Temporary keel strips? | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Temporary keel strips?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When fishing open water , out from the weeds in open water casting into the weed line , what worked best for Dad , my Uncle and me ... was one of us would row or work the oars for 30 minutes while the other two fished.
We were using fly rods on the Lake ( Blue Cypress , the head waters of the St Johns) and catching bream. The guy rowing got to keep the boat just right and take off the gills as they were brought into the boat. Then after 30 minutes we would change on the oars , so on and so on while fishing , everyone had there turn on the oars but only for 30 minutes out of each hour and a half.

Later in life I would take dad out in the canoe and paddle him so he could fish or jump shoot ducks , depending on the season. With one person paddling there are no problems with the wind , fishing by your self , expect to get moved around by the wind.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I go along with having one person paying primary attention to the boat and its surroundings, whilst another plays at whatever is the hobby of the day. That has each participant doing his/her primary job with full focus. IE: The pilot pilots, and the navigator navs - period.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick & oldsparky

Don't recall my Paw Paw ever paddling me (we did not have a boat of our own) but he drove me to every pond in Sweetgum Nation and took me as far away as Big Alabama to fish with some friends. My Dad and I fished lower Amite River. We fly fished for bream during the day and ran trotlines at night. A great time for a boy. :D We (like most folks who didn't live on the water) rented a boat at the landing. Daddy got tired of paying the $2 or $3 a day fee and had his uncle build him a cypress bateau. We took turns sitting on the front deck sculling as we fished. I thought we were the only people that fly fished. Just not many folks on the water back then. Ya'll were probably just around the bend. Sure do miss them. :(
My turn to do what dads and paw paw's do. I didn't know the answer to boat control was so close to me. Grandson is getting a boat paddle for Christmas. :D

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
beekeeper said:
seedtick & oldsparky

My turn to do what dads and paw paw's do. I didn't know the answer to boat control was so close to me. Grandson is getting a boat paddle for Christmas. :D

beekeeper

Now you are talking. When he gets it do him one more favor , take him out on the water one day and paddle it so he can fish , get hung up on branches when casting ( I call it fishing for Squirrels) and let him have a grand time. That favor would be returned more then you know , or from what you have said .... you do know. :D

Dad taught me to paddle a canoe all day long without switching sides . Later in life he had his own personal trolling motor for his fishing and duck hunting fun.
I guess to much of it rubbed off on me because I would rather be the paddler then the one in the bow doing all the work dragging those fish in or shooting the ducks. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a fishing pole bent over to the almost breaking point and jump shooting ducks is a heck of a lot of fun as you slip along.
The best part is that I ( we) have had some good meals from all the work :roll: that Dad did in the bow of the boat and sometimes it was Mom up there enjoying life. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Mom always caught more fish but was even with Dad on hitting the ducks , very few flew away.

Chuck.
Those were the good ole days.......

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I visited with keith and seedtick today and discussed paddling and handling issues.I will try to try different seating locations and load placement for better handling. Also learned some new ideas and tips for my "next" boat. My first time to use that word. Hope Mrs. beekeeper don't read this. :)
Thanks guys I really enjoyed the morning .

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bellybuster said:
why not use a pole? sounds like you're fishing shallow water. An inboard PVC tube for a pole to go thru (can't remember what called) similar to a "power pole" on them fancy $60,000 bass boats only manual

Thanks for the idea. I typed (pecked actually) a long reply, but lost it when I forgot to click SAVE befor going to another page. :cry: O well it was mostly Boat Science about "power anything" doesn't go well with "manual" for me.

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I never have figured out where posts go when you accidentally hit "save". Been meaning to ask. I don't doubt they are saved, it's just a question of "where".

GBinGA

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I don't know where they go when you hit save, but I do know where they go when you don't use save. They go "AWAY" :x and they don't come back. :cry: beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Look at the general section. I just did a post, figured out how "save" works, and posted a (very sketchy) overview. We can talk about it more if ya'll want, but I figure it belongs in "general".

GBinGA

bbhere

Dec 9, 2010
boylesboats.com
beekeeper said:
I have trouble keeping my boat in position to fish from. The slightest wind will move it. It has two keel strips 12" apart. I believe they are ineffective because I filleted and glassed over them.
img_3160.jpg

Would adding another strip over these help? I was thinking (usually wrong or dangerous) one 3/4" thick with square sides, not glassed might work. Do keel strips really help with this problem?

How could these be attached temporarily? Could I put screws and just repair the holes with epoxy, if I choose not to leave the strips on? If they help and they are to be permanent, should they be glued?

beekeeper

Hello,
As a boat designer and builder.
I am tired of seeing misnamed part of boat

Those strips ya mentioned is not what you called "keel". They're "runners"or "bilge battens".. basically for protecting the bottom while beaching the vessel.

Keel is usually a center part of boat, somewhat structural piece. Only work while vessel is underway, like a keeled sailboat..

Even if you put a keel on that vessel. it still would not hold your vessel in position, due to wind and water currents.

Ever consider using a anchor to hold your vessel in position?

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Well hot damn!

Please excuse us for our mistakes. We'uns are just po folk that don't know any better. :evil:

Mike

bbhere

Dec 9, 2010
boylesboats.com
mike said:
Well hot damn!

Please excuse us for our mistakes. We'uns are just po folk that don't know any better. :evil:

Mike

Sorry if I have offended ya.

Just tryin' to be helpful..

Honestly,if someone want their boats to be rock solid, then they should beach the boat and fish from the shore.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
beekeeper.....

Having those two strips painted and glassed will do nothing but help to protect them from wear and tear. They will do the job they were intended to do and that is to offer more resistance to the bottom of the boat and help it remain on track when in the water. Plus they also add more strength to the bottom of the boat.

Normally I like to call them a sacrificial strip since they are there to be sacrificed to wear and tear to save the bottom of the boat from that damage. They are normally attached with screws from the inside out so they can be replaced at a later date. They can be epoxied and glassed but it just makes more work when replacing them. It's the builders option on how they do it. I have seen them done all sorts of ways. :wink:

As with anything the bigger they are the more resistance they will have in the water , example..... A sail boat with a large keel will not be blown sideways as easy as a boat without one. Resistance is the key word. On the other hand the more you have sticking off the bottom of the boat the more water it will need to float and maneuver in. That's one reason like like a flat bottom with nothing attached to it.

As far as the wind moving the boat , Yep , that is going to happen anytime it is on the water and a wind is blowing. The trick is using it for your benefit and not against it , drift fishing. One good way to do it is to have the wind to your back and drop a chunk of chain ( attached to a rope ) off the boat to drag behind it to slow down the process of moving or just anchor. The major problem is getting the wind to cooperate since it always seams to be blowing head on with me , no matter which way I am facing. :roll:

deltafour1212

Sep 10, 2018
Hello, Jem

1. What size is the cross beam you used for the leeboard & how did you attach the leeboard to the cross beam?
2.How did you clamp it to your gunwales
3.Did it move around after while or did the clamps hold it in place pretty well?
4. I notice you have plastic oar lock sockets on the canoe , did the hold up to rowing?

Thanks

Carl

leeboard.jpg
[/QUOTE]