David

Things You'll Need:
* Telephone magneto
* Wire stripping tool
* 30 feet of #10 insulated stranded electrical wire
* Wooden Boat
* Net

Step 1
Obtain the magneto and crank from a hand crank telephone. See the resource section for a source for magnetos.

Step 2
Locate the positive and negative posts on the rear of the magneto.

Step 3
Cut the #10 stranded wire into 2 15-foot lengths. Strip 2 inches of the insulation off one end of the 2 15-foot lengths. Attach the stripped end of one wire to the magneto's negative post and the stripped end of the other wire to the magneto's positive post.Strip about 10 inches of insulation off each wire's trailing end.

Step 4
Take a companion and row the boat to an area where fish are likely to school or hide. Drop one wire over one side of the boat and the other wire over the opposite side of the boat. It's best to have at least two people for successful "electrofishing" (taking fish with a fish shocker).

Step 5
Tell your companion to stand by with the net while you crank the magneto, being careful not to touch any area near the rear of the magneto where electricity is generated. A telephone magneto can generate from 8 to 110 volts of electricity, depending on the size of the magneto and how fast you crank. Stop cranking as soon as you see fish rising to the water's surface.

Step 6
Instruct your companion to scoop quickly, because once you stop cranking and generating electricity, the fish recover and swim away.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Actung.....Ya haf been on zee verge of hijackeration.......stop it now 'er I vill call zee hijack police. I am sure he izzz eatin' donuts at zee Geezer Cafe. lol

That wuz German talk. I picked it up....mostly frum Sgt. Shultz on Hogan's Heros. The Highjackerator mite put the electric magneto on ya'll it ya dont git back ta pirogue racin'. [jest kiddin'.....]

regards
bearridge

I know nuthin'.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Over here we call it "Monkey Fishing" and it is quite Illegal , Great way to get a lot of fish and even free room and board if you are not comfortable.
I have caught the Monkey Fishermen several times in the past, both using the device and later at the boat ramp when it was hidden. One give away to look for the unit is that none of the fish ( Usually Catfish) don't have any hook marks on them. :lol: If they had any game fish that was a real No No. :twisted:

Chuck.
PS. Bear.. Home made fry cakes , Ya know those donuts you do at home and sprinkle some Cinnamon on.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
game fish - fish with scales are harder to bring up than catfish that are usually grubbing around on the bottom

for effectively bringing up game fish you need to rig up a capacitor so you can build a charge then let it discharge - kinda like the old ignition systems for gasoline engines used to be

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
JEM said:
You're in for trouble.

Better take a magazine or hand held video game for something to do while he' trying to keep up. I'd be surprised if you took more than 2 strokes for every 6-8 of his. Seriously.

Matt, you were right on it. I went fishing with this guy again this weekend and it took him almost 3 strokes to my 1. And, he was using a fancy double paddle and I was using one of those narrow single blade paddle from wally world. He was amazed at how effortless it was for me to cruise beside him.