Scrap Brazillian Mesquite | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Scrap Brazillian Mesquite

Neil74

Mar 9, 2019
Niel,
You might take a look at the Matt's craw dad at JEM watercraft. I've built a couple of them in SS&G. Very stable, lightweight, and short enough to go in pick up, even the newer "short beds". Also it has a transom if a small trolling motor is your thing. I highly recommend this little boat.
Good luck,
Andy
Thanks Andy interesting boat. My biggest problem with a canoe, kayak or Gheenu is the narrowness and not being able to stand. With nine fused vertebrae it makes getting poles or gear from behind me without being able to turn around.

Neil74

Mar 9, 2019
After rereading all the post I believe you had two questions. One was, would a pirogue be a good platform for "inshore waters etc." with my stability and health issues? Normally a pirogue would be an excellent choice for these conditions but probably not for your circumstances. Based on the boating experiences you stated, I am not sure any design will be satisfactory. One route to try could be to pick one of the larger(wider) more stable paddling boats and go for it. It may not work well enough but you will have the satisfaction of building a boat. That is a rewarding and enjoyable experience in itself.
The other question was has anyone used hard wood flooring to build a boat. I have not. Wooden boats are built from wood so it should work,but some woods are better for the task. Personally I would pick a more traditional boat wood especially if this was my first build.
Thanks for your advice I may not be able to find a project that will fit my needs but I will keep looking and trying and may find something suitable, I used to enjoy fishing but like many other things it may just be something I used to enjoy.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It's been a while.

I'll take a stab at the problem. A pirogue can be easily built to any stability standards you need...........just make it wider. A 15' long by 28" to 30" bottom pirogue would be plenty stable and not rock too much when moving around. You should be able to stand comfortably without doing the tighrope maneuver. You'll lose some overall speed though. Not sure how much wave activity you'll be encountering, but a pirogue might not handle that well.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
You might try some sort of light weight detachable outriggers that will fasten across a pirogue, fore and aft. Dave.

Neil74

Mar 9, 2019
You might try some sort of light weight detachable outriggers that will fasten across a pirogue, fore and aft. Dave.
I have thought of out riggers, maybe on a canoe it might be better around the flats here in Hudson. Problem is many days nice flat calm water but if the wind even slightly picks up it is a bit choppy.

Neil74

Mar 9, 2019
It's been a while.

I'll take a stab at the problem. A pirogue can be easily built to any stability standards you need...........just make it wider. A 15' long by 28" to 30" bottom pirogue would be plenty stable and not rock too much when moving around. You should be able to stand comfortably without doing the tighrope maneuver. You'll lose some overall speed though. Not sure how much wave activity you'll be encountering, but a pirogue might not handle that well.
Seems like the downfalls of a Pirogue make the canoe a more efficient rig for my problems.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have a pair of inflatible Sea Wings that can be snapped onto the sides of any boat. Screw in pad eyes on the boat side, and snaps on each end of thenSea Wings clip knto the pad eyes at about the waterline. Attach when you want stability, detach when not needed.
You may be interested?