NorthWind Finally..... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

NorthWind Finally.....

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Just a quick update on the boat. I did not make any progress on the boat over the long weekend, my wifes little Brother passed away unexpectedly Friday. he was only 33 years old so please say a Prayer for the family.
Thanks,
Darrell

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Well I had a little time to work on the stripper. Finished stripping the hull this afternoon.

phone070.jpg

phone072.jpg

phone076.jpg

northwind104021.jpg

It was still early so I decided to give the boat a rough sanding, just to get an idea what it is going to look like.

northwind104020.jpg

northwind104024.jpg

northwind104022.jpg

I am really liking the shape of the hull.

northwind104023.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Kayak Jack said:
You have done a very credible job of getting rounded surfaces, nothing to grab wind or wave. How did you decide to change the orientation of the strips near the bottom? By formula? Or by eye?

I got to that point and said let's change directions and see what happens. Really

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Seems to have worked. Have you ever seen or paddled beside a Kruger Sea Wind? They'll walk off and leave a kayak or standard canoe. A tandem racing canoe would probably beat them, but a Sea Wind will carry nearly a half ton of cargo. Verlen Kruger paddled UP grand Canyon in the amount of time allotted for paddlers to go downstream. Matt designed the North Wind to be similar to the Sea wind. Beautiful boats, both of them.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Finished sanding the boat this afternoon. I know a lot of people don't care too much about sanding but I kinda like it because as you sand you can start to get an idea of what she is going to look like. I really am liking this boat, may be my best so far.

northwind11611001.jpg

northwind11611002.jpg

northwind11611003.jpg

I also started building the external stems. The Bow was not too bad to get right.

northwind11611004.jpg

The Stern took a little doing and several tries before I got the curve to bend without splintering.

northwind11611006.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Thanks Jack,
I am very happy with this build so far. Matt did a great job on the plans, no problems what so ever. Barring any unforeseen catastrophes I believe this will be my nicest boat to date. Pictures don't do the lines of this boat justice.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Darrell: In regards to your describing the problems with the twist on certain strips and the stems. To overcome that problem I always use a heat gun. Apply the heat to the bend area. Hold the heat gun far enough away that the wood is not scorched, but close enough that the heat penetrates through the wood and the heat changes the celluous material so that it can be bent without splintering. Hold it in place and let it cool. It will retain the new shape and will prevent splintering. I used to use steam to complete such bends but the new heat guns work very well and are so much easier to pinpoint the spot where you want to complete a bend.

Your worksmanship is top notch. And looks like your boat will be excellent.

Do you plan on installing peddles and a rudder? I hope you take pictures of that process.

Dapper Al.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Did'nt get anything done on the boat today. I was tired of not being able to find anything and stumbling over stuff so I spent all day putting stuff up, rearranginging and blowing dust out of the shop.
On another note, the stems are built up and just need some shaping. Hopfully by the next warm spell I will be ready to fiberglass the exterior.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
It was pretty warm today so I got out to the shop and gave her a good soaking with hot water to help close the brad nail holes and any small cracks. I like this stage because this gives a good preview of what she will look like after fiberglass.

Stems are pretty well done, just a little final shaping.

northwind12711017.jpg

Looks pretty good wet down.

northwind12711013.jpg

northwind12711015.jpg

northwind12711018.jpg

northwind12711014.jpg

I will give it a light sanding tomorrow and then a pre-coat of epoxy to seal her.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Beautiful Darrell. You will get lots of compliments from most folks you meet on the water. I get 'em and it's a feelin that can't be beat. "Hey there, nice Kayak. You build it?" "Sure did" "Sure is pretty. You can be proud." "Thanks. I am." That's the way It'll go, I'm sure.

Dapper Al.