OK, JEM...... | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

OK, JEM......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: jack

islandpiper said:
... I hate through-hull openings unless necessary. Further, stressing the deck panel, then cutting holes may not let things stay in the pretty shape we have worked for. ... A couple of milk jugs stuffed into the bow will satisfy me for flotation. But she sure is pretty......don't you agree?
Yep, Piper-san, she sure is purty. I agree. Only boats, airplanes, and women have such graceful lines. (sigh)

Like you, I prefer hull integrity over holes. Seems to me like building a waterproof roof, and then cutting a hole in it.

Prior to deck installation, I put a small pulley in both stem ends. I run a rope loop from each one to the cockpit area, and tie one loop inside the other one so they won't get away. I bend on a cord about 2-3' long on each rope. I tie the first thing to go in each end, (something small & light, like say a sleeping bag or air mattress), so it is easy to pull back out.

Consider using a cockpit liner, sea sock. Much safer than an open cockpit. They really work to limit the water entering the boat, and they contain all the sand & trash my feet track in. But, if you do use a couple of milk jugs, don't fill'em with mercury.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
skiabq said:
Jack, I had to chuckle at your last post. It sounded all too familiar to me. Just the other day my lunch fell of the back seat of my motorcycle on the way to work. I was slowing down and immediately recognized my blue lunch bag sliding down the busy street past me ...
I had a brand new, Thermos lunch bucket that committed suicide like that one morning. Bad stretch of road. One morning, one of those big rice bugs about 3-4" long hit me right in the throat. Felt like a judo chop.

Another day, an armadillo came rolling out from under the car immediately ahead of me. I just came up onto the pegs and let the bike rotate as each wheel hit him.

I finally learned that riding on the road is a long (hopefully) series of events where I was dodging death and injury. So, I rode the dirt. Wouldn't you know it - the damned trees and rocks would jump out and attack me too!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: jack

Kayak Jack said:
Like you, I prefer hull integrity over holes. Seems to me like building a waterproof roof, and then cutting a hole in it.

Jack

From what you guy's are saying I guess I am doing something wrong, leave it to me to do that , if there is a right way and a wrong way I always do it the wrong way. I just can't figure it out.

When I built my kayak I installed the bulkheads fore and aft. Then cut into the decks and installed the hatches.
They sure make it nice when packing the kayak for a camping trip and they have never leaked any water into the boat and I have paddled it in some nasty waves and rain storms. One rain lasted three days.

I keep asking myself ?????????????
What did I do wrong since those hatches don't leak ? :?
How can I correct that ?
What can I do to make them leak?

I will do a better job on the next kayak so the hatches will leak. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Silver River , Silver Springs , Ocala National Forest leaving the county dock for three day's on the Oklawaha River
canoeman.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Afraid I'm with chuck on this one. I HATE boats without hatches.

If it takes extra care to build and install them, then so be it. There is no reason a home builder cant make and install hatches that are just as safe and secure (and water tight) as those on a bought boat - or better. IMHO

I am no expert in building boats, but I intend to make & install 3 hatches in my wadefish and it will be going through serious surf. If anybody is interested, I will post detailed progress and pics specific to my hatches, what I am doing and why.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It's likely a matter of personal taste (and good judgement too?) It is handier to load and unload with hatches - sometimes. I just choose to keep my hull integrity in one piece.

No moving parts on my boats (including, sometimes, the paddler).

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
It's likely a matter of personal taste (and good judgement too?) It is handier to load and unload with hatches - sometimes.

Packing and unpacking the kayak is a breeze :D with the hatches since there are only two areas to pack the gear.
I know exactly where ever piece of it is. This is a problem when you have a steal trap mind, it remembers everything. :roll:

If I want a certain item then I know where it is in the kayak......it is here someplace... SOMETIMES.

Most of the time what I am looking for is back in the vehicle on shore, way back at the landing, where it is not doing me a bit of good. Did I say my mind is like a steal trap ... It is ... Rusted shut. :lol: But the hatches make looking for it a lot easier. :?

On the Serious side..........
I like my kayak, it is easy to paddle, fast and light weight. It will hold all of my camping gear for a fun paddle. I think Matt has hit on a winner here for the same reason.
Having a fun paddle before work or after work and then on a weekend or vacation, load her up and hit the water.

I don't remember seeing the length, width or depth of her but mine is 17 1/2 feet , 23 inches wide and 12 inches high and multi chine with a cockpit of 17 x 33 where Matt's is a hard chine which means it would be a lot easier to make but offer the same benefits.

Looking at the drawing I would be willing to say he has combined the best of several kayaks in his and added his magic touch to it which will make it one darn good kayak.

If I didn't have mine I would be building this one he has come up with... I still might since Mary & Neil want kayaks for wedding presents.
The biggest problem would be getting them from Florida to Toronto and still taking my boat with me since I plan on having some fun on the trip going up there then there and back home. :D

Chuck.

islandpiper

ok then

Ok Matt...when can I send the money and how much?

If I buy a set of plans, then want a precut kit do you subtract the pre-purchased plan set from the cost:?

Sounds like you have designed in some versatility......good way to approach it.

rock 'n roll, Piper

JEM

OK got a question about a hatch frame.

The hatches are going to need a little support, especially the aft hatch because it's big.

I was going to specify 2 layers laminated together that match the curve of the deck. Height 1".

My question: Does anyone thing having that frame will hinder the function of the hatch or make it harden to pull things in and out since that frame will hang down like a lip/edge?

The image below is of the kayak aft. One shown with the deck removed and one with the deck on. I'm hoping this gives a good visual.

My thinking is it could get in the way it that back end was really stuffed full. But then I think that it's only an inch and the back would have to be pretty freaking full for that to get in the way.

RecFrame.JPG

islandpiper

Matt, I agree.......an inch isn't a big deal. Besides, homebuilders modify things. In this case if an inch will be a proble, someone will make it one-half inch and twice as wide....

I'll probably not cut hatches in at all, but just make the seat flip down so i can find my sandwich.....

Lookin' good.

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Matt,

I don't think it will be a problem. However, wouldn't the hatch way opening lip consist of several layers of laminated ply epoxied to the deck? If this is the case, wouldn't those laminations sufficiently re-inforce the deck on their own.

A curved deck will be much stronger than a flat one anyway and say 3 extra laminations of 4mm ply, 20mm wide, around the outside of the hatch opening make it at least as strong as a similar set up on a fibre glass kayak. The deck is not meant to carry much (if any) weight, just keep the water out.IMHO

islandpiper

Matt.......how about a strip of glass tape or two in the way of the brace position. Perhaps a strip of carbon-fiber would stiffen it up with virtually no increase in weight or thichness. Having now carbon-fiber in stock here, I'd probably use a strip or two of 4" wide tape, epoxied to the inside.

Piper

dawallace45

I've been resisting this but now I'm interested , It's not as if I don't already have enough projects lined up , so Jem , how would this kayak go for a gentleman with a fuller figure , as in 6'1" and 230 lb ? and how much room in the back compartment , would there be enough room to carry a lever gun with a 20 inch barrel ?

David

JEM

islandpiper said:
Matt.......how about a strip of glass tape or two in the way of the brace position. Perhaps a strip of carbon-fiber would stiffen it up with virtually no increase in weight or thichness. Having now carbon-fiber in stock here, I'd probably use a strip or two of 4" wide tape, epoxied to the inside.

Piper

That might work too. I think I have another trick that will do the same as well.