Sister to DU pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Sister to DU pirogue

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Of course you know you shouldn't show pics of boats like that were Mick can see them , once he works out it's too far to ship it he's going to be working on building one and his shed just isn't big enough to fit all his boats and work on more at the same time , looks like you need another shed Mick

Funny you should mention that Dave, Remember the silky oak in my house yard? Robin had it earmarked for some furniture pieces. :twisted:

There is a saw mill nearby and I reckon I could get at least a couple of 3 or 4 plank boats out of that tree = probably more :p :D

You guy's do know you are driving an certain boat building Aussie totally nut's and way past any form of redemption by showing your boats. Not saying any names but I am sure Mick might recover Sometime.

Who wants to recover?

Ya'll gotta get Mick to come over to this side of the world for a while so he can see how the other half lives. Feed him grits and boudin. Cracklins and beer. Duck and andouille gumbo. Boiled crawfish and crabs. Turtle sauce piquante

God willing mate, maybe sooner than you think. :D

Familiar with grits, cracklins and beer, Keen to try ALL the other stuff. :D

dawallace45

Jack , it weren't the dung from that dead sheep flavouring that water , the sheep had been dead for several days , and I didn't say it tasted any good and it certainly didn't smell any good , I think it screwed up my health for several years after that You're about ripe to try gritz, then. (Jack here)

David

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
seedtick said:
Keith and I do this because: (obviously we enjoy doing it, but also)

1. We want to keep alive the old designs for a bit longer, and

2. We enjoy showcasing the beauty of the old cypress

Seedtick/Keith,

Do yall participate in the Madisonville Wooden Boat Fest? I've seen some beautiful boats there. Maybe I've already seen one of yours! :D

Russell

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
We're usually at Madisonville, didn't make it last year though.

You may have seen the Creole rowing skiff a few years back.

ea47da19.jpg

It won so many 1st place ribbons at boat shows that Keith stopped entering it

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
This thread has drifted so far from the original topic (fun ain't it?) that I had to go to page 1 to see what you were talking about.

We didn't weigh it but similar pirogues weigh in about 110 lb.

We don't paddle places where you run out of water and have to pack the pirogue. If we go walking where there's no water, we call that hiking and don't bring a boat. :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I'm with you on that one! 8)

Built the boat to carry me, not the other way 'round.
Now then, I may get out and wade while fishing, but the boat's still there floating. I carried the boat to the water "once in a row," so I could say "I done it."

My 'lil boat dolly does the hauling for me now.

That is one beautiful boat you built (again!) :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
We don't paddle places where you run out of water and have to pack the pirogue. If we go walking where there's no water, we call that hiking and don't bring a boat. :D

That is the folks in the south , we learned a long time ago that the boat is meant to carry you , not the opposite. My guess is that it's the Grits , Jambalaya , Southern fried chicken , Greens , Piquante , Gumbo , Etouffe'e and good down home spices that woke us up. While the folks up nawth are still toting there boats over dry ground between puddles they can paddle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
...While the folks up nawth are still toting there boats over dry ground between puddles they can paddle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Does sorta serve to separate the men from the boys, doesn't it. We can cross the entire state of Michigan with only one portage over dry land, and that's only 1.25 miles. And, you can stop along the way and hunt deer, geese, and pancakes.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I'm just happy the water down here doesn't go "solid" in the winter! :D

I really like that plank boat! Got a Cypress mill not too far from me, but of course, the quality of the local cypress is "iffy" on a good day. :cry:

On the other hand. . . Maybe one could "split the difference" and laminate up a decent looking "plank" hull with some cypress veneer (like, totally epoxified, dude!) and maybe come close to the right look, anyway. :D

Just thinking out loud. :wink:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
seedtick said:
And I can cross the entire state of LA ( north/south and east/west) with no portage.

Ergo does LA beat MI? :D
Comes close, but no cigar. Anywhere you are in Loozianna, you're within 6' of water. One line on the topo map covers the whole state. And, it's under water some of the time.

Kidding aside, there's a mapologist here who studies the old Indian routes. Interesting. Many of our major highways are old Indian foot paths. But, the water ways tended to get lost as we industrialized.

In truth, I'd rather drive across the state that paddle up hill and cut the brush to do it. About 25 miles of that cross state route in up a stream with brush. I expect they may have towed their boats some of the way?

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Last time I shot a buttermilk flap jack, it was sitting right next to a buckwheat pancake! A tough decision lay ahead of me. Do I go for the great taste of the buttermilk or lay waste to the buckwheat which is better for me? The buttermilk taste soooooooo good!! Hmmmm Bye the way the buckwheat was a three point or a full stack to some. I went for the great taste of the short stack buttermilk with a little peanut butter on the side slathered in syrup. Mrs. Butterworths of course. I am civalized to a certain degree! :wink: