Sabalo build log | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Sabalo build log

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
Thanks Jack. Well, I have still been working at it. Been making dust and wood chips with a planer. Managed to put together the three decks this weekend even though it was Easter. The trim pieces are maple while the strips are cedar and cypress. The small mid deck to the left has a piece of bloodwood in it. It took a while since they all went through a few different designs and assemblies. Decided to put a little hardwood on the edges. Here they are as a group. Pay no attention to pile of cypress behind the deck panels. :rolleyes:

20200412_192919_50.jpg

Next up, I think I will stain the hull panels.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Your boat is going to be a beaut. I never put in the time for detail that you have the capacity for. I had my hands full just producing what I did. My boats are plain - tools to do the job. But, the wood itself still draws compliments when alongside boats of plastic, aluminum, or fiber glass.

Or maybe folks are really complimenting my good looks.
Yeah, that’s it!

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
Most of my projects are built just shy of ugly, but to perform well at their task. I decided to go a different route with this. I figured this may be the only ;) boat I EVER build, so why not make it nice, or at least not plain.

Turns out, I enjoyed the strip work using my small hand plane as a cutting tool for all the fancy angles. That thing can really dial in an angle once you get used to it. And yes, I am hoping to get compliments on the boat when next to the tupperware type, but I am also hoping for great performance. To have both of those I will have considered my job complete.

Now I am going to click my heels three times and say, "This is the only wooden boat I will ever build. This is the only wooden boat I will ever build...oh look a horse of a different color!"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Now I am going to click my heels three times and say, "This is the only wooden boat I will ever build. This is the only wooden boat I will ever build...oh look a horse of a different color!"

They are like Potato Chips , One just is not enough. I was only going to build the Pygmy Coho and stop there or so I thought , then came the Pirogues , Canoes , Skiffs and eventually several hybrid prototypes.

Chuck.

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
Cypress plank pirogue next???
Don't tempt me. Having enough issues staying focused on just this one.

But I have been busy early this a.m. Had my fist go at glassing. Started with a couple of fillets. Didn't quite mix enough wood flour in, it seemed a bit loose, but it stayed in place so I went with it.

Then the real stuff started, connecting the sides together with fiber tape and epoxy. This is where I am at the moment.
20200425_100547_50.jpg

Those who aren't color blind will notice the blue stain. It is an alcohol (denatured) based aniline, liquid made by Keda. I flooded each piece with a chip brush using long fast strokes. It took 2-3 applications to get it this bright. (My son loves blue, so I figured why not) Of course, I stained the wrong sides of a few pieces and didn't notice until it was time to lay out for glassing together. Oh well, before long, no one will see it as it will be inside and covered by floor pieces.

I also got the internal frame all together but somehow didn't get a pic of that. Have to post that later. Lots of little bits. It isn't for the impatient, unless one is trying to grow in that virtue.

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
Had to go get this pic.
20200425_103404_50.jpg

Sitting a bit wonky and not quite straight since I was fiddling with it. LOTS of measuring and time goes into this piece alone.

Fillets IN the scuppers. These are maybe 2 1/2" square! Jumbo craft stick to accomplish this. Have to glass these eventually. :confused: 1/4" x 1/4 squares wrap all scupper tops and make a "T" above the frame. I used scrap cypress for this.

20200425_102920_50_50.jpg

Oh yeah, and I started a paddle! I mean really, it had to be done!! Oh wait, none of you are my wife.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Continued work on the foreword deck today. In between drying sessions, began work on the transom piece and the aft deck. The aft deck is dry fit. Will have to fill in some of the small cracks, but here she is.
View attachment 1336

Not a whole lot to show but in my defense those angles had me stumped for a while. :rolleyes:
Continued work on the foreword deck today. In between drying sessions, began work on the transom piece and the aft deck. The aft deck is dry fit. Will have to fill in some of the small cracks, but here she is.
View attachment 1336

Not a whole lot to show but in my defense those angles had me stumped for a while. :rolleyes:
Real nice! I need get brave and try some angles, you maybe my inspiration

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
No pics this time. Just a quick line to say that I was pretty sure that Matt over at JEM had sold me one of those 3D puzzles of The Eiffel Tower or something. I could not see how those pieces of plywood could possibly fit together with those crazy curves. Well, they do fit together as I started to stitch hull chines together earlier. I didn't make it too far into it, just far enough to know that the curves DO indeed fit together.

Ok, so maybe just one pic of the cockpit. Found that it was easier to duck tape the outside into place then fillet the inside. This was before fillets.

cockpit.jpg

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
@tbon56- my middle name should be"improvise", heck it should probably be my first name!!

Lots of wire tightening and loosening to go to get her straight and right, but the hull has taken shape. She was flat panels and lots of doubt on Sunday. :p
20200505_191347_50.jpg

3rdcoastkayak

Mar 8, 2020
Abbeville, Louisiana
20200505_191228.jpg

If anyone still cares about this build, let me catch you up. Covid nor hurricanes got me though they tried. They did keep me busy, but in between the busy, I kept building.

This is a pic of the interior support structure of the boat. This was fiddly, lots of measuring to get straight and even, then carefully wire together.