OK, JEM...... | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

OK, JEM......

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
Matt, I think that looks GREAT! I like the lines of it, I like the length, width, height.

I was thinking that the 5 major panels could be cut from 2 sheets of plywood and the rest could be done from some scrap pieces, maybe that is just a pipe dream, or I was thinking again, smell the smoke?

All and all this looks like it will be easy to build and fun to paddle.

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
I grew up in Madison, WI, thats where I first canoed with my Dad. I was recently back there and got a chance to paddle around some of the areas that I did when I was a kid. Madison is built in and around 4 major lakes Mendota, Monona, Waubesa and Kegonsa. These 4 lakes are all connected by the Yahara river. This Yahara is a slow moving river that has many miles to explore that are all very close to city life. The 2 southern most lakes are Waubesa and Kegonsa. These 2 lakes are smaller and are a lot of fun to paddle and fish in. My vote would be for name "Yahara" or maybe "Waubesa". I think these waters would best represent what this kayak would be great at.

adminold

Aug 24, 2003
Toronto Canada
www.neilbank.com
Since the idea of the kayak is to let the paddler be free to explore back waters, open waters , narrow creeks, rivers and to have fun just paddling / camping or fishing or doing anything else with it that they want to do.
Why not ... Freedom. :D

Chuck.
"O"ooop's ... forgot to sign back in as myself.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: names......

islandpiper said:
hey, who started this thread? Ponchartrain.........or Tangipahoa......Ponchatoula......all my stomping grounds here in SE Louisiana. Thanks.......islandpiper

OK....MATT... He Confessed..... :D

Now we know who's boat to sink, tent to burn, fishing rod to throw in the river. Then only feed sardines to for all three meals after we hide the Louisiana Hot Sauce bottle, when we paddle / camp with him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

JEM

Nice sketches.

I'm thinking I'll offer 3 cockpit options: "standard" kayak, keyhole, and open recreational. I'm pretty sure I'll offer full-size patterns for the standard and keyhole.

And I got the name locked in: Native American name for Lake Pontchartrain is "Okwata" meaning "Wide Water".

Good history leasson here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain

Should be able to do everything with 3 sheets of plywood. I might have to shorten it up 4" because that deck being a single piece takes up a bunch of space and is tight fitting on the plywood. The round deck really spreads out when you flatten it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper ... are you related to my wife ? :?: ??? That is all she ever tells me .. To Many Boats......WHAT ????? You are making another one!!!!!..
My standard answer .......A person can NEVER have to many boats, GZeeeeeee.

By the way I dusted the part of the kayak that would show up in the pictures before I took the pictures.
Now if it would cool down about 30 degrees from where it is then I could go paddling and camping but right now I don't want to fry fish on the deck of the kayak.
I would lot rather use a frying pan over a fire.

Speaking of that I want to do some catfish fillets and shrimp tonight for supper but I am about out of grits to go with them so I better get my rear end in to the store for some more good ole grits. :oops:

Chuck.

islandpiper

grits

those poor yankees......probably wouldn't know the difference between stand-up grits and fall-down grits.....(the way a fork acts if you stand it in the middle of a bowl of grits.......it either stands there or tips over, depending on whether they are breakfast . lunch or dinner grits...or a late night snack, good for all four!! Pass the butter!)

Fryng in Peanut oil? or canola, or corn oil or "vegetable" oil? If not, try the peanut oil. Man, what a difference. Very pricey, but you can get it hotter with no smoke and it lasts better.......guess we should move this to the recipe section!! Islandpiper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , we better move over the cooking section ... I really liked your post about the Dutch Ovens, a great way to have some good food.

We always get side tracked on here when talking about something and then it leads to food .... Drives Matt .......NUT'S :lol: ....... He must be on a diet or something and will not allow it on his web site. http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/

He is just to serious at times, my guess is that is why he tells everyone to come over here for the fun and games because we never know where something is going. It gives us the best of both worlds between Matts and here.
Over here If you think it is going to the left then it goes to the right. :roll:

Speaking of something right ....... http://grits.com/ OK ... Matt we will get back on the subject matter of building boats but you do know, in order to build a boat a person needs nutrition besides the wood and epoxy for the boat.

Now you know why when I welcome a new member I say .... Welcome to the Nut House. We do have more fun then is allowed by the law, whatever that amount is. :lol:

Back to the subject matter at hand ...... Kayaks.
By the way guy's....... Matt's web site and this one are two separate web sites owned and operated by two different persons. This is why I have Uncle Johns Pirogues on here, he offers the home builder a easy to make and darn good boat for there use.

The one thing we agree on , all of the time, is that a person, no matter who they are or if they are working or retired deserve the best in a wood boat that they can make and then enjoy by themselves or with the family.
Are goal is to help you in the construction process of the boat and if you want a custom boat drawn up to your specifications then it is Matt who can do it or one he has made for one of us.

The Swamp Girl is customised pirogue that Matt and I worked on for my use. This advantage is something you will NOT FIND anywhere else on the web. He has ( as you might know ) designed more custom boats for other members , both on here and on his web site. :D

If we (southernpaddler) do not like something then we also say so. We have NO Sponsors or obligations to anyone , except for quality in there product and the willingness to help ... YOU ... the boat builder. :D

Chuckles

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Guys,

Been showing picces of this lovely little boat to some mates who just happen to be potential boat builders. They all LOVE IT and so do I.

I am convinced this one is a winner and can't wait to see what the finished product will look like. Well Done :D :D :D

islandpiper

cockpit size and outlline

Matt, I agree with Mick. this one's a winner....small, simple, cheap (hey! that sounds like me!!)........ :lol:

draw the hull any way you llike and let builders cut the deck any way they like, it will all work out. I have't found my Popiel Pocket Fisherman yet so I may have to buy a new one. Are they still available? I have a nice little telescoping rod, that would work OK too. I just want to be able to cast to one side, not just over the bow.

Ya, boy.......cool boat. I hope I have enough epoxy to do this one after I finish the two pirogues. Otherwise I'll have to sell something esle valuable just to make it happen. Then.......I plan to start going in late on Wednesdays so I can get a boat wet early in the day. If I don't schedule it, then it won't happen. This line of crap about "be your own boss, work for yourself, just take off anytime you want" is a big fairly story....no such thing. Own your own business and everyone coming in the door is your boss.

So, keep it going Matt, I can't wait. Did you see my revised cockpit sketches?

Thanks, Islandpiper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

I love the look of that rounded deck but is it worth all that extra work?

Matt, I would be very interested in a set of drawings for a 14 foot version of this boat. - Okwater - love the name too. 8) I can picture it now, The first Australian Okwater - not only that, but a QUEENSLANDER 8) :D :D :D

Did I mention that my mates just love this boat. They have been procrastinating about becoming boat builders for some time. This might well be the one that converts them to the dark side. 8) 8) 8)

Islandpiper, Mate it is your idea, but might I very respectfully suggest a bigger cockpit opening? If you are going to fish from this boat, you will need somewhere to put you fish while you are in it. A small cockpit will pretty much, only leave you with room to poke them in down around your legs and feet. Not only that, from what I have heard about these gritts, you may need to exit it quickly from time to time. :oops: :lol:

islandpiper

curved deck

Aye.....the curve is fast (no center joint to fit) and strong (no oil'canning of the flat deck panels).....and really not a lot of extra work. OK, I get your drift on the cockpit size......but really, Matt will draw it and we'll all build it our own way anyhow, about like taking Aunt Minnies Chocolate Barbequed Catfish and fixing it up the way we all like it. Yum.

Should be a great boat. Can't wait. Islandpiper