Clicky

Scrap Brazillian Mesquite

Mar 9, 2019
Niel,
You might take a look at the Matt's craw dad at JEM watercraft. I've built a couple of them in SS&G. Very stable, lightweight, and short enough to go in pick up, even the newer "short beds". Also it has a transom if a small trolling motor is your thing. I highly recommend this little boat.
Good luck,
Andy
Thanks Andy interesting boat. My biggest problem with a canoe, kayak or Gheenu is the narrowness and not being able to stand. With nine fused vertebrae it makes getting poles or gear from behind me without being able to turn around.

Mar 9, 2019
After rereading all the post I believe you had two questions. One was, would a pirogue be a good platform for "inshore waters etc." with my stability and health issues? Normally a pirogue would be an excellent choice for these conditions but probably not for your circumstances. Based on the boating experiences you stated, I am not sure any design will be satisfactory. One route to try could be to pick one of the larger(wider) more stable paddling boats and go for it. It may not work well enough but you will have the satisfaction of building a boat. That is a rewarding and enjoyable experience in itself.
The other question was has anyone used hard wood flooring to build a boat. I have not. Wooden boats are built from wood so it should work,but some woods are better for the task. Personally I would pick a more traditional boat wood especially if this was my first build.
Thanks for your advice I may not be able to find a project that will fit my needs but I will keep looking and trying and may find something suitable, I used to enjoy fishing but like many other things it may just be something I used to enjoy.