SS&G No Plans Again! | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

SS&G No Plans Again!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thanks to both of you.. Chuck I have learned a lot about building lightweight boats from your previous post. Light weight wooden core and and thin epoxy layers seem to be the key to light weight building.

I'm glad my bumbling along trying new ideas helped. All I can tell you is don't let my youngest daughter see it or it might end up in canada like two of my boats did. Just kidding we make them to be enjoyed and furnish good memories for anyone , friends , family and sometimes even for ourselves. Besides that you end up with an original work of functional art.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The boat looks very nice no matter which way the strips run. The natural/bright finish lets the wood show its beauty.
We may have covered this but, how deep is the boat at mid ship? Are the tumblehome panels set at 90 deg. to the sides?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The 8.75" sides would not be enough for my payload. The width of my sides is about that much and I angle the tumblehome panel at about 115 deg. to get a depth of 10" at mid ship.
Your lower profile should decrease the wind signature and will be stiffer.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
The 8.75" sides would not be enough for my payload. The width of my sides is about that much and I angle the tumblehome panel at about 115 deg. to get a depth of 10" at mid ship.
Your lower profile should decrease the wind signature and will be stiffer.
Thanks for sharing. I need to make a summary of specs, angles, depth,length, etc and the effects on each other and characteristics in the boat. Just so I can understand it all!

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
I wrote this post about two weeks ago, but somehow didn't get it past draft. This should be all you hear about this build until it goes fishing in Texas in December.

I’m calling this one done. Still needs bow and stern handles. I’ll have to take care of handles and putting it in the water on our next trip to Texas, ran out of time on this visit. Here are the specs:
Llength 9’ 10’’
Beam 35.5 inches
Cockpit 5’10”
Flare 26 degrees
Rocker bow 1”
Rocker stern 1”
weight 23.4#
The rocker and flare changed as I built, both got smaller in small increments. I need to study that some more.The tumble homes and rails (in whales) are stouter than any boat I’ve built. No support required. One other note, the cedar strips that don't follow the lines of the boat just don’t look as good as those boats that do… If I named boats, this one would be “ugly duckling” :).
I’ll finish this post with handling qualities and pictures of it on the water in December.

jIjJM_d94zSHu5ifDdbPx7bYQDNwm4IUlvpCoDZbmVFuzMu75RSntYjJ7dcH_6VNHrnX3tK9ZQNFjtipAFn7T_8impMFmXjPodfdM0Zo9aDk6HZgQ8U75p6dkL0ftayhKN0jpPv6=s0

F-LUiC6Q8yxFrouuGFa6bLAMtmpA_ec-4Se0A6qy3gDvwy3KHZSsU4CU6a9EYRF1kwuDDqUuc_zSUhac78aS8P3UlEMLz7UkrQH--3AQJex_o47sLYFovwT8nunmTcNfjO06-NmR=s0

More in December

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Final chapter for this build. It's been a while since I called this build finished,hopefully last post for this boat. Evangel Christian Academy in Shreveport, Junior Class is having a fund raiser, so when the raffle is complete she willl have a new home! Here she is dressed up for the trip, ready for the action next week!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
It looks very nice and should generate lots of attention.
Do you have any information about the raffle? I don't need another boat, but if somebody over Minden way would win it I might bet to see it on the water.