New style hardtop | SouthernPaddler.com

New style hardtop

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
First off, I can only see part of the picture and do not have a scroll bar. With this new format is it set at a certain amount of pixels? I still use Photobucket. But anyway, on the cruiser I am building, I incorporated a liteweight build with white cedar and mahogany feature strip which doubles as a stiffener too for the cedar as the deck beams. The planks are 1/4" x 3 " in width.

DSC05184.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
dang.....holy swirly grain Batman! I hit my apex when I built my own Cub Scout racer, but I got a deep love fer fine lookin' wood. I wanna touch it 'n rub it....drink a cold drink on it.....kinda like a nurse gymnast. [big grin]

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Thanks for looking. I still cannot figure out why only about half of the picture shows for me. I went over to the couple of other threads and the same thing since the new hardware was installed. Oh well.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Oyster said:
Thanks for looking. I still cannot figure out why only about half of the picture shows for me. I went over to the couple of other threads and the same thing since the new hardware was installed. Oh well.

What resolution is your computer screen set at? You probably need to increase it.

Jimmy

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Jimmy W said:
Oyster said:

What resolution is your computer screen set at? You probably need to increase it.

Jimmy

Please elaborate for the benefit of those of us who think that computers run on the "FM" principal.

And no, I ain't talking about frequency modulation, either.

George

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
gbinga said:
Please elaborate for the benefit of those of us who think that computers run on the "FM" principal.

And no, I ain't talking about frequency modulation, either.
George
That photo at the top of this thread is 800 x 600 pixels. If your monitor resolution is set at the same 800 x 600 the photo will take up the entire screen. If the resolution was set at say 640 x 480, the photo would not fit onto the screen. The screen resolution can be set in the Control Panel. With Vista, it would be under Appearance and Personalization. With XP, it would be under Display Properties if I still remember correctly.
I happen to be using a 22" monitor set at 1680 x 1050, so the photo only takes up about 1/2 the width of my screen.

Jimmy

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Thanks, I have updated photos but even with downsizing, they will only show up about half. Its come a long ways and have logged the build on another site. If anyone is interested, pm me and I will pass along a link as I would not want to soil this nice one. :wink:

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I sent you the links. Let me try again as I have resized the pictures in house. I also foam cored the trunk including the middle section which also doubles as insulation along with strength, installing a wood grid system too which is not shown but in the beginning.
This will get trimmed out and a hatch installed. The colors are a bit different simply because of the angle that the shot is taken even though all the wood is out of the same planking of white cedar with minwax Helmsman varnish satin finish.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Kayak Jack said:
Gonna take at least two paddlers to move that boat!
The two paddlers will be paddling two birding kayaks that will rest on the hardtop and extention over part of the cockpit area. When all else fails including the motor heaven forbid, the cabin will act as a sail and will create a crusing sailor. :lol:

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
It is looking good. You need to post some shots of the whole boat over here so that the folks that haven seen the thread at the woodenboat forum can see the rest of it.
Jimmy

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Steve said:
Oyster, I like the sharp look of that cruiser. Where did the design come from? Looks like a great project and you are doing some great woodwork on her.
Actually the boat is like no other boat, but a combination of middle of the night thoughts while rolling around in the bed on one of those sleepless nights. The boat has evolved to a shallow water cruising boat with what amounts to a Chesepeake Deadrise bottom. The boat is lapstrake which can also be built liter weight too. The only glass is a composite plywood bottom with a grid system of tape and glue. There are no plans for the boat and I probably would never suggest combining a lot of the mehods together unless it would be for the right guy that does not just use or need a boat with a wash and wear mentality.

Jimmy, I really hesitate consuming a lot of bandwidth on this forum which primarily caters to smarter folks too and hesitate sending folks to that den of cattails and sand spurs for the most part. :twisted: But like I stated earlier, I will provide the links to anyone that pms me at their own peril. :p