New style hardtop | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

New style hardtop

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
keith said:
looking good my friend. on bears behalf, where would the paddler(s) sit/stand and type of paddle. Later keith
Well sometimes paddles are actually used in a manner that are not always noted in their sales brochures but carried on board in power boats. But FWIW, I have never seen a boat that could not be rowed , I have not yet found the proper placement right now and hope that the only one needed will be to fend off the big moquitos that we experience or kayakers seeking shelter from them. :wink: :lol:
hot_rod_688.jpg

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I have the exterior all roughed in. I used teak capped bulwalks foward for safety. The nice walkaround lets the old folks relax as we go foward.

I am also creating a fishing station in the cockpit with two sinks and lockers and drawers.

I have also trimmed out the cabin edges with teak and plan on varnishing them. The cabinet edges are also radius teak edges. I also used the cedar veneer but will paint of of the exterior wood out with Oyster White topcoat.

mommicked

Nov 18, 2006
Coastal NC
Oyster,

You done any trout fishing lately? Working on any good projects? This weather is enough to get a boy wanting to work out in the shop....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The folks ( picture-processor ) that they were with decides to , delete or remove them ( the JPEG file ) from viewing all the pictures become white colored squares that said IMAGE DELETED so I deleted there message about each one.

Here is what all of them looked like.........
100_1338.jpg

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
In regards to photos gone missing, photobucket did an update about the same time I attempted to change my email address and organize shots into a named album. Don't do that, or either I ain't the smartest lightbulb in the socket. I finally said screw it and started over once again in another section with a title for an album, if that makes any sense. But anyway the boat provided a good two seasons even though the past year found us taking care of elderly parent and did not get on the water but five times. But anyway Momicked hope you are doing okay this winter. My newest project is a laminated cedar planked fishing hull in an attempt to clean out some old wood from the wood bin. This is part of the latest but has moved past to almost finishing the final layer.

DSC00763.jpg

mommicked

Nov 18, 2006
Coastal NC
Kayak Jack said:
Interesting lines on that hull.
That's a Carolina Sportfisherman. Hatteras Yachts, Egg Harbor, and a lot of those other High End yachts like that have borrowed those lines from boats from the lower NC Outer Banks. We're kinda proud of 'em. Jarret Bay builds a good one, Parker Boat works (similar lines smaller hull) is here, and Southern Skimmer and Carolina Skiff all have ties back to this area. Back 100 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for a boat builder here on the NC coast to build a shallow draft 2 mast schooner in the 60' range, sail her out the shallow sounds and inlets, and down to the Carribean to trade! Rum was often brought home.... :mrgreen:

Oyster,
You still working Down East?

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
The boat is a slight alteration of many of the extreme sportfishing hulls in the area of the pancake decks thats common these days. The bow is fuller allowing for more fishing room on deck not withstanding more bottom foward for down sea running too. The added running and reverse strakes also will give it some lift that otherwise would be missing for the more pointed bow which in turn creates a sharper vee in the bottom panels. But anyway Mommicked that was just a temporary help gig for the guy to get him past the hump of figuring out the rails and decking layout.. His boat did not come with any additional help and plans even though the fellow cut him the basic jig with a CNC from lines taken from the Bayshore or Chaos 16' that went defunk.

By the way the boat gets a built in engine bracket and swim platform complete with a teak transom too, somthing that you will probably never see on any of these style boats built down along the banks both south or even in the northern regions either.

DSC00766.jpg