Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Jack.

It might work as a coffee table but it is suppose to be an "entry way" bench. A place to remove your shoes and a shelf to store them.
Not sure how it would hold up in modern houses with central A/C and heat. The wood is air dried and probably would separate or split if kept inside. I do have some kiln dried cypress and hope to one day build a coffee table.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack thinks my pirogue seats are too wide and most folks want to sit lower so I built this seat :roll: :

As a chair builder I have a problem with sizing them too large. Even the new owner (neighbor's grandson) of this one will have to grow some. He won't be old enough to sit up for a few months. :D

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Hand made wooden thrones :idea: , hmm? No thanks. I don't think I want to get into that line of work.

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Chuck thought my shop was too organized, so I was working on it and came across this relic and instantly thought—this isn’t an Uncle John’s pirogue seat! You’ve studied the post too much when you think that way!

A lot of years ago our youngest daughter would have lived in her pirogue if we let her. As many of you know the Louisiana swamps often don’t have place to get out on the bank to take a break. This seat with a short plastic bucket in place was the solution to a little girls problem. A seat cushion normally covered the business end of this pirogue seat.

Think I’ll send it to her for Christmas, that will be a surprise!.

Good Fish’n and Merry Christmas

Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Nice looking bench, Grandpa! (The Beekeeper had adopted me as his abomnible grandkid.). Where is Momma Bee gonna use it?

Anywhere she wants to! :lol: She already has one. This one going to another home.

Paw Paw Bee

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My daughter is a member of Macedonia Baptist Church.
IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Because the building is a historical site it is left unlock so visitors may tour it. The piano bench disappeared some time ago and the pianist has been using a vanity bench. It was too short for the antique piano. I was honored to build another one, because my greatgrandfather helped build this building.

I hope to get a picture of it next to the piano, to see if the color matches. Maybe it will be better than what they have. What it is is what it is.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys. It was a is a simple bench, but stressing work, because when building for others,I want them to be pleased. Every time I do a project I learn something. I have never had good results with staining, but this time I used a "pre stain" and did several light coats and that worked much better.

Kayak Jack said:
JD, maybe an 88 key paddle to go along with it? ;-)
I would not know how to make a musical paddle. Maybe Piper would know what kind of wood to use.

beekeeper