OK, JEM...... | Page 11 | SouthernPaddler.com

OK, JEM......

JEM

On the Freedom, is has a partially flat bottom. But the bottom has an "reverse" hour-glass shape (picture a long skinny turnip). Combined with the angle and slight twist of the lower side panels, it has a slicing effect.

The slight V on the Okwata will help keep tracking the same as the longer Freedom.

The slight V will be a little less stable.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Stability , plus the ability to take all of your camping gear (providing you leave your Winnebago on shore , if it is big one :roll:) is what the Freedom offers a person who is looking for some fun.

Different strokes for different folks , all I can say is that I sure like the Freedom ...15.4 model. Now you might hate it because all of us do not like or want to paddle the same boat , this is what keeps the world turning and making life interesting and Matt so busy designing boats for us.:D

Chuck.
PS. Clint .. The best thing you can do is to ask a ton of questions and then when you make your mind up ... build the one you like , no matter what we tell you. After all it will be yours the way you want it , that is why we build them. :D

islandpiper

Man, it has been a long time, a looooonnnngg time since I got to pick on Kayak Jack.......I have had some ISP trouble and waiting 5-10 minutes for CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS to load a simple page is too hard on my blood pressure. On the other had, taking a poke at Jack might be good for my BP.....six of one, half-dozen of the other.

I had heard a rumor that a Hurricane was about to stide the East Lansing, Michigan area. How 'bout it Jack? Snowing outside and a Hurricane in the living room?

Cheers, Piper

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
A bit of a progress update. Looks like this as of today. And I blame Keith for kicking this topic off and selling me the old plans :)
glassed016.jpg

glassed015.jpg

glassed017.jpg

Still have to clean up coaming. Coaming is made of pine "scotia" moulding which hasn't a lot of inherent strength therefore I will add glass under the outside edge and up the inside and over the top of the coaming once its all sanded fair. ( Here's a question for ya) Each segment of coaming is glued on with resin/flour mix and is to be glassed both sides. I used s/s screws to assist in setting up each piece in place: anyone reckon there would be a benefit in removing the screws or not?
Am also considering adding a peg of sorts at each segment joint, down to the deck, to beef it up a bit and they will come in handy to use as a tie off point for assorted tethers for paddle, fishing stuff etc.
Major scrape and sand of hull/deck before, final coat of resin/graphite for sides/bottom and one more coat on deck/sides.
Bit of fiddling with hatches. Gonna try and do away with the need for straps to hold the hatches on. :roll: I didn't say it would work, but who knows. Rudder stuff can wait till some other time. Seat made but not fitted.Its just a basic board supported by a batten shaped to fit inside across the centre joint. It won't be fixed at the back to the hull but wedged with a piece of closed cell foam to allow for movement once my weight gets on it. The hull shape is obviously a shallow v inside and I want the seat to be a slightly ^. Thigh brace cum backband supports to do. Varnish etc.
Cheers John.
Ps the whole thing is a total failure as it was s'posed to weigh 35lbs but already approaching 38 so now probly gonna reach about 42lbs. :roll:

islandpiper

John, you've made my day. What a beautiful boat you and JEM came up with. I'm betting that she'll paddle just as good as she looks. Those plans were just taking up space in my closet for waaaay too long and you have brought Matt's good idea to life. Well done, both of you. piper

JEM

Great pictures!

Regarding the screws, I don't see any harm in leaving them in the coaming. I'd cover with some epoxy to seal any possible moisture path.

There's probably and extreme case argument for removing them but I can't think of any at the moment.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Oh so close now. Since this pic have fitted fish finder and a couple of rod holders, completed painting, varnish. Just a few issues with hatches. To be honest I'm on about the fifth idea :oops: The little buggers will comply! Had a sneaky paddle in it a week or so ago. Temp fixed the hatches with duct tape. This worked so well it might yet be my permanent fix. :lol:
A totally windless day, got to the water, blowing a gale, two hours later as soon as it was on the roof racks I stood rolling a ciggie looking at the water and it had turned to a glass out while I had been loading the boat on the roof. Very stable though I was only sat on a really thick sheepskin. (I would reccomend a bit of good quality sheepskin to anyone)The wind didn't realy help me to decide about a few things as it was quite blustery. Did handle some quite large wakes from large boats with ease from all quarters.
With the lower sides and my short legs I can easily stand astride and just sit down and get up quite readily.
Could easily get to like this boat.
missydone0001.jpg

Cheers John.