OK, JEM...... | Page 9 | SouthernPaddler.com

OK, JEM......

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
Fellow Forumites,

I have had 'good' luck buying precognition plywood. The boards themselve know
where they will ultimate be used and with advanced knowledge start warping in the
opposite direction.

Some fence panels recently purchased seem to have inherited similar properties.
:evil:

regards,

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Last year I found the simple solution to all that. Remember those tape players where you put a speaker under your pillow and learn while you sleep? Well, I do something similar with my plywood.

I unfold all the plans. If there's printing on both sides of the paper, I make extra copies so I can have all the directions facing one direction at the same time, up in this case. Then I spread the directions out on a flat surface. A garage floor works well, basement floor, etc.

Next, lay all the plywood down over the directions, add weights, and let them simmer a few days. The plywood soaks up all the directions, and the boat just sorta makes itself. After a few times, it gets easier.

The first time I did this, I made a mistake. Darned if I didn't have the deck pieces laying on the port side (that's left for you land lubbers, us old salts know a lot of that type of stuff). Anyway, I had the classiest looking port side of a boat you ever saw. Drew lots of nice comments.

Unfortunately, it drew some water too. But, I dispatched the first mate and a work crew with oakum and chisels to patch it up. I had to sail along with that pretty port side towards all the spectators, because the starboard side, that's the right hand side of the boat as you're looking for'rd (that's sailor talk for looking at the front of the boat) towards the focesal (more sailor talk for forecastle, where the sailor fellas sleep n play cards n sech), anyway, the starboard side was sorta plain. Compared to that spiffy port view, it was real plain.

Try this method, and if you have any trouble be sure to call me between the hours of midnight and 04:00 EST (INSERT CHUCK'S PRIVATE PHONE NUMBER HERE)

Y'all drop in a gain sometime, heah? We'll open up a kega nails.

islandpiper

Truly, great minds think alike!! I've been building Finnish Zithers this way for years, but never tried it on a boat. I wonder if I could put a picture of one of those popular movie star guys on my face and get some improvement? You try it first and let me know. OK?

piper

JEM

In case anyone is wondering, yes I am working on this project.

I'm up to 35+ pages of detailed assembly instructions. Starting to get to the home stretch.

This should be pretty slick to assemble. Came up with lots of good ideas on my own and with suggestions from others.

I've had to go back a few steps several times because I came up with a better way of doing something. It should be well worth it in the end.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
We've wandered so far afield on this thread - unlike our usual, self disciplined ways f communication - that I have no idea what the heck the boat is looking like. Are we now on a kayak? Decked canoe? Folding dinghy? Or oyster pram?

(I have no idea what an oyster pram is, but threw it in as my 'tention gitter.)

JEM

or it might be

RecTourA.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
OK, very shallow vee bottomed kayak w/ keyhole cockpit. If Piper-san paddles this - WHO is going to hoist his bent frame in and out?

"Ready on the dock there, old feller?"

A long, wheezing pause, punctuated by several gasps. Then, a hesitant, "yes"

Next, we see a husky, young, personal-trainer type lifting a Monty Burns look-alike over into the boat, deftly arranging his pillows, and tucking him in. As he puts a straw from the drinking glass into the old codger's chapped lips, he says, "OK, that oughta do you. Ready for your morning paddle?"

Another of those maddening, long, wheezy pauses. Slowly, the old fella raises his rheumy eyes, and asks, "Am I done yet?"

... and so it goes .....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
OK, very shallow vee bottomed kayak w/ keyhole cockpit. If Piper-san paddles this - WHO is going to hoist his bent frame in and out?

"Ready on the dock there, old feller?"

A long, wheezing pause, punctuated by several gasps. Then, a hesitant, "yes"

Next, we see a husky, young, personal-trainer type lifting a Monty Burns look-alike over into the boat, deftly arranging his pillows, and tucking him in. As he puts a straw from the drinking glass into the old codger's chapped lips, he says, "OK, that oughta do you. Ready for your morning paddle?"

Another of those maddening, long, wheezy pauses. Slowly, the old fella raises his rheumy eyes, and asks, "Am I done yet?"

From what I have been told ...(from several reliable witnesses who have actually paddled with Jack , plus I will find out next year fur sure) Jack speaks with the utmost knowledge on that matter ..NOT as a 2nd party but as the main party / person ( Personal experience as , me) .... .. Now you know why we never have any pictures of him out camping or getting in or out of his boat. :roll:

I never could figure out why the guy's would have a Come-A-Long with them on a camping trip. That is used to get 4 wheel drive vehicles or tanks out of the mud when they are stuck.
My guess is that one time they portaged him around those falls while he was in his kayak was because they forgot the Come-A-Long.
023.gif

When we paddle and camp then ....... There will be LOTS of Pictures, Ya all get ready for some good screen or is that scream savers, remember I will be behind that camera .... Guess who will be in front of it. (I have a spare lens if the original one cracks)

Chuck.