Texas piroque | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Texas piroque

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
cctyer said:
It's kida like a Tumblehomed-pirogue-yak-anoe.
Friend Chad,

That belongs in the Tumblehomepirogueyakanoe section. :mrgreen:

keepin' a eye on ya
bearridge
wierd topic cop

I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.  Oscar Wilde

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Its a knoepo
Well the boat is a little different and Mick yea the sides are bull stout
(was in steel business to long) can't have no flimsy boat
Cubby holes should be good for rods arrows and a bow and when put in bulkheads with hatches there will be a little more storage still need to do that. then my door knob rope holes and then down to putting on finish.
Chad yea the freedom 11 is next next ( I didn't stutter have to build two of them) girls have been checking on me about every week.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I feel better now
was putting glass on tumblehomes and could not get the white spots out of the finish
I finally threw up my hands grabbed the sander took it down to bare wood tonight got my first coat back on it over glass now it looks right
Oh well sometime s@@@ happens.
Ron

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ron I was wondering how the Texas pirogue was coming along. Sounds like you took care of that little problem and are back on the right track. I can't wait to see the finished boat and hear your thoughts on testing.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am getting closer couple more coats of glass on top and then start paddling.
IM001389.jpg

The boat is going to be pretty light.
IM001394.jpg

I will weigh it when get the last coats on
IM001390.jpg

Finally got the look I wanted on the tumble homes
IM001392.jpg

IM001391.jpg

Thats all for now
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

Mate, that is an awesome effort!

Did you work the curves out for the tumblehome or did you use autocad or something?

Outstanding job mate. She will be a great little fishing boat for ya.

I think you will be surprised at just how well these pirogues paddle. :D

respectfully,

Mick

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I just worked the curves all the measurements out in my head. The way I like to build things sometimes, just wing it and make it work.
Ron

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ron, I love the way she came out. You do great work. How about some demensions on her? The sidewalls look a bit shallow but with the tumblehome that should work good. I am waiting patiently for your first wetting. What kind of seat are you planning on using? The wood is real nice is it mahogany?

welcome to the pirogue owners club!

Chad

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chad
The wood is just cheap laun
at widest point on bottom
Widest at tumble home is 34
15ft 7 inches long and the sides are 11 inches high in center
bottom side pieces are 6 1/2 inches high
1 inch of rocker on the front 2 on the back
the seats will be the one I built for the freedom that unfold and use as a lawn chair need to build a couple more.
On the dark wood I will try to get some good pics and you are going to laugh at how I got that finish I used ritz die like you die clothes with to stain it black then wiped it down with water and a rag.
Ron

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ron, That is a slick idea for the luan. I gotta echo what Mick said, you are gonna love paddling that boat. It looks great and you should be proud for sure. Have fun and keep us posted!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am finaly getting the look I wanted on the tumble homes

IM001416.jpg

A little sanding and clean up and one more coat on tumble homes and one more on bottom carry handles should be ready to hit the water
Oh I have new little trick on carrying handles think y'all will like.

IM001418.jpg

Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Carrying handle
I saw something similar on some wooden boxes decided to try it.
Works really well quite light and very comfortable on the hands
I made this one a little wide but all I have to do is retie it.

IM001421.jpg

IM001423.jpg

Going to the lake in a few minutes to try out the hot air perow.
WWWWWWEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Has anyone ever said that building wood boats can become an obsession after they become a addiction that you just can't shake or get rid of. :lol: :lol:

If not then this post is proof of that and how sawdust and epoxy can take hold of you and never let go. Especially when you dream up a new design and then make it from scratch , paddle it and continue the process.

Yep... A little wood , epoxy , fiberglass and sawdust and the next thing you know you are on the water , what could be better then that. :D

Beautiful Job and one nice boat.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Hot dang......sunset paddlin' pichurs!!!!! Wonder if he took a picnic supper? What goes good with a cold Lone Star? Yeah......a Subway sammich. Mmmmm.....Mmmmmmmm

Hey Ron, yer yard looks good. We mowed 3 weeks ago. Grass iz purty much dead now. Good thing it aint az bad az 1934......the hottest summer on record.