pirogue X two | Page 9 | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogue X two

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
We got out for a few hours Sunday afternoon, glassy smooth, Mullet jumping everywhere, lots of birds working,(the white Pelicans are here for the winter), saw a few small sharks cruisin' the flats. Took some great photos of both boats in action. Checked out the various trim levels on the skiff with me rowing forwards and backwards. Found out I need to lower the swivel seat base a couple inches, because the oars hit my knees/lap when I pick the oars up out of the water. Oh, did I mention the great photos? I would post them to share, but the boy, in his words, "I was standing up taking a picture of myself, and then I saw a couple big fish going by, so I turned around to pick up my fishing rod," this is where I hear the SPLASH, "and all my weight was on my right leg, and I lost the camera when I fell out of the boat, I am soooo sorry man." Did I mention I bought two small dryboxes for the phones and billfolds? He left his open during this exercise, and of course the pirogue shipped a little water when he went overboard. The phone is still working,...so far, and the wallet is drying out nicely. On a more positive note, my son did learn how to remount the pirogue from the water. So....,anybody got a line on a waterproof, FLOATable camera? Maybe Santa will bring me one.

The boy felt so bad, I felt bad for him, so I explained what we have to do when something happens on the Tug Boats. We fill out an "Incident Report" detailing what went wrong, what went right, what we learned, how to not repeat the "Incident". We discussed it in this form, and he came up with the fact that these things don't happen because of a single thing, but a chain of events where situational awareness goes away, and then "Chit Happens". I guess the fact that he "got it" makes loosin' a camera a small price if he learned what I think he did. As we discussed the evolution of the incident, you could see the comprehension in his eyes. He may fall out of the boat again, but before he does, he will consider the consequences. :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
captaindoug said:
<SNIP> he came up with the fact that these things don't happen because of a single thing, but a chain of events where situational awareness goes away, and then "Chit Happens". I guess the fact that he "got it" makes losin' a camera a small price if he learned what I think he did.<SNIP>
Doug, if he can learn all of Life's lessons that inexpensively, it will be the best deal in all of human history. It took accident investigators a long time to come to those simple realizations.

And, if he understands the concept of situational awareness (knowing what the hell is going on around you, how it can affect you, what you should/should not be doing, and doing it) he has learned a VERY valuable lesson. You could throw a lot more cameras into the water before you neared its value.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack......

No matter how cautious we are good old Murphy will enforce his law , that is just a fact of life as we move threw it. Weather we learn from it or not is another question.

Not sure about you or the rest of the guys on here but Murphy is a constant companion of mine , well , anyway more then I like but he is a nice guy , sort of. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
<SNIP> Murphy is a constant companion of mine <SNIP>
W.C. Fields said it best, "Never give a sucker an even break."

"Unplanned consequences" are a constant variable for all of us. Reading accident reports for kayakers, is very similar to reading them for aviators. Different technology, same kinds of errors. I suspect that Ogg, the cave man, performed exactly as we, his descendants, do. We are hoomin beans

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Yes sirs,
Jack, you got what I was trying to get across, The young man got a grasp on life's lessons yesterday, and I was a lot prouder of that, than concerned about the loss of a $100 chinese camera. And yes Chuck, I did mention Mr. Murphy, and that indeed was the last part of the "Incident Report". Losing situational awareness usually ends with some contrivance from Mr.Murphy, to our detriment.