Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 26 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
AWAITING GOOD WEATHER - AW VFR WX
FAA finally got "the letter" to me, and I'm OK to fly now. But, of course, the sunny days aren't here now. sigh
Soon, very soon, we'll go out in quest of a $100 hamburger. Which, by now, is more like a $200 hamburger. another woebegone sigh

We have some favorite places to visit, and some favorite routes to patrol. Enemy tanks may be apptoaching - we have to recce and report! . . . . . And, get a hamburger. ;-)

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
Unfortunately I have a friend who does the PDQ version from time to time. Once was enough for me.

Kevin

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, I'm not saying that I haven't PDQd some landings. And, not having flown for 5 months, my first few landings just may not be those gentle squeakers. I usually tend to "plant it firmly on the ground". I'd rather land firmly on the spot of choice, than gently squeak it in further on somewhere down the runway.

Plans were to go fly this morning. Yesterday, winds here were in the 40-50 mph range. This morning, they're about to 4 mph, on the ground. At 3,000' they're 25-30, and at 6,000' 45. That kind of condition usually makes for turbulence in between. I fly that stuff, but don't enjoy it at all. And, being rusty, I'm staying on the ground today.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It IS a long time. With low velocity winds on the ground, and high velocity winds at altitude, there is a wind shear in between. Lighter planes like mine get tossed around. Nothing I can't fly, and have. But, I fly to enjoy it - not to endure it. And, being rusty, I didn't want to have to deal with unnecessary issues. Can you spell WUSS?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
It IS a long time. With low velocity winds on the ground, and high velocity winds at altitude, there is a wind shear in between. Lighter planes like mine get tossed around. Nothing I can't fly, and have. But, I fly to enjoy it - not to endure it. And, being rusty, I didn't want to have to deal with unnecessary issues. Can you spell WUSS?
Yes. SMART
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
UP! UP! AND AWAYYYYY

Today, after nearly 5 months, the Duck and I finally got back up into the air!

Good flying weather is here. My schedule was clear. Got it all lined up. I took things slowly and carefully, and still made a few mistakes. But oh! The view from 1,000' - 1,200' up in the air.

First, I remained in the pattern and did two of the three required landings. Other planes were in the pattern, practicing landings too. So I meandered off to the south, over the corn maze, over the lakes and ponds, looking to see just what the heck was out there. Well, there were no advancing columns of enemy tanks, no rampaging herds of either rogue elephants or charging rhinos, and no coquettish nymphets gamboling in the fields. Here's what I did see.

Thin ice forming on ponds. Lacy, streaky patterns in the ice reminded me of frost on windows when I was a little twirp. Other planes were coming and going too. Some I saw, and others were "there" only on the radio, coordinating movements as we flew in the same airspace. Towns and farms were laid out like on a Monopoly board, punctuated by water towers and court house peaks. Little streams that (from the air, look like) you could easily hop across. School busses cranking up to return kids home after school. Sunlight and shadows serving to highlight the presence of some objects, and hiding others.

Back on the ground, I couldn't push the plane back up the shallow incline into its hangar. Chunks of ice on the ramp kept getting in the way. So I snaked out the winch cable, hooked on, and towed it in that way. Not the best ending of a flight, but a safe one.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Kayak Jack said:
Thanks, Bob. As we lifted off, there was an audible sigh of joy and reluef. I couldn't tell if it was me - or the Duck.

I'm sure it was the Duck! How would you like being cooped up in a dingy hangar for 5 months?

Glad you were able to get back in the air (no more whining to which we must listen).