'n save it fer yer pals. piper kin bring the cold drinks. I got a big appetite round here somewhere. I'll bring it over. [Wait til the Master of Flow Bizness reads that] :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

It is good to be without vices, but it is not good to be without temptations. Walter Bageho

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Friend Paul,

I got a big appetite round here somewhere. I'll bring it over. [Wait til the Master of Flow Bizness reads that] :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

That ain't .... NO JOKE ... he carries that appetite around in a eighteen wheeler with twin cabs , one a pulling and one a pushing. :lol:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It's electric just got it seasoned last night so today the fun starts. I saw pork back ribs on sale so that is what will be first. I've been hearing about this thing called a fatty made with Italian sausage that you roll out and then add onions mushrooms just about what ever you want. then roll it up and smoke away

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ozark said:
...I've been hearing about this thing called a fatty made with Italian sausage that you roll out and then add onions mushrooms just about what ever you want. then roll it up and smoke away
Don't forget the cayenne pepper! Eating that stuff makes you crave more Dago Red.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Mick,
Are you sure that you ain't a Texican. From evcerything I've read from you, you sure oughta be.
Oz,
You can also make fatties out of Jimmy Dean stuff. Italian ought to be better though. Sure you don't want me to watch your smoker for ya.
Bob

islandpiper

oz, try this sometime. Got to Sam's Club, buy a big pork tenderloin and some good Cajun smoked Sausage. Cut the pork into chunks about the length of the sausage. Poke a hole into the pork end to end and slide a sausage in, possibly with some garlic cloves , and smoke that.

Smoke heavy for an hour or so, then foil wrap, and back into the smoker at about 225 for a couple more hours. Make several and freeze them for the future, wrapped in plastic, not foil (!!!) for the freezer.

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

That sounds mitey good. I'd like ta try it. I dont eat pork tenderloin often, but when I do I like ta make a sauce ta spread over it. Mayo, horseradish 'n dill. Jarvis wet hizself it wuz so good.

regards
bearridge

ps I wonder if a tenderloin would be good smoked inside chicken skins?

Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do. Unknown high school student

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Br'r Bear,

Sam's sells pork lin for less than ribs - by a fair margin. I buy a lot of it - also bonelss/skinless chicken wings.

Chicken skin is good for cooking with gritz, Viennie snausages, and okra. cover the mess with lots of Nuk Mon fish sauce. Toss in some haggis for a real ear-popping treat.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Jack,
I been watchin you. You have a particular talent that you ought to exploit. You are a culinary genius. You should write a cook book with all of your er--special recepes in it. You would probally wind up rich selling them. I won't buy one because I have been writing them all down for my personal use. Keep up the good work. :roll:
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
We;;, Bob, the above is especially helpful if relatives have been overstaying their welcome. works three out of four times.

The hands down winner "relative getter ridder ofer" is to, after the first person finishes dinner, set his plate down for the dog to lick off, and then immediately return the plate to the cupboard.

This works every time, unless you have Floridians in the house. Often gets a reverse effect then.

(Fire in the hole!)