Spicy Pretzels | SouthernPaddler.com

Spicy Pretzels

Kirk Dietrich

May 13, 2005
Arabi, Louisiana
This snack may not be the best enegizer for a paddle unless you have alot of water but they sure go good around the house or camp when the beer is cracked open.
I've been thinking about substituting the wasabi powder or horsradish powder in place of the cayenne for an Asian twist and maybe using some Garam Marsala instead of Italian seasoning.

Enjoy,
Kirk

KIRK’S CAYENNE PRETZELS
1 cup veggie oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
20 oz. pretzels

Pre-heat oven to 225Combine all ingredients except pretzels in a large bowl. Add pretzels and gently toss with a large spoon until all the pretzels are coated with seasoned oil mixture. Put pretzels on two cooking sheets/pans and bake for 1 – 1 ¼ hrs. Stir occasionally.

Kirk Dietrich

May 13, 2005
Arabi, Louisiana
They sure are, my kids really love them and its actually kind of a healthy snack being pretzels.
Of course they can be less healthy for adults depending on how many beers you drink.

Kirk

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Crescent City Friend Kirk,

Mitey fine. Wasabi? Sounds even better. Zatarains iz always the eazy way to fergit how ta mix spices. I dont know what iz in the Italian spices. Oldyaker will tell ya olive oil iz best. I aint never put it on pretzels, but it iz mitey fine oil.

I been on a quest fer THE Italian dressin'....fer near bout 20 years. Celery salt really kicked it up a notch. Mebbe cut the onion powder back ta 1 tsp. 'n 1 tsp celery salt? Bam! :)

I know ya bound ta use Rold Gold pretzels? :wink:

Ever eat over ta the Commander's Palace?

respectfully,

bearridge
bodine culinary institute

There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist, except an old optimist.
Mark Twain

Kirk Dietrich

May 13, 2005
Arabi, Louisiana
Bear,

Is there another brand other than Rold Gold?

I've never eaten at Commander's, even before my non-gourmet wife. However, we did go to Antoine's a few times a good friend is a waitor over there.

Sounds like you're from around here?

The celery salt does sound good but I like Kayak's philosophy. The onion powder gives it a kind of "ranchy" taste. The "Italian spices" I use is the pre-mixed kind from the spice isle.

Also, when I get my wasabi powder from Penzy's I'm going to try this recipe on some almonds and maybe pecans and peanuts!! I may have to adjust the cooking time though so they don't burn.

The great thing about this recipe is you can just about coat anything, I think the key is the low oven temp and the oil to stick everything to the food.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Kirk,

My nephew done some cookin' at the palace when he wuz in the CIA. He cooks in Memphis now at Wally Joe's.

I am on the river tween Vicksburg 'n Memphis. Once upon a time me'n Lance met a fella paddlin' a canoe frum the top all the way down ta the gulf. He sez it wuz okay til he got below New Orleans. The big ocean boats near bout run him over. He tole us he mite not ever eat anuther Beanie Weenie. :wink:

Let us know how yer pretzels turn out.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

English Bob: Well, actually, what I heard was that you fell off your horse, drunk of course, and that you broke your bloody neck.
Little Bill Daggett: I heard that one myself, Bob. Hell, I even thought I was dead 'til I found out it was just that I was in Nebraska.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Maybe I should try to make this a tuff guy's recipe and throw in my ground habanero instead of the cayenne. Only if someone else is buying the beer! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Habaneros ............. YES........... A 12 alarm pretzel..........bite it and it bites you back. :shock:

oldyaker ........ you will be eating them on the next trip , I am sure there is not enough water in any river to put out that FIRE..............

Chuck.
Pissssss .....oldyaker........down here . :twisted: . what or how do you dry them to make that dust from hell......... I have to have some.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

If a ground up habanero iz kept on the shelf, in time it wont hurt ya too bad. But if ya grind it up 'n keep it in the icebox, watch out. Even under that Roman law down in Louisana, ya mite be in a heap a truble.

If that woman done any good with her hot coffee lawsuit, jest imagine how much ya kin git off a fella who sets yer tongue on fire! :eek:

I kin see it now....jest like in them cartoons. The coyotes tongue will git ta smokin'...hiz eyeballs will bug out 'n go ta spinnin' like a cherry in a one armed bandit.....'n then smoke starts comin' outta both hiz ears.

All ya little pardners be careful when ya read stuff on here. Some of it aint near bout half baked. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
bodine college of law

He did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney. Dr. Samuel Johnson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Fellas,

If a ground up habanero iz kept on the shelf, in time it wont hurt ya too bad. But if ya grind it up 'n keep it in the icebox, watch out. Even under that Roman law down in Louisana, ya mite be in a heap a truble.

I kin see it now....jest like in them cartoons. The coyotes tongue will git ta smokin'...hiz eyeballs will bug out 'n go ta spinnin' like a cherry in a one armed bandit.....'n then smoke starts comin' outta both hiz ears.

Darn Bear...... Ya make it sound even better the Zantarines ....... I tried Zantarines on spell check and it (spell check) went out for some cold water. I think we might be on something here. Let the Good Times Roll , Light up your life , forget the firetruck ... just enjoy the spices of life. :roll:

Whoa, Doggies some hot specie, spicy stuff......... Not for the timed or faint of heart. :shock:
Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Sparkanator,

I used ta run the roads with a New Mexican. He cooked up some of the best Mexicanized food I ever ate. If the sweat didnt bead up on our foreheads, it wuz too mild. That wuz way back when I run them 26 miles races 'n drank a heap a cold beer.

I still like the spices, but I dont want the fire ta cover up the taste. There must be a safe way ta handle a habanero in yer cookin', but when I use it, I dont use much. I like the jalapeno better'n the habanero.

I been pushin' Zatarains mitey hard. It haz some a the best store bought spices ever found. I used ta have a icebox fulla jars of different ground peppers. Now I jest have one jar. [Jest like the homemade peanut butter which I give up when Kroger come out with the real stuff real cheap.]

My dear ole Ma, Miz Bear 'n a few more figger Zatarains iz a tad hot fer the table shaker. When I brung ya'll the homemade mixtures when we run the St. Mary, I didnt realize how good it wuz....til Swampy left hiz up ta the Lost Mine Campground. [I wuz usin' ya'll fer guineas....opps I meant guinea pigs. :mrgreen: ]

I been eatin' the mix I made fer Swampy. My Ma jest give me a Cajun seasonin'. She sez it wuz "too dang hot". Ta me it wuz mild, but I seen rite off this would be some good stuff ta mix with uncut Zatarains.

I am mitey sad that Swampy wont git ta enjoy hiz gift, but I figger me'n him bound ta meet up on a river sooner 'er later. I'll try ta remember ta bring him a new, improved mix.

Ya'll buy yerselves a quart jar of Zatarains Crawfish and Shrimp Boil. Use it strait, but don't miss a chance ta mix it with any spices ya got up in the cabinet. If ya hit on one that makes ya slobber, give a holler.

regards,

bearridge
bodine school fer southern culture

The only really good vegetable is Tabasco sauce. Put Tabasco sauce in everything. Tabasco sauce is to bachelor cooking what forgiveness is to sin. P.J. O'Rourke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

I have mine from that trip and the one before then.... I have also added to it what is left over in the almost empty spice containers....... It is some sort of good, but why stop there, when this works out so good ........ On ward and upward to more sunny horizons. :p Besides the contained it is in has not melted or burned up ......yet

Speaking of that the mix it is darn good on a sunny side egg in the morning. A person never knows ...... after all cooking is nothing more then imagination and good taste........without either then it is just day old oatmeal.

Just do me a favor and don't ask what is in it because I have no idea .... Some of Bears left over stuff and then what ever was left over that I wanted to use and is to good to throw out.

It would take a chemist at some Crime Lab to figure out what is in there and then I would be willing to bet ............. even they would not come up with the answer. :lol: but would really enjoy it on anything they cook.

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
draino said:
I used Zataraines this weekend on some salmon that I put on the grill, fantastic.

If ya dont have it in your spice rack, your missing something.
Draino

Based on bearridge's recommendation, we bought the giant economy size Zatarains from Mr. Sam's club. It didn't last too long.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend draino,
Aint it good on fish! I bet it wuz extra good on grilled salmon.

Friend Gerry,
A quart lasts me near bout a year. It mite go even quicker with two shakers goin' at the same time. One pure, the other mixed with various spices. Celery salt mixed real well. I bet cumin added would make ya wanna slap yer granny.

Once ya start that kinda thinkin', its like when Miz Marie Curie come up with radar. Lemon pepper? Black pepper? White pepper? Brown sugar? Okay.....that iz way out there. Ya kin mix several together....but I always make sure bout 75% iz Zatarains.

Go look 'n see what little bottles of stuff ya got in the cabinet. If ya mix somethin' that aint no good, jest chunk some more stuff in there. That iz how the culinary fellas come up with high dollar stuff. Look at Emeril? How do ya think he come up with hiz "essence"? Bam! 8)

Zatarains (pure 'er stepped on) iz good on eggs (fried, scrambled 'er stuffed), fish sticks 'n french fries. I bet a egg 'n olive sammich would be mitey special. [We need us a little yellow fella lickin' hiz lips......grits without Zatarains iz like a day without sunshine...kinda like Florida.] :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I reckon we need a moment ta give thanks fer cajuns. :D

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

There are three kinds of men: the one that learns by reading, the few that learn by observation, and the rest of 'em that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Habaneros ............. YES...........
Chuck.
Pissssss .....oldyaker........down here . :twisted: . what or how do you dry them to make that dust from hell......... I have to have some.

Dad and I raised them in the garden, than when they were ripe, we used a needle and thread to run a string thru the stems, hang them up and let them dry until they got real dry. We would break them off the stems and put them thru a meat grinder, for more fine powder, we would run the ground mixture thru a coffee grinder. The whole process requires wearing a dust mask and rubber gloves!!! :? Do not forget the mask and rubber gloves!!! :shock:
Or, you can go to peppers.com and just order the dust, a little goes a long way........ :roll:
Ya know Chuck, if you makes those habanero pretzels for the next trip, if someone falls in the water, we won't need to build a fire to get them warm, just feed 'em one of your pretzels!!!! They'll get warm!

Kirk Dietrich

May 13, 2005
Arabi, Louisiana
One advantage to mixing your own spice blend is that you can leave out the salt. I like salt in dishes but I like to know how much I'm putting in. With a saltless spice mix, you can put your spice mix in and ad salt to taste. When I used to use the pre-pared spice mixes, you get salt and spice. In fact most of them list salt as the first ingredient.

Kirk

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Old Yaker... yer listenin to thiz ain't ya?

Guilt waz all about me when i rode off wit those meat pieces... had to leave Bro Bar wit sumthin to get him feelin good ...... :wink:

Want hot? Use sum Hungarian Paprika ...... it'll burn the hairs off devil's B___s

swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Swampy said:
Old Yaker... yer listenin to thiz ain't ya?
Guilt waz all about me when i rode off wit those meat pieces... had to leave Bro Bar wit sumthin to get him feelin good ...... :wink:
Want hot? Use sum Hungarian Paprika ...... it'll burn the hairs off devil's B___s
swampy

Uh Huh :roll: I heard ya laugh'n all the way back to Lumberton when ya knew ya had the goods hid under yer redneck wet suit in the back of the pick up Joey! So hows it feel to be hairless? Da Boss no gonna lika dis.... :x

Paprika? Ice cream condiment! :lol: