pirogue X two | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogue X two

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Dadgum it, Jack, I resemble that remark. I thought we were supposed to be nice on this forum. I'm gonna havta start hangin' with a little nicer group of characters from now on!

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I got the inwales made up and installed and decided to see how much the Bayou Skiff "Lite" weighs.
Clam%20Bayou%20020.jpg

Slung it with some straps and put it on my bow tillering scale (spring scale 110 lb. capacity). Survey says, "65 pounds". I guess the name should be Bayou Skiff "Fat Girl". Lesson to be learned, every time you say, "oh, l"ll just add some gussets here", or "a little more cloth glassed down right here would be good". Cha Ching, add up the pounds! I still need some paint on it, gotta figure five more lbs. for that. The Pirogue came in right at 42lbs. with varnish. OK, OK, OK...... next time I could do things a little different, but I still doubt I could save more that 4 or 5 lbs. on the pirogue, and the Skiff, well, without "this, that, and the other that I thought would be cool to have, who knows, maybe 10 lbs.?
So here is your next best comparison Chuck, Uncle John said his weighed around 55lbs. without.......
Of course, all those exacting calculations about motor thrust need to be reworked now. Except I ordered a kayak paddle for each of the boats, I just don't want to pay more BOAT TAX just to have a pissy assed electric motor. I could use the exercise anyway.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My late wife had to have an electric motor so she could fish in the canoe. My kayak would walk off and leave it behind with just a medium stroke. It's pretty satisfying to travel 6-12 miles a day on flat water and know that it was you that did that.

Some folks get excited about 40-50 miles. I learned to get pleased earlier on in a day than that.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep.. The more you add the more weight you will have. I'm figuring mine will be around 75 to 85 pounds and I hope I am thinking high but if not what the heck. It is going to be glassed inside and outside and with a few more things to add additional weight but since I plan on trailering it , no problem. I know I could make it lighter since that is something I enjoy doing but looking at a small motor for it in the future ... going with the extra weight.
John only taped the seams on his and glassed the outside , then painted it , which he will post the pictures a little later on.
I still think it will scoot with a set of oars but I need to get it done to find out. :wink:

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
paint%20job%20011.jpg

paint%20job%20016.jpg

paint%20job%20019.jpg

Got some paint on the outside of the skiff, used some two part stuff I had left over from various old projects. I mixed powdered graphite in the bottom coat and the sides are and off/ blue white. Looking for suggestions on varnish for the inside. Never had much luck with that Min wax stuff, anyone got info on something better?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have used the Z-Spar Flagship or the Captains spar in the past on all of the boats ... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... do?pid=101 and it is some good stuff , Have some of the Brightsides Schooner Varnish coming in to try on this new boat when it is ready for the varnish.... Got it from CLC Boats. Especially since I am going to use some of the Brightsides Poly paint on the bottom of the skiff. Keeping it all with the same brand.

:twisted: STAY AWAY FROM THAT MIN WAX CRAP. :twisted:

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
seat%20008.jpg

seat%20012.jpg

seat%20011.jpg

seat%20009.jpg

I wanted to raise the seat up a little and the skiff is wide enough to have the seat rotate, not a lot, but 10 to 15 degrees either way. The seat ended up being just over 4" higher. I used one of those pedestal seat bearings from Wally world $9.00. I figured I could twist the seat a little to drive with a trolling motor, or when casting. The seat is attached with four screws, so I can revert back to the stock seat easily.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Do what you did and then do like bluegrasslover did with the raiser for the seat in the pirogue seat section ( Page #7 ) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=283

IMG_0543.jpg

Have it attached to the base you thought of so the seat would drop in it.

seat%20008.jpg

Then a normal seat made for any boat would and could be raised to the height anyone wanted it at and be a revolving seat while permanently ( so to speak ) attached but still removable from the base.

I think you have hit on something I have been looking for , between the two of you guys I will have my answer to the seats in the Bayou Skiff.

I was thinking of getting a replacement unit from Cabelas or one of the fishing places for there bass chairs.

The swivel seat replacement. http://tinyurl.com/y96aycz
s7_017381_imageset_02

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Chuck, I got that swivel in the boat parts near the seats, pumps, lights, etc. It swivels 360 degrees, I just meant that in the boat I won't be able to swivel all the way around, due to the beam of the skiff. I sprayed it with white lithium grease on the bearings, and Corrosion-X on the rest of it. I know it will rust eventually, but it should last awhile. I like your combo plan, a lot better carpentry than I came up with.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Came back to edit my post ...... The platform you made would work good with a frame around it if necessary a member / ridge across it for the seat to lock onto like the rib in the boat. It would keep it in the proper place and the sides would keep it from slipping off to one side or the other.

Dam the ideas are just getting better all the time. :D

Chuck.
PS. Will check out Wally World for the part ..... The one I was looking at has 360 degree travel. If theirs doesn't ... Hello Cabelas ........ I need two of these.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug said:
I made my seat a little wider than the plan, so I made the swivel the same "beam" as the chair. Other than that I like your plan.

That's the nice thing about it , they can be customized to suit anyone's ideas and comforts........ Like our boats , made the way you want them.

I really enjoy all of the modifications that folks do for there paddling pleasure and I would bet everyone else likes it just as much. After all we are here to share ideas and make them better when the ideas hit us.

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
captindoug
I like your swivel base. Every time I use my boat I tell myself I need the seat to turn. Let us know how it works and if the height is correct.

Thanks,
beekeeper

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
ready%20002.jpg

ready%20003_1.jpg

ready%20004.jpg

ready%20009.jpg

Setting up the skiff for the first fishing trip, still need to finish the inside but the weather isn't co-operating. Also a pix of the simple wall rack I put together, both boats nest together on it and then the blue tarp to keep them out of the sun and weather
ready%20007.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I like it, Dougy. Coupla questions. Is that bamboo pole for fishing, or poling? Looked a bit stout for fishing, so just asking. If it's for poling, tell me more about that? I've never poled a boat before.

With your boat up on edge in the rack will the bottom gunnel settle into taking a set? Or, do you have a couple of sticks in there as thwarts?

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
The bamboo poles are poor man's push poles. I put a slot in one end and epoxied a foot (3/16 x 6") piece of cypress to make a tee so it won't stick in the bottom, and the other end I filled with epoxy so it won't split and you can stick it into the bottom to stake - out in shallow water, basically another way to anchor. We used them yesterday in water to shallow to effectively paddle.
Clam%20Bayou%20028.jpg

That is a good point about a temporary thwart to keep any deformation at bay. The sides seem pretty stiff, rub rails, and inwales, but it couldn't hurt to be safe.
ready%20030.jpg

Check out tie downs under the hood, I cut some nylon strap and put it under a fender bolt on each side. When not in use, just tuck back down under the hood
ready%20033.jpg

ready%20029.jpg

The fishing trip was mostly that, fishing, one itty bitty trout, although I did get slimed releasing him. The anchor system worked well. The skiff has a small bowsprit and anchor roller, and with the swivel seat, by raising my legs, I can spin the seat 180 and cast across and down wind. The seat did not seem to raise the center of balance noticeably, and the few extra inches of height sure made it easier to get up and down. On the pirogue, we put an anchor roller on the stern so he can cast in the same way, across and down wind. The kayak paddles had mixed reviews. Much better for upwind propulsion, but the water dripping in our laps and water in the bilge leaves a lot to be desired. Down wind, we were able to use shallow angle strokes, but up wind digging in for more power, we got drenched. For any one interested in the relative performance between the skiff and pirogue, the pirogue is considerably faster. The son could put 100yds between us in 5 minutes. I am 60 lbs heavier, I had a big cooler with 6 drinks, 4 bottles of water and 10 lbs of ice, and the boat itself weighs 25 lbs more, plus added wetted surface with the transom. No big surprise i guess.